USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

1: I assume and recommend a tax free state or a state that at least does NOT tax social security should probably be a strong factor. Texas, Florida, Nevada are warm weather all state tax free. A few other states won't tax social security income, if SSN income is a factor for you. The Seattle Washington area might be OK. WA is state income tax free. I lived and worked there for a year. Having grown up in Rhode Island I didn't mind the rain. It is a bit gloomy though and you can be there any day of the year, even mid day in September and walking through fog or mist.

2: I am a Florida resident. North Palm Beach/Jupiter area. I don't use Obamacare or go through the exchanges yet as my blue cross plan was grandfathered. I just pay 28% more every year! Places around Palm Beach florida are pretty cheap. Nearby cities like Jupiter for example. Really nice beaches in the area. Decent little public libraries. Plenty of restaurant choices. You probably will quickly find that just walking down the street and passing dozens of restaurants and things like that just doesn't happen. You need a car to get around and go almost anywhere. There are exceptions to that, but if you haven't been in the USA in a while and have been used to Baht Bussing or walking around Pattaya you have to be prepared for that transportation change. The Palm Beach and surrounding areas have tons of great doctors. My Mom is on all that medicare stuff but I don't know the details and don't know anything about starting new or moving in to Florida or any other medical issues hinted in some other's posts. I do remember that when I moved there, I had to be in state physically present for 90 days I think it was before Blue Cross would accept me. I recommend a Dr. Boss as the general doctor. I didn't find a great Dentist there so I have no recommendation on that. Luckily I have been working in the San Diego CA area on a contract on and off since 2009 and I got a guy here that I would go out of my way for exams and treatments. Melbourne Florida area is cheap. There is a nice Wat Thai up there. It is on a nice tract of land. Very nice Sunday food court. Very friendly people. The temple itself is small and more outdoors semi enclosed than closed, but I think they are planning an expansion.

3. I don't recommend border states such as Arizona or New Mexico or Texas or if you are near the Mexican border. I have worked and lived in all of them as part of my contract work. They are decent areas, but you will run into border and immigration checkpoints on the Interstate I-10, especially in New Mexico. I was working in Las Cruces and it was just distasteful to be on the highway and be stopped. Reminds me of the 60s and 70s when we used to snicker at the East German or Russian police checkpoints. Arizona is very hot and dry and will be quite a change from Thailand weather. New Mexico is pretty as you get up towards the Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas.

4. Southern California has the great weather of course. As many Thai restaurants as one could want. State Income tax is high. Housing or rental prices are high anywhere near a city.

• Like 1

Upper Michigan!!??? Have you rejoined the local militia yet? wink.png

Seriously, I got several good friends who live in Michigan and they love it...but too cold for me...I'm a warm weather boy.

Like most folks here, I think the Michigan militia stuff is one of those media generated things. Never heard of them, never met any, and likely never will. Most people in Michigan are the type that would stop to help you no matter what is going on. Exceptional traits. Here in Upper Michigan, I have no doubt that if I break down, the first car coming by will stop to help. But.... it might be a while as the roads are deserted at some times.

Florida is a BIG state. Whenever Florida is mentioned you most always hear beach this and beach that. The best places to live in Florida IMHO are about 50 miles from the Atlantic or Gulf coasts except maybe for some panhandle locations.

The Florida Panhandle is also referred to as Baja Alabama. tongue.png

• Like 2

Florida is a BIG state. Whenever Florida is mentioned you most always hear beach this and beach that. The best places to live in Florida IMHO are about 50 miles from the Atlantic or Gulf coasts except maybe for some panhandle locations.

The Florida Panhandle is also referred to as Baja Alabama. tongue.png

... or Redneck Riviera.

• Like 1

I must say the closest I got was a Georgia/Florida line crossing inland from the coast and fuel stop was a 1930's pool hall full of good old boys - never so glad to get back on the road again - felt safer in the no-go areas of Miami. Yes, things may have changed in the last 25 years - but then again; we are talking Florida.

Unlike Thailand and other hot weather locations, everyone does not hide from the sun for much, if not most of each day.

This might be the reason:

Spokane 86 sunny day 88 partly sunny days per year

But admit have heard many who do like Washington - but believe we are talking elder years when outdoor life may be restricted or not an option for poster.

Unlike Thailand and other hot weather locations, everyone does not hide from the sun for much, if not most of each day.

This might be the reason:

Spokane 86 sunny day 88 partly sunny days per year

But admit have heard many who do like Washington - but believe we are talking elder years when outdoor life may be restricted or not an option for poster.

