USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Useful graphic about how much space 200K USD buys in different cities.

Nothing really very surprising, but it's dramatic to see the info presented this way:

http://digg.com/2018/how-much-house-200-k-visualized

I think that list may work for affordable cities but for a place like Los Angeles, there are only 2 listings (including homes/townhomes/condos) at 200k or under, one of which has no kitchen or bathrooms.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/2445-E-113th-St-Unknown/home/7313514

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/9577-Maie-Ave-90002/home/7301330

I think that list may work for affordable cities but for a place like Los Angeles, there are only 2 listings (including homes/townhomes/condos) at 200k or under, one of which has no kitchen or bathrooms.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/2445-E-113th-St-Unknown/home/7313514

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/9577-Maie-Ave-90002/home/7301330
You obviously took it way too literally.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wonder what one of these custom designed "Living Vehicles" costs?
They ditched pricey home ownership for a small house on wheels — and they love it
http://www.paywallnews.com/life/They-ditched-pricey-home-ownership-for-a-small-house-on-wheels-—-and-they-love-it.rJpQek6awX1Q.html

As they are custom, it likely depend on the configuration.

But generally, used, older RVs are real cheap
45 minutes ago, mogandave said:

http://www.paywallnews.com/life/They-ditched-pricey-home-ownership-for-a-small-house-on-wheels-—-and-they-love-it.rJpQek6awX1Q.html

As they are custom, it likely depend on the configuration.

But generally, used, older RVs are real cheap

I was obviously asking about the one in the story which nobody said was used and obviously is designed for comfortable living.

So I did look it up. As suspected, very much NOT CHEAP!

That is unless you're a California cashing out of a good chunk of real estate there. 

It's kind of funny really. If you tried to live in a cheap rusted out RV not well fitted for living you'd be seen very differently than these luxurious lifestyle setups. Basically downsizing as a choice vs. downsizing out of poverty. Oh well!

http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-concept/modern-mobile-living-vehicle-has-innovative-secrets/

The Living Vehicle starts at $149,995.00 and is certified by the RVIA so vehicle financing can be used to purchase the home.

Just now, mogandave said:

And you still have to pay rent..

A lifestyle choice basically. I did post articles before about desperately poor elders, some in their 80s running around the country in not as nice RVs chasing temporary minimum wage jobs. Basically the opposite of retiring with dignity but at least not totally homeless. 

A lifestyle choice basically. I did post articles before about desperately poor elders, some in their 80s running around the country in not as nice RVs chasing temporary minimum wage jobs. Basically the opposite of retiring with dignity but at least not totally homeless. 

They get a bad rap, but there are some pretty decent trailer parks around.

I had a girlfriend back in the ‘90s had a small trailer in a Seal Beach park 100-200 yards from the beach.

If you use www.bestplaces.net or www.city-data.com you can research any city in the US and make comparisons. And of course using www.zillow.com will show you the price range and quality of the houses in those areas. 

My wife and I have been trying to sell our house here in Thailand so we can return to Pensacola, Florida. The cost of housing is very low on average and the health care available is very good. If you enjoy fishing it can't be beat. All in all after doing a lot of research ourselves and having lived there for 19 years, that would be our choice. Mena, Arkansas has cheaper housing with larger home sites but the overall cost of living there is higher and the ocean is too far away to do any fishing. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Not really relevant to me personally at this point, but the earlier part of this thread had a lot of discussion about the health care access system in the U.S. for lower wealth/income people. On that note, there has been some news. The southern state of Virginia has now opted in to expanded Medicaid. Perhaps more southern states to follow. That might make a difference to some people and there are some nice places in Virginia, like Charlottesville for example. 

• 2 weeks later...

Remember some years back when after the housing crash there were tons of houses for sale in foreclosure, back sales, etc.?

That was a great time to scoop up a bargain.

But that's over.

There is a serious affordable housing shortage now.

Home sale prices are rising in most every local market.

This article has an explanation for what happened.

That bargain housing stock from the crash was largely bought up by investors, small and large, and they're now rentals.

So the stock of affordable housing has shrunk, along with rising rents.

So from the perspective of this thread, people wanting to repatriate without being wealthy, well, I think that means considering even more "horrible" places because they will still be relatively lower priced compared to more decent places.

https://slate.com/business/2018/06/americans-are-moving-less-often-than-ever.html

Road to Nowhere

America has a moving crisis.

