The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

1 minute ago, firewight said:

Thank you, I am aware of the cheaper options like mini vans etc, however Im a big guy, so I opt for air travel, and whilst more expensive, is ultimately more comfortable with a shorter duration...

From Korat the trip to Bangkok would be about the same as a border run to Surin, The last time I checked their are no flights from Korat to Bangkok.

You can take a train to Vientiane that has lots of room to get up and move around.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

From Korat the trip to Bangkok would be about the same as a border run to Surin, The last time I checked their are no flights from Korat to Bangkok.

You can take a train to Vientiane that has lots of room to get up and move around.

Thanks for the option of the train.

Yes my plan was a bus from Korat to DMK then fly out etc.

4 hours ago, firewight said:

Hi Guys. Wow this has been a long read to try and catch up on as much information as possible in this thread.

It does seem to go back and forth a bit, and as such I wanted to clarify my findings with everyone here.

Details are as follows:

I am planning an extended stay in South East Asia, with Thailand being my home base. I have a girlfriend there (i know, I know, lol) in the Korat region where I will be staying most of the time. I am under 50, not married and not working (digital income), so all of those visas are off the table.

This leaves me with the Visa Exempt Stamp, along with the SETV and METV visas as my go to options.

I am pretty clear on what all those options allow, I am really just trying to work out the costs of each option, to stay for a 9 month (270 day) period (including border runs etc). I know these calculations wont be *to the day* but it should be close enough to get a fairly well educated idea.

The options are:

1) SETV X 3, with each SETV having a 30 day extension (60+30)+(60+30)+(60+30) = 270

2) METV x 1 (extensions), doing 2 x 60 day entries, with each entry having a 30 day extension (60+30)+(60+30)+(60+30) = 270

3) METV x 1 (travel runs), doing 3 x 60 day travel runs with the final entry having a 30 day extension (60)+(60)+(60)+(60+30) = 270

The Attached chart maps the costs of each of these variations. The costs are in $AUD as this is my home currency, however it shouldn't really matter, as long as the cost is the same across all of the options it should give a good base line to work from.

Unless I have calculated it wrong, option 2 - the METV x 1 (extensions) option is cheaper simply due to less travel costs, even with the extra 30 day extension fee.

To offer clarity on my travel costs, I have allowed $300 for each travel run, this is purely an estimate based on a guess of what will be required to get from Korat to BKK, fly to neighboring country, stay a day or 2, fly back and return to Korat. The cost could be lower or higher, but at this stage I don't really know. Unfortunately Korat is kindov out in the middle of nowhere, so it will require quite a bit of travel...

Can anyone offer any constructive feedback, or options I may have missed?

Thanks!

visa data.JPG

You only need 2 x border crossing for the SETV (x3) option so you can knock off $300 from the total cost comparison for that.

Whatever option you go for the there are variables but, the overall cost difference will be negligible, especially if you're planning to stay out a day or 2 when doing the compulsory exit/re-entries. If you can meet the additional requirements to get the METV it's the best option as it gives you flexibility.

SETV x 3 v METV (extensions)

• 3 STEV's cost 3,000 baht as opposed to 1 METV which costs 5,000 baht. All other costs, assuming, you fly to the same place to get the SETV's as you would go for a METV border hop, are the same. So the SETV is 2,000 baht cheaper. As METV border hops do not need overnight stays you could recover that 2K in hotel savings, but again the end result would be negligible.

METV with 2 border runs and 3 extensions (2) v METV with 3 border runs and 1 extension (3).

• Option (2) costs 3,800 baht more in extension fees than (3), but you would spend most/all of that on the extra border run using option (3). Personally, I would use option (2) as it requires less border runs.

Hi,

I'm new here, hello all!  I'm travelling to Thailand at the end of the month, and have arranged a 60 day visa before I saw the site.  I will stay in Thailand for a longer period, and travel around SE Asia generally.

Is the METV available from within Thailand?  Sorry if this has already been answered, I didn't see it anywhere when looking, I could have missed it I know.

Thank you and good evening,

Sooty

Hi,

I'm new here, hello all!  I'm travelling to Thailand at the end of the month, and have arranged a 60 day visa before I saw the site.  I will stay in Thailand for a longer period, and travel around SE Asia generally.