You maybe right, however, I think milder climates are even nicer for the elderly. P.S. I am 65 and my wife is 66 so I suppose we are in or rapidly moving towards the elderly category.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Hawaii might be up your alley. Oahu is likely to be very expensive. The Big Island, Hilo side is likely to be a cheaper fit. Are you hoping to couchsurf or house-sit? Some guys lived out in puna side, where there were 'off the grid' places you could stay for $100/mo or so. There were also some 'sharecropping' or nature retreat type of arrangements where you work (usually some type of farming, gardening) and your eating and food arrangements are free or low cost. There may be an application fee to weed out the freeloaders as they often do more harm than good. Or reduced cost. Lots of people were on food stamps, but I never bothered. Food stamps are not a bad idea actually and you can possibly trade some of it for favors or cash equivalent on a limited basis.

One guy I met buys a minivan (appx $2k) and makes the back part of it into a sleeping arrangement and installs a small inverter. He does that every year for about 4 months out of the year. I think he took showers at the beach water washing stations. There are a couple of places where you can rent an area to get electric and water for the day/week/month. One advantage is that you are mobile + you save on rent. Then you offload it before you head back to the mainland, so you can recoup some of your investment.

A shared bath box apt where i stayed 5 years ago was almost $500/mo which included electric and water. It was less than 100m from the Hilo farmers market. I think the farmers market also has some bunk beds.....$20/day or so?

They have a free air bus service that can take you to/from Kona side and to other parts of the island (not sure if it is still free). Hitchhiking was still very common and I gave many people rides when I was there.

House-sitting would not be limited to hawaii. But people were definitely creative with some of their living arrangements to save money. Shopping for plane tickets is also an art. Keep your eyes peeled. A friend who went back to San Fransisco just got a one-way ticket for under $500 USD with 2 stops in China and 24 hour travel time; expedia or travelocity I forgot which one his sister used; that was about 2.5 weeks before he had to leave I wanted to actually see the itinerary myself, but I suppose anything is possible if your timing is perfect.

Edited by 4evermaat

This is an interesting discussion. So many who live in warmer climates (and I have been guilty in the past) frame each question and solution based on the weather. IMO when talking about Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Thailand etc there are really only two seasons - hot and not so hot. In that you have experienced life in Thailand, I suggest considering a different direction.

We spend the winter months in Thailand and the rest of the year in Spokane, WA. It is a small but very nice city. It has magnificent summers, in that they allow one to get out and move and enjoy. Within a short drive are lakes, forests and mountains. Unlike Thailand and other hot weather locations, everyone does not hide from the sun for much, if not most of each day. We hike, camp, visit and enjoy the outdoors.

I am a triathlete, so I spend a great deal of time here training so that I am in shape when I return. Training in Thailand really is, for the most part, brutal. I do miss those great 30 - 40 degree F runs and 50 and 60 degree F bike rides.

The cooler climates provide some breathtaking scenery as well, and, at least in Washington state, there is no worry about nasty bugs, snakes or other critters that can cause serious damage. And while cities like Seattle, and Portland Oregon are expensive to live in, they are easily within driving distance.

Each time we go back in the early spring, I am once again amazed at my luck in living in such a beautiful location. The western part of the US offers a magnificence that is unparalleled in most of the rest of the world.

I came across this photo shoot, and while I have no desire to live in my car, it does remind me of how great that part of the world really is.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1856826/traveling-toaster-carl-zoch-photography?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebookpost

With all due respect Al, Spokane is a shit hole. You're right in saying that much more beautiful places are nearby. it is not a place a former Thailand expat would want to live year round.

As a native San Franciscan who has also lived in Oregon, Washington and New Mexico I suggest Jing take a look at Las Cruces. I lived there for about 3 years, 20 years ago, and it was interesting then with great food. It is much more developed now and perhaps even "hip"/ It's a college town which is a vibe I always like. Give it a look. Better than Texas anyway. Which is the ugliest state in the union.

• Like 1

This is an interesting discussion. So many who live in warmer climates (and I have been guilty in the past) frame each question and solution based on the weather. IMO when talking about Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Thailand etc there are really only two seasons - hot and not so hot. In that you have experienced life in Thailand, I suggest considering a different direction.

We spend the winter months in Thailand and the rest of the year in Spokane, WA. It is a small but very nice city. It has magnificent summers, in that they allow one to get out and move and enjoy. Within a short drive are lakes, forests and mountains. Unlike Thailand and other hot weather locations, everyone does not hide from the sun for much, if not most of each day. We hike, camp, visit and enjoy the outdoors.

I am a triathlete, so I spend a great deal of time here training so that I am in shape when I return. Training in Thailand really is, for the most part, brutal. I do miss those great 30 - 40 degree F runs and 50 and 60 degree F bike rides.

The cooler climates provide some breathtaking scenery as well, and, at least in Washington state, there is no worry about nasty bugs, snakes or other critters that can cause serious damage. And while cities like Seattle, and Portland Oregon are expensive to live in, they are easily within driving distance.

