Traffic Penalties Being Issued Based on Photographs in Chiang Mai ? ?

freedomnow

G/f told me other other day traffic violation fines are being issued now based on photographs ? I don't drive a car anyway and stick to the rules on my motorbike. But I do occasionally leave the helmet at home if I'm nipping round the corner to 7/11 for a minute, but other than that will get the lid on.

Today I saw one traffic police officer busy photographing everyone passing though the Sunday Walking street at school finish time around 4pm who did not have a helmet on, so my question is.....

"Will these people get a penalty in the mail as the normal helmet checks / license check-points seem to have disappeared over the last 2 or so weeks?"

Edited by freedomnow

yeah they are happening.. and while I cant confirm it, I saw a situation where I think cops are taking digital photos (not fixed point timestamped cameras) too..

Pulled up on a bike at the airport plaza traffic lights and as riders pulled up over the white line the cop crosses over the road, walks up, photos each bike from the side.. then walked behind and photo'ed each number plate.. but it was bizarre, no one so much as looked at the cop, and the cop didnt say anything to them, but he was clearly gathering the evidence and the plate details.. It was like a way to gather fines without the confrontation or risk of face.. Strange..

So the infringement notices will go to the registered addresses?

I can't help wondering how many of those would be correct.

And my Thai tutor told me that if a year goes by, they cant collect it..

I still have vehicles registered in Phuket (4 years since being there) Udon (never lived there) etc etc.. One person told me they had an issue at sales time, but that was on recent fines, no idea of the 1 year is a fact or rumor.

I got 3 in one day doing hua hin CNX... 1200 baht postal fines :(

Well, this is surprising, as they only ever enforced on the inner and outer moat of the old city and before 4pm to boot.

I can understand fixed position time-stamp speeding cams, but a cop with his phone randomly snapping people at a junction....

Edited by freedomnow

it doesnt matter they just get you when you do your yearly tax disc.office for paying fines is same place you get your insurance certificates,if u do drive in by holiday inn.

Now as they no longer allowed to make roadblocks, they just changed the way of collection. Not sure how they do this, perhaps one has to go to the particular policestation. Otherwise the "effort" would not pay off.

it doesnt matter they just get you when you do your yearly tax disc.office for paying fines is same place you get your insurance certificates,if u do drive in by holiday inn.

Not if you do it with the yellow cog places..

At least I just did multiple bikes and cars this summer, some of which I would expect to have tickets, and no bills..

This method of collecting fines is happening in a lot other countries .and it is harder to dispute that the offence did not occur. i guess on side is it could reduce the amount of tea money as all the photos and fines will be going through a system and technically traceable.

It certainly happens a lot in Australia. If fines are not paid on time, the computer closes down your driver's licence and no warning issued.

This puts your bike or vehicle into the police watch system, and your number plate detected. When you are stopped, you get 'done' for driving with an invalid licence, and things get nasty then.

It has to be done or else end up with a driving system and fatalities same as Thailand.

At least I just did multiple bikes and cars this summer, some of which I would expect to have tickets, and no bills..

go on give us a clue what the f--ck is yellow cog places,

go on give us a clue what the f--ck is yellow cog places,

He is talking about the places were you have to bring you car/bike for inspection when it reaches a certain age before you can tax the vehicle. Besides doing the inspection they can also arrange payment of the tax. They have this sign outside:

post-5469-0-75337500-1447547643_thumb.jp

I doubt that going to one of these places will enable you to tax your bike without paying any outstanding fines, though.

Sophon

It certainly happens a lot in Australia. If fines are not paid on time, the computer closes down your driver's licence and no warning issued.

This puts your bike or vehicle into the police watch system, and your number plate detected. When you are stopped, you get 'done' for driving with an invalid licence, and things get nasty then.

It has to be done or else end up with a driving system and fatalities same as Thailand.

same in different european countries

yeah they are happening.. and while I cant confirm it, I saw a situation where I think cops are taking digital photos (not fixed point timestamped cameras) too..

Pulled up on a bike at the airport plaza traffic lights and as riders pulled up over the white line the cop crosses over the road, walks up, photos each bike from the side.. then walked behind and photo'ed each number plate.. but it was bizarre, no one so much as looked at the cop, and the cop didnt say anything to them, but he was clearly gathering the evidence and the plate details.. It was like a way to gather fines without the confrontation or risk of face.. Strange..

This could be a good thing and maybe help to reduce the road fatalities if the police keep on photographing road violations.

As long as it is not just a crackdown, and the violators actually have to pay the fines which arrive in the post.

Just think of how the road fatalities will reduce if the police all over Thailand actually keep taking photos of the offenders

and make sure the punishments actually happen.

Also they must make sure it does not only apply to motorbike riders, but all traffic.

Edited by possum1931

I'm quite happy with camera enforcement if you can trust the integrity of those doing it, and when using devices that incorporate a degree of evidential integrity. Some BIB (with their particular brand of inventiveness, when it comes to generating income, which sadly doesn't seem to extend to ACTUAL law enforcement) with his Samsung Duos doesn't really cut it.

Very few. Collection rate on motorbikes is low, I'm told.

I was 1 of the few :) ... got mine from driving without helmet 3 years ago...and yes, the fine will go to the address registered in your green book

Had two camera fines both for speeding .I couldn't see any signs ! Total 1 ..500 2 1000 Wondering if they go up for number 3 ? I'm careful now just go the same as other traffic.

There are rarely any signs indicating the speed limit! I was driving in the Ban Chang / Rayong area when I noticed that my GPS was showing my speed in red indicating that I was speeding. The limit had apparently changed from 110 to 80 with no signs whatsoever to indicate where the limit starts and ends.

Going at the same speed as other traffic is not necessarily the answer as many of them may not be aware of / care about any speed limit on that particular road!

Alan

And my Thai tutor told me that if a year goes by, they cant collect it..

I still have vehicles registered in Phuket (4 years since being there) Udon (never lived there) etc etc.. One person told me they had an issue at sales time, but that was on recent fines, no idea of the 1 year is a fact or rumor.

I got 3 in one day doing hua hin CNX... 1200 baht postal fines sad.png

better to be stopped on that route,you get a get out of jail free card after the first fine.they tell u just show u have been done, and they wave u through.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the penalty through the post for nipping out to the shops after 4 with no helmet.

Paid it, just so there are no hassles...and you know I saw a cop in the same street...white earphones on, no helmet....double standards make me vomit.

Money shake down, nothing more.... helmet on all the time now to stop giving slobs easy money.