Is the METV available from within Thailand?  Sorry if this has already been answered, I didn't see it anywhere when looking, I could have missed it I know.

Thank you and good evening,

Sooty

Only from your home country apparently.

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

You only need 2 x border crossing for the SETV (x3) option so you can knock off $300 from the total cost comparison for that.

Whatever option you go for the there are variables but, the overall cost difference will be negligible, especially if you're planning to stay out a day or 2 when doing the compulsory exit/re-entries. If you can meet the additional requirements to get the METV it's the best option as it gives you flexibility.

SETV x 3 v METV (extensions)

• 3 STEV's cost 3,000 baht as opposed to 1 METV which costs 5,000 baht. All other costs, assuming, you fly to the same place to get the SETV's as you would go for a METV border hop, are the same. So the SETV is 2,000 baht cheaper. As METV border hops do not need overnight stays you could recover that 2K in hotel savings, but again the end result would be negligible.

METV with 2 border runs and 3 extensions (2) v METV with 3 border runs and 1 extension (3).

• Option (2) costs 3,800 baht more in extension fees than (3), but you would spend most/all of that on the extra border run using option (3). Personally, I would use option (2) as it requires less border runs.

Ahh yes I see the error, thank you I will update it!

11 hours ago, firewight said:

Ahh yes I see the error, thank you I will update it!

If anyone was interested in the updated chart. It does now show the SETV x 3 option to be cheaper. Yes I know the travel costs are very subjective.

visa data.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is the METV valid as soon as you get the visa from the UK consulate? I.e. if you give your flight confirmation, it's not valid from date of flight? Reason I'm asking is I'm toying with changing the flight.

The visa is valid from the date it is issued until the Enter Before date on the visa (which in the case of an METV is 6 months from the date of issue).

• Like 1

I just got my METV issued on sep 7 2016 and the enter before is 6 march 2017 and my flight out is on April 24 2017 how many runs do I have to do?

It is my first time using a METV and not so familiar with how i would hve to do I will be entering Thailand on the 02 October 2016.

Thank you for any helping informations.

29 minutes ago, mettech said:

I just got my METV issued on sep 7 2016 and the enter before is 6 march 2017 and my flight out is on April 24 2017 how many runs do I have to do?

It is my first time using a METV and not so familiar with how i would hve to do I will be entering Thailand on the 02 October 2016.

It depends on whether you want to combine border hops with extensions of stay within Thailand. One strategy would be

• Border hop 30 Nov 2016
  • Border hop 27 Jan 2016
  • Border hop 5 Mar 2017, or an 30 day extension of stay of the 27 Jan 2016 entry
  • Like 1

Thank you for the info's Brit Tim.

So if you don't work as have a lot of money already how you get a METV if want 6 months holiday in thailand  ???

Letter from employer seems daft, proof of funds is sensible & would seem wise to have had a higher funds requirement for non workers.

Quite frankly not going be many western people who can fill the current requirements without a bit of creativity as not many people employed are going get 6months plus time off.
metv visa is more useful for those close to thailand who come in for extended weekend breaks & fly back to work but for western tastes it useless unless make your round evidence peg fit the square requirements hole !!

They actually make people abuse other visas by poorly implementing regional criteria, UK/western students have good credit & daddy funds too & many would find METV perfect for roaming around region using thailand as main base. Lot of well off people who not employed by choice who have condo property and metv could of been perfect for their holiday usage if immigration actually had any sense on encouraging the good & weeding out the trouble .

I think metv supporting evidence & criteria will change for west as it totally wrong product currently but as always will take the thai official channels lot of time, lost numbers & low embassy income before criteria adjusted .

with no real evidence required for a setv it pointless making metv so inflexible to those who got money, the cheap trash will just go setv as it cheaper anyway really if you sort of person who can commute cheap & sleep on a bus station floor plus no need bank fund evidence, just a pen and stamps and cheap trash is here looking for boiler work & cheap beer lol  !!!!

1 hour ago, BuckBee said:

So if you don't work as have a lot of money already how you get a METV if want 6 months holiday in thailand  ???

Letter from employer seems daft, proof of funds is sensible & would seem wise to have had a higher funds requirement for non workers.