Each time we go back in the early spring, I am once again amazed at my luck in living in such a beautiful location. The western part of the US offers a magnificence that is unparalleled in most of the rest of the world.

I came across this photo shoot, and while I have no desire to live in my car, it does remind me of how great that part of the world really is.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1856826/traveling-toaster-carl-zoch-photography?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebookpost

With all due respect Al, Spokane is a shit hole. You're right in saying that much more beautiful places are nearby. it is not a place a former Thailand expat would want to live year round.

As a native San Franciscan who has also lived in Oregon, Washington and New Mexico I suggest Jing take a look at Las Cruces. I lived there for about 3 years, 20 years ago, and it was interesting then with great food. It is much more developed now and perhaps even "hip"/ It's a college town which is a vibe I always like. Give it a look. Better than Texas anyway. Which is the ugliest state in the union.

A shit hole? I suppose you are measuring Spokane the way you measure and recommend Las Cruces - you were there for a while 20 years ago so it must be great.

But you are right - no where is perfect for everyone. My point was to suggest not automatically discounting locations because the weather is not tropical and mind boggling hot for much, if not most of the year. The US is big and offers a wide range of places to live and many are really nice, and reasonably inexpensive.

However, as to a previous post, no matter how great Hawaii might be, if it means living in a van and being relegated to showers at beach stalls, you can have it.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

I worked in Las Cruces for eight months a few years ago when I was working at the NASA TDRSS site just East of there. Way too close to Juarez, one of the worst crime border areas and crossings with Mexico. In fact upon arrival we were all given very strong security and safety warnings about the area. But as a city it had some potential. On the hot and dry side of course and your typical house uses noisy ugly rooftop mounted swamp coolers. Really unattractive. My friend had a very modern new construction and the bloody thing had monstrously thick walls and a large shade roof overhang layout. The place looked like a rocket blockhouse safety house as you drove up! Thick walls are good for insulation, but architecture not appealing to me

However, as to a previous post, no matter how great Hawaii might be, if it means living in a van and being relegated to showers at beach stalls, you can have it.

you don't have to live out of a van. That was one person's choice. But to have at least a studio apt/bungalow with electricity and water? I can't see less than $1000/mo unless you are away from everything on the Big Island...and on Oahu? Now (high season)? So you'd have to get lucky with a private room arrangement, sub-let,, roommate, etc, on craigslist. Or, with a little more luck can give you a house-sitting arrangement. Couchsurfing is more short term, but maybe the host can give you a lead.

Workshare agreements can be had also on some of the plantations/farm/retreats, and they vary in price depending on how much creature comforts you want and how much work you do. There was a workshare from one of the retreats, where you paid $1k/month. But you got 3 organic meals a day, air con room, wifi, yoga practice, etc; it was a nice place. There are off-grid places that are like $100/mo...bring your own mosquito net. Some of the free places may still have an application fee and waiting list depending on how well managed it is. Not just Hawaii....there are other places that do this. It depends on what you can afford, what you are trying to accomplish, etc.

• Like 1

OK, I'm back.

It's cool with me however this discussion evolves, but personally I know I definitely need a stable place to be, even it it's pretty horrible.

No, I don't want to live in a mobile home either.

So given my assumed economic depression should I be pushed into repatriation, that does leave places with well under average rents.

I may even be in a position to buy something but it would need to be very cheap and of course there is it again, a cheaper region ... and of course I missed the bottom of the housing crash when you could get livable townhouse condos in suburbs of some cities for 30K USD.

I also would love walk-ability and good public transportation ... based on my research not really very available outside some less than attractive sounding places like Cleveland. (Which I have yet to look into.)

Already mentioned the desire for diverse foods.

Didn't mention I would also like an active cultural scene, such as live theater.

But cold winters really are a turn off so if it's cold, it would have to be super cheap or have cultural attractions to compensate.

So far, Spokane having the very cold winters doesn't seem to have much in the type of culture I would like. The outdoors, yes, but I don't really care.

Then there is the Obamacare thing.

It appears Lousiana will likely go into expanded Medicaid zone after the next election.

I can't see New Orleans, too intense, very humid, bad winters because of the humidity, and the storm issue, and likely the remaining housing stock is more expensive now.

Never been to Baton Rouge. Their 2nd city and capital. I'm sure it's hot and humid in summer but how do the winters compare to New Orleans?

In case you're not familiar with this issue, in VERY humid zones you FEEL the cold much more even if the temp isn't that low.

Baton Rouge does seem to have cheaper housing.

Albuquerque still on the radar ... housing seems a bit cheaper than many places, and New Mexico is "exotic" enough that maybe it will seem a little like a foreign country, which is a plus.

