The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

That first photo with the 'USED' stamp, thats the same immigration guy who made mistake on my metv not seeing that its a Multiple Entry - I can tell by the signature

The signature is not from the IO that stamped ‘Used’, it’s from the person that issued/authorised the visa in Sydney!

I also just noticed that with mine, which was issued in Sydney just 2 weeks earlier, for number of Entries, same as yours, mine says 'Multiple' however for visa type, mine says 'Tourist Multiple', instead of just Tourist.

Edited by atecom

My friend, who is from Uganda, called me right now, he is at Immigration Chaeng Wattana. He said that they are going to give him only 7 days because of his nationality. Is this true? (Multiple Entries Tourist Visa, expiring in June.)

1 hour ago, Bertil said:

My friend, who is from Uganda, called me right now, he is at Immigration Chaeng Wattana. He said that they are going to give him only 7 days because of his nationality. Is this true? (Multiple Entries Tourist Visa, expiring in June.)

Immigration is correctly following the rules. While most nationals can apply for a 30-day extension of their tourist entry, some nationals (mainly from African countries) are not allowed them. If your friend has a multiple entry tourist visa, he should be able to do a border hop to get a new entry.

1 hour ago, Bertil said:

It is correct. From immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_4

( In case of the following natinalites ,extension of stay permit will not be longer than 7 days ; Sri Lanka ,India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Iran,Nepal,Togo,Nigeria,Uganda )

• 3 weeks later...

I successfully applied for my third METV in 3 years at the Liverpool Consulate. (I don't think they do many) All went smoothly.

Be aware that fixed term bank/building society accounts cannot be used to satisfy the money requirement as the money "is not being used". Instant access savings accounts and current accounts that satisfy the requirements are acceptable.

I hope this information is of use to somebody.

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

Where in the UK is a multi METV available and what are the latest requirements?

At the embassy in London (in person or by post) or any of the honorary consulates (in person only) (see: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html).

Requirement are here on the embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At the embassy in London (in person or by post) or any of the honorary consulates (in person only) (see: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html).

Requirement are here on the embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

Thanks Ubonjoe

Has anyone heard anything about a limit on how many METV you can get? I'm headed back to the USA in June to get yet another from the LA consulate, and I just wanna make sure there isn’t some limit I’m unaware of. (This will be the 5th METV visable in my current passport, and 7th overall)

Thanks in advance :)

11 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Has anyone heard anything about a limit on how many METV you can get? I'm headed back to the USA in June to get yet another from the LA consulate, and I just wanna make sure there isn’t some limit I’m unaware of. (This will be the 5th METV visable in my current passport, and 7th overall)

Same answer to the same question in another topic ...

There is no published limit. Limits are up to the embassy/consulate. 

You shouldn’t have a problem getting another visa, but being granted a visa doesn’t mean you won’t be questioned by immigration as to why you’re in the country if you’re living there as a tourist.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I'm on my third in a row. Had no questions asked either at the consulate when applying or indeed immigration whenever entering on an METV

• Like 2

I am going for my 3rd metv in a row in a couple of months. On the advice of other posters I am going to Australia for 2 weeks then Kuala Lumpur then enter Thailand at Chiang Mai and then flying domestically home to Pattaya. I heard Chiang Mai airport immigration are a lot easier than Swampy or DMK.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

I heard Chiang Mai airport immigration are a lot easier than Swampy or DMK.

Possibly true, but I would urge caution. The low volume of long term residents on tourist entries arriving in Chiang Mai airport makes it difficult to draw firm conclusions. We have not heard horror stories, but the volume of arrivals at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang is orders of magnitude greater, and we may not have heard of problems in Chiang Mai simply because travelers meriting greater scrutiny are rare there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