As you might expect, this has driven home prices through the roof. Prepare for sticker shock when you Zillow that neighborhood you’ve been picturing yourself in. But those high prices haven’t produced the housing-construction boom that your Econ 101 professor would predict. On the contrary, fewer homes are being built per capita than at almost any time in history.

Edited by Jingthing
7 hours ago, mogandave said:

What about HUD?

Yes, but do we really have to regurgite the same info again and again here?

But you brought it up.

As mentioned before on this very thread, yes, there are opportunities for senior subsidized HUD housing which are generally apartment buildings of different levels of quality, some of them actually in quite decent areas. 

The rents are based on income so you pay a set percentage of income. So that makes them "affordable" for low income people.

However, here are the caveats --

-- Space is limited

-- There are long waiting lists, sometimes years

-- Many are religious affiliated. 

-- There is a loss of privacy in such complexes, which some seniors may like and some may not. You're part of a community.

-- I recall annual financial reviews are needed to determine continued eligibility and current rent. 

-- There is aggressive screening of applications and they get into a lot of private matters. They are required to comply with current federal HUD policies for there to be the subsidies. Even one eviction in your life would mean rejection. Returning long term expats would have very unusual profiles in such applications (not easily verified foreign stuff). I have no idea if applications would be rejected just for being unusual, but I doubt it would help. Typical successful applications come from people that either have lived long term in the community or have close relatives there so people moving to be close to relatives. It's not something that would be remotely possible quickly for a returning long term expat fresh off the airplane.

-- If/when the seniors need higher levels of personal assistance, most of these places do not accommodate that. 

-- The x factor is the current government's policies on HUD. Say no more.

All that said, definitely a housing option that some low income seniors should explore. But not for everyone and definitely not spaces for everyone in such places.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • 2 weeks later...

Another affordable U.S. retirement destinations list (places to live for under $40K per year), but this one from AARP, so presumably not a veiled real estate promotion vehicle like some other lists.

And it has a lot of city/town names I haven't heard of before including a couple in the West -- many of them seemingly on the outskirts of larger, well-known metro areas. Seems like some good info and prospects here:

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/your-home/info-2018/10-best-places-to-live-in-us.html

On and off, I have been reading this post and maybe I have missed points. Maybe it's meant to be an entertainment Travel Log. To be serious about the best affordable places to live the US, considerations would be better framed with defined and prospects of income and assets, and healthcare. For example, no assets, only social security and Medicare, no connections and no prospects, forgetting dreams, that would narrow your wish list and lifestyle. Even worse poor health.

On the other hand, you might have $300K, other assets, social security, maybe a pension, possibly work part-time, a community, and Medicare, now, that would make for more affordable and lifestyle possibilities. 

What does affordable mean to you,  what is your lifestyle. Otherwise you are kicking tires. 'Cause wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin, That won't get you far'.

Yes of course affordable is a personal thing but I think the rough gist of it isn't that hard to grasp. San Francisco Bay Area definitely not what many people would call affordable.

Personally I don't feel I can realistically afford to live in any U.S location that doesn't suck badly and maybe not places that do either! But if it comes to that this will be a good resource anyway.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

43 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

On and off, I have been reading this post and maybe I have missed points. Maybe it's meant to be an entertainment Travel Log. To be serious about the best affordable places to live the US, considerations would be better framed with defined and prospects of income and assets, and healthcare. For example, no assets, only social security and Medicare, no connections and no prospects, forgetting dreams, that would narrow your wish list and lifestyle. Even worse poor health.

On the other hand, you might have $300K, other assets, social security, maybe a pension, possibly work part-time, a community, and Medicare, now, that would make for more affordable and lifestyle possibilities. 

What does affordable mean to you,  what is your lifestyle. Otherwise you are kicking tires. 'Cause wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin, That won't get you far'.

Well you are probably right on many levels.

We all have different personal situations, resources, likes and dislikes.

I’m in the already repatriated category. Now given unlimited resources I would have moved back to San Diego, but we all make compromises.

I live in a community that I love, very affordable, sucky winters, but we are falling into the snowbird way of life where we rent the house out in the winter and return to our house in Thailand for a few months.

3 months in the Thailand is enough. Having spent a decade in Thailand, I can suspend disbelief for 12 weeks then return to reality in the spring.

The reality which we all know, but maybe afraid to admit, is Thailand is unhinged and certainly no place for old men. A vacation is fine, but live out your old age? Get real, downtown Detroit is probably better

• Like 2