Then there is PITTSBURGH. It really sounds great culturally and foodwise but there are cold winters and unfortunately it's been discovered so not nearly as cheap as it was. Real estate booming ... oh well, that place seems really attractive. Described as being geographically as interesting as Lisbon and San Francisco. I would say for those better off than me wanting urban pleasures but can't afford New York or SF to consider that place and buy something if you can. Even with the rise in prices, seems like a great investment.

Arizona, I know nothing about that place. Maybe I should.

Hawaii? Forget about it for me. Those house sitting ideas are way to Bohemian for me.

To add, I don't really want to get into details of what's driving my concern about repatriation, but I do want to say it is NOT about any kind of health crisis or going broke. So don't feel to sorry for me, or say I told you so either, but it is true if I go back there, economics is going to mean a major degradation in my material quality of life.

Pittsburgh!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrea-poe/pittsburgh-the-coolest-american-city-you-havent-been-to_b_6424518.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/travel/06hours.html

PITTSBURGH has undergone a striking renaissance from a down-and-out smokestack to a gleaming cultural oasis. But old stereotypes die hard, and Pittsburgh probably doesn’t make many people’s short list for a cosmopolitan getaway. Too bad, because this city of 89 distinct neighborhoods is a cool and — dare I say, hip—city. There are great restaurants, excellent shopping, breakthrough galleries and prestigious museums. The convergence of three rivers and surrounding green hills also make it a surprisingly pretty urban setting. And if the Pirates are in town, head over to PNC Park. Besides the game, the ballpark offers a great excuse to explore downtown Pittsburgh and the river views.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I will have to check out Pittsburgh. Sounds interesting.

Portland Oregon sounds like it may check many of your boxes? Rents are going up but no need for a car there.

Many cities also have "income retricted" rentals if you make under 30k/year. I lived in one many years ago in the DC area. Brand new and great location. Google it for any city you are considering and/or search key words on craigslist.

Edited by BKKSnowBird

Yes well years ago I spent about two weeks in Portland (without a car) with a view for checking it out as a place to live and although of course I had a great time I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. It already seemed overpriced then. Nowadays, you can find many news stories saying the alternative types that moved there to live their creative living dreams are moving out in droves. Priced out basically. You know the old joke -- Portland, where the young go to retire! cheesy.gif

Anyway, I looked a bit into Phoenix and that was interesting.

It's a big city with a shocking number of days over 100 degrees F. But it's a DRY heat. Heh heh.

Also a high crime rate.

But food-wise it seems good to me. A number of Ethiopian and Vietnamese restaurants but the Chinese food sounds very weak.

But the most intriguing thing is the REAL ESTATE.

Based on superficial research it appears that 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse condos can be had for 60K USD and seeming rather central.

Owing such a condo would be a good economic thing for me in retirement. Having that second rentable room for example would be a useful thing to have.

Seems to much more of such low priced options than Albuquerque.

I do realize Phoenix has a lot of negatives and I might need to buy a gun! (Like my neighbors.)

Anyone here who has lived in Phoenix want to spill the refried beans on the joint? No haven't even been there. Only have driven through the state, not past Phoenix.

Edited by Jingthing

There is always a reason for the low price! But I can't afford a high price.

I get why people love Portland. I just don't. C'est la vie. Just as well as I can't afford it. I like Seattle a lot of better which I also can't afford.

Apparently there are a lot of SNAKES in Phoenix? Could be a deal breaker. w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Not sure how that would be a deal breaker - there are a lot of snakes here in Thailand in case anyone is not aware of it - I have been up close in the wild with cobras, vipers, banded krait and pythons here, as have many others, without incident. Yes I recall road stops in New Mexico having snake warnings so it is a factor in that part of the country - but really would not consider it much of a danger for retirement.

Not sure how that would be a deal breaker - there are a lot of snakes here in Thailand in case anyone is not aware of it - I have been up close in the wild with cobras, vipers, banded krait and pythons here, as have many others, without incident. Yes I recall road stops in New Mexico having snake warnings so it is a factor in that part of the country - but really would not consider it much of a danger for retirement.

Yes I was joking. But I do hate snakes. Really the heat, traffic, urban sprawl and crime are the biggest negs. Like I've said I have some sucky choices to make if I move back. Edited by Jingthing

Believe heat (dry heat is not felt nearly as much) - I say that having lived in Delhi several years - an swamp cooling is a lot cheaper than what we have to do here. Traffic is much better anywhere in the States than here IMHO - but public transport is not. So yes a different lifestyle but believe you could adapt. Crime could be an issue most low income places - but believe being older makes most of us more cautious and street smart enough to be able to avoid most potential issues - we know enough not to appear to be a walking ATM.

I suppose it's worth saying before anyone else does that being able to "afford" to retire in Thailand perhaps for life doesn't mean that you would be able to well afford a decent life if going back at a material level that would pleasnt. I realize many people have real estate in the old country and other strong support systems (which may or may not hold up). But for those that don't, it's something to consider before making the leap.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1