I am going for my 3rd metv in a row in a couple of months. On the advice of other posters I am going to Australia for 2 weeks then Kuala Lumpur then enter Thailand at Chiang Mai and then flying domestically home to Pattaya. I heard Chiang Mai airport immigration are a lot easier than Swampy or DMK.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You could fly into Utapao/Pattaya on Air Air Asia from KL. I suspect you would not have a problem there.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone. as an Iranian i'm no longer able to get a double-entry visa from Thai embassy in Iran. it's no longer issued. however multiple entry visa is being issued but it's more expensive than getting even 2 double entries! i'm planning on visiting Thailand and Indonesia on my upcoming trip and i'm wondering if i can get a Re-entry permit this way: i get a single entry visa from embassy here in Iran. i fly to Thailand and stay there 7-10 days then i travel to Indonesia and after 15 days i go back to Thailand and after the 7-10 days i go back to Iran. 

so is it possible to get the Re-entry permit at Bangkok airport(s) or i should apply for expensive multi-entry here? 

PS: don't ask about direct one-way flights because i've checked and this way it's about 100 USD cheaper !

2 hours ago, md92h said:

hello everyone. as an Iranian i'm no longer able to get a double-entry visa from Thai embassy in Iran. it's no longer issued. however multiple entry visa is being issued but it's more expensive than getting even 2 double entries! i'm planning on visiting Thailand and Indonesia on my upcoming trip and i'm wondering if i can get a Re-entry permit this way: i get a single entry visa from embassy here in Iran. i fly to Thailand and stay there 7-10 days then i travel to Indonesia and after 15 days i go back to Thailand and after the 7-10 days i go back to Iran. 

so is it possible to get the Re-entry permit at Bangkok airport(s) or i should apply for expensive multi-entry here? 

PS: don't ask about direct one-way flights because i've checked and this way it's about 100 USD cheaper !

It should be fine to use a single entry tourist visa, getting a single re-entry permit for 1,000 baht on departure from Bangkok to Indonesia. (I am assuming, here, that you get 60 days on entry with a tourist visa, and not only 30 days like some African nations' nationals.)

• Like 1

I'm about to make a 1st trip to Thailand.

I first looked into this a year or more ago and got some great input here, but I know things keep changing, so would appreciate advice on the following:

I'm planning to spend 3 months in SE Asia - mainly Thailand but also some neighboring countries.

No set itinerary other than arriving and leaving from Bangkok.

I was planning to get the SE Tourist Visa from one of the US Thai Consulates.

Use that for the flight and initial entry and after visiting  a neighboring country reenter on the Visa Exempt 30 day rule.

As I understand it currently, there should (hopefully) be no problem doing this twice during my 3 month travels.

Then return to the US, and make a trip back to Thailand after approx. 2 months with the intent of living there - once there eventually switching to the annual Retirement extension (may be the incorrect term - the over 55 retirement 1 year deal).

I'm wondering if at this time I would be better served getting the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa for the initial 3 month visit, which is a bit more of a hassle (need employer letter, hotel reservation).

I'd rather get the SE which is less hassle and cheaper ($40 USD rather than $200).

Also wondering after initial visit to Thailand and return to the US, what best way to return to Thailand after about 2 months would be?

I'm probably not allowed to get another SE Tourist Visa so soon after the first?

And my understanding is that planning to enter Visa exempt for my 2nd trip, there is a potential problem with the airline not allowing me to board, and/or that Thai immigration could possibly deny me entry without a Visa?

The reason I was considering the ME Tourist Visa for the initial trip is I wouldn't show any Visa Exempt entries on my passport which may make it easier to get in Visa Exempt for the 2nd trip to Thailand?

What would you experts recommend for my situation for both trips there?

Edited by JimmyJ

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I was planning to get the SE Tourist Visa from one of the US Thai Consulates.

Use that for the flight and initial entry and after visiting  a neighboring country reenter on the Visa Exempt 30 day rule.

As I understand it currently, there should (hopefully) be no problem doing this twice during my 3 month travels.

No problem to do that.

Also wondering after initial visit to Thailand and return to the US, what best way to return to Thailand after about 2 months would be?

I'm probably not allowed to get another SE Tourist Visa so soon after the first?

No problem to get another single entry tourist visa. There is no restriction on how many you can get.