Quite frankly not going be many western people who can fill the current requirements without a bit of creativity as not many people employed are going get 6months plus time off.
metv visa is more useful for those close to thailand who come in for extended weekend breaks & fly back to work but for western tastes it useless unless make your round evidence peg fit the square requirements hole !!

They actually make people abuse other visas by poorly implementing regional criteria, UK/western students have good credit & daddy funds too & many would find METV perfect for roaming around region using thailand as main base. Lot of well off people who not employed by choice who have condo property and metv could of been perfect for their holiday usage if immigration actually had any sense on encouraging the good & weeding out the trouble .

I think metv supporting evidence & criteria will change for west as it totally wrong product currently but as always will take the thai official channels lot of time, lost numbers & low embassy income before criteria adjusted .

with no real evidence required for a setv it pointless making metv so inflexible to those who got money, the cheap trash will just go setv as it cheaper anyway really if you sort of person who can commute cheap & sleep on a bus station floor plus no need bank fund evidence, just a pen and stamps and cheap trash is here looking for boiler work & cheap beer lol  !!!!

I do agree that the METV requirements are misguided. I am not sure Thailand will lose that many tourists because of it. Students on a 6 month tour of Asia, incorporating India, Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia etc. can do quite well with visa exempt entries. The wealthy, perpetual traveler is not going to find trips to home country to get a visa to be convenient, and will do it another way. Those wanting to spend half the year in Thailand and half back home are perfect for the METV (if requirements allowed) and are often a desirable demographic to encourage. However, there is not a huge number that fit in this category, and they may be willing to do O-A visas or TE instead. As I already said, I think the METV requirements are a mistake, but that will not show up clearly in the statistics.

It will show up in western statistics as simply will deal with very few yet people who ideally suited for it will be using setv . Poor planning really, current visa & rules only need minor evidence changes to make useful to tourist user & immigration.

Like you say ways round it but it not helping the tourist or immigration :-S 
Lot of students spend fair bit of time here, can get a few setv or visa exempt locally but metv would be better plus prove they got worthy financial support .
who wants a TE if only interested in about 6 months multi entry flexibility ...

Interesting see what future brings :-S

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BuckBee said:

They want you to buy the Thai Elite card.

Said it before and say it again. This is indicative of the powers that be that they have no idea how the world outside of Thailand operates. A large number of people just simply exist on the barter system and exclude the bank as a middle man. How does Thailand not see this? I think they do and it is an effort to reduce money laundering.

The 6k or whatever it equates to is just a joke. Not only is it unreasonably high but for 6 months, 6 months. Who TF would do that given current interest rates  It is a demand to be stupid in order to get an METV.

50 next year and going to take a hit for 800,000 Baht.

5 hours ago, notmyself said:

They want you to buy the Thai Elite card.

Said it before and say it again. This is indicative of the powers that be that they have no idea how the world outside of Thailand operates. A large number of people just simply exist on the barter system and exclude the bank as a middle man. How does Thailand not see this? I think they do and it is an effort to reduce money laundering.

The 6k or whatever it equates to is just a joke. Not only is it unreasonably high but for 6 months, 6 months. Who TF would do that given current interest rates  It is a demand to be stupid in order to get an METV.

50 next year and going to take a hit for 800,000 Baht.

I don't see how anyone interested in METV is going go towards a TE as even cheapest package is a leap in term of cost & permitted stay both of which going exceed what a genuine METV needs and would want spend .

Basically they left a very big gap in visas after 2 & 3 entry tourists dropped.

METV could work perfectly if adopted evidence criteria for western users with enough funds, condo property etc who want a basic no hassle 6month only visa in one page one issue sticker.

Situation as is just increases use of back to back setv or being resourceful when submitting your metv application.

I don't think bank funds for metv are too much or difficult, plenty of good accounts will have online saving account (some with cash cards) or better interest current account if keep monthly income & balance to set goals  & generally have a 1yr bonus on rates, I have one on a nationwide account at 3.25%, .

Indeed extra hassle but if got money can be done  but not many people going to thailand for 6months will be employed or have employer that will let them have 6month off !

At moment it easier do 3 back to back setv as no supporting evidence required lol .

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, notmyself said:

Problem is, a large number of people don't use banks because they offer such a low rate of return. If they want to see 6k for a visa then no problem but asking that it be in a bank for 6 months is asking people to be stupid.