Then return to the US, and make a trip back to Thailand after approx. 2 months with the intent of living there - once there eventually switching to the annual Retirement extension (may be the incorrect term - the over 55 retirement 1 year deal).

You only have to be 50 or over to apply for a extension of stay at immigration.

Your best option may be to apply for a OA long stay visa at the embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. It allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue and can be stretched to a total stay of 2 years by getting another one year entry just before it expires. Requirements are here on the embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

You shouldn't have any problem getting another, or any number of SETV's, in the US. 

You could get a non-immigrant 'O-A' visa in the US, OR you can enter Thailand as a tourist (SETV) and apply for a non-immigrant visa (as a prerequisite to an extension of stay) from immigration once in Thailand.

And my understanding is that planning to enter Visa exempt for my 2nd trip, there is a potential problem with the airline not allowing me to board, and/or that Thai immigration could possibly deny me entry without a Visa?

The airline would only (not always) deny boarding if you were traveling without a visa and didn't have an onward flight. Immigration cannot deny entry for not having a visa as you qualify for visa exempt entry. They could deny a visa exempt entry for other reasons, but based on your history wouldn't have any reason to do so. They are only looking to stop people living in Thailand using visa exempt entry.

The reason I was considering the ME Tourist Visa for the initial trip is I wouldn't show any Visa Exempt entries on my passport which may make it easier to get in Visa Exempt for the 2nd trip to Thailand?

Two visa exempt entries shouldn't be a problem by land or air. A METV is probably the most suitable way to cover your trip and multiple entries, but if you don't want the hassle of the application requirements your plan of 2 SETV's and 2 visa exempt entries should work.

Probably unnecessary, but note that you can also make use of a re-entry permit. If you enter Thailand with a SETV you'll be granted 60 days, and depending on the timing of your side trip/s a re-entry permit might negate the need for a visa exempt entry. E.g. If you leave Thailand after 20 days with a re-entry permit, stay out 20 days, when you return you'll be stamped in for 20 days remaining of the original 60 days. Single re-entry permits cost 1,000 baht; multiple 3,800 baht.

Edited by elviajero

On 6/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, BritTim said:

It should be fine to use a single entry tourist visa, getting a single re-entry permit for 1,000 baht on departure from Bangkok to Indonesia. (I am assuming, here, that you get 60 days on entry with a tourist visa, and not only 30 days like some African nations' nationals.)

I actually get 30 days and not 60

4 minutes ago, MiWV said:

30 days is the visa exeption. 60 8s the paid and applied for actual Visa.

Nobody gets 60 days at the border.

Except the five countries that get 90 days without a visa.

5 hours ago, md92h said:

I actually get 30 days and not 60

If you only get 30 days on a single entry tourist visa (unlucky, most nationals get 60) then the best you can do is

• 7 days in Thailand, and leave with a re-entry permit
  • 15 days in Indonesia
  • 7 days in Thailand, departing for home

Unfortunately, any more time in Thailand would put you on overstay (the first and last days count when reckoning your 30 days). If you want longer, you may need to bite the bullet and get a multiple entry tourist visa. 

EDIT: Most nationals can apply for a 30-day extension of their permission to stay on a tourist visa, but I do not think this is allowed for nationals who receive only 30 days on a tourist visa.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

With the stupid requirements of embassies/consulates now requiring METV applicants to provide a copy of an airline ticket indicating date of arrival to and departure from Thailand, has anyone submitted a "dummy" airline ticket for a departure ticket out of Thailand within 60 days of their 1st entry? Considerisng that after 60 days you can extend for 30 days at immigration this is a very stupid idiotic rule they have placed on us all!! Not to mention that lots of people will book their ticket out of Thailand once they arrive, or some might cross the border by land, not plane.

Apparently there are some airline booking sites where this can be done where you actually get a confirmed booking that you can pay within a few days but get the PRN Code which can be checked to validate it's a legit booking, if they were to actually check it. I can't seem to find a site that works anymore though that gives the PRN Code. Does anyone if embassies/consulates will check the PRN Code or a site that actually works to give it?