I have seen some claim they used other types of accounts to meet the financial qualification.  But if the interest on $6K USD is a significant problem, they probably think you are not one of the "desirable" tourists.  It is the "employment letter" and shipping one's body 1/2 way around the world where the requirements become completely ridiculous. 

I actually own a business overseas but I am not "an employee" of that business - not drawing a 'salary' and working, so the wording would not fit.  But that aside, I'll be danged if I will go on some 'around the world' quest, to a special Thai Consulate, where I would submit the very same documents I could provide in Vientiane or Penang. 

I had considered Hawaii, but that is an honorary consulate, so probably cannot issue any multi-entry visas any more.  If they also cannot process O-A visas any more, I have no reason to ever enter the USA again, in this lifetime.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have seen some claim they used other types of accounts to meet the financial qualification.  But if the interest on $6K USD is a significant problem, they probably think you are not one of the "desirable" tourists.  It is the "employment letter" and shipping one's body 1/2 way around the world where the requirements become completely ridiculous. 

I do not think the issue with cash in bank is the lost interest exactly. I think it is the fact that, normally, financially savvy people do not keep money hanging around, not working for them. They may sometimes have large sums in the bank, but it will typically stay there for days, not months. Now, if you decide you will apply for an METV over 6 months before actually doing so, I suppose you can ring fence US$6,000 for that purpose. Typically, though, rich people do not plan tourist trips that far in advance. The conditions mean they cannot decide on a trip a month or two ahead of time, and get an METV.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have seen some claim they used other types of accounts to meet the financial qualification.  But if the interest on $6K USD is a significant problem, they probably think you are not one of the "desirable" tourists.

Yes

For me, it is the principle.  

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I do not think the issue with cash in bank is the lost interest exactly. I think it is the fact that, normally, financially savvy people do not keep money hanging around, not working for them. They may sometimes have large sums in the bank, but it will typically stay there for days, not months. Now, if you decide you will apply for an METV over 6 months before actually doing so, I suppose you can ring fence US$6,000 for that purpose.

You don't bother using yourself as the middle man these days... 'x' transfers directly to 'y', your new investment. I'm not even sure that I have ever had 6k in a bank account.

I agree proof of funds needs bit of expansion as a lot of people won't have seasoned money for 6months, if travelling you should have easy access to a few £K as you never know what could happen. I have relatively useful current account with good interest on fixed max limit which above the metv requirement & give low charge on online international transfers & atm transactions so it not dead money, like most I have money in investments & shares which useless as evidence under current metv criteria.

you can get 3 or 4 setv for 60 to 80 £ with no evidence or hassle or pay £120 & jump through hoops for a metv . I know what most will end up doing .

Have some foreign couples with condo property in my condo block which find situation annoying & kind of ignorant really when spend decent money in the country on extended vacation at their purchased outright condo residence ...

One is selling but finding that hard at decent price also concerned on hassle of getting funds out of thailand without too much loss or complication :-) reality is never as sweat as the dream ...

Edited by BuckBee

4 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

I agree proof of funds needs bit of expansion as a lot of people won't have seasoned money for 6months, if travelling you should have easy access to a few £K as you never know what could happen. (...)

you can get 3 or 4 setv for 60 to 80 £ with no evidence or hassle or pay £120 & jump through hoops for a metv . I know what most will end up doing .

I generally agree with you re the funds etc.

Mind you, when you say 60 - 80 quid for 3 to 4 SETVs, I believe you are wrong as this does not include any costs for travelling 3 or 4 times to a neighbouring country. So, I think if you are in your home country (or can go there every 6-9 months) then the METV is much, much better and cheaper than numerous SETVs.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2016 at 0:15 AM, notmyself said:

I gave up on an METV and got an SETV instead. They were asking for all sorts for an METV but I drew the line on providing a knowingly fictitious letter with regard to the employment narrative. Not going to lie.

On 14/09/2016 at 9:30 AM, BuckBee said:

Letter from employer seems daft,

I got an METV recently without any employment letter, the requirement was an employment letter OR tax return.

I pay tax in my home country on the investment income I have there which is how I support myself in Thailand without the need to work. This income is all above board and was accepted to get my METV which IMO was fair enough.

• Like 1