Unmarked police cars in CM?

dingdongrb

I've never, in eight years in CM, seen a cop car give chase to anything. Or even seen a cop car waiting with a radar gun, anywhere.

that means nothing. I'd wager there are at least two other things you've never seen.

I see the radar gun for taking photos of speeding cars at least twice a week on the super highway near the rual road cut off.

Like this?

post-46350-0-99624800-1448027210_thumb.j

I have never seen a cop pull anyone over for a moving violation in the entire time I've lived in Thailand. Maybe they were looking for drugs. Moving violation - never. Lights and sirens in 99% of the times means, "VIPs Coming Get Out Of The Way".

Funny, saw one heading up the superhighway into Chiang Mai this afternoon, blues and twos blaring. Assumed it was some numnut kid who had been down to the local car accessory shop. Maybe it actually was police.

Which brings up a question, being stopped by some scam artist pretending to be a cop, would that be better or worse than being stopped by the real gangsters?

I don't think I'd stop, but instead, call the police to report the incident as someone trying to pull me over which I assume is a scam. If told it's real, then I pull over. Cops don't pull anyone over for moving violations. If they plan to start, they better do some public notification in both Thai and English news.

Unlike the US, anybody here can mount flashing lights and sirens on their car. If I'm followed by an unmarked car with flashing lights and siren: 'Scam' and then 'danger' - That's the first thing that would come to my mind.

Edited by connda

I've never, in eight years in CM, seen a cop car give chase to anything. Or even seen a cop car waiting with a radar gun, anywhere.

that means nothing. I'd wager there are at least two other things you've never seen.

I see the radar gun for taking photos of speeding cars at least twice a week on the super highway near the rual road cut off.

I see them on the road occasionally on HW11 south of the Lamphun cutoff. The freaking highway is marked at 60 kpm for about 15 km past the cutoff. Must be a money maker for them. I'm one of the slowest cars on the road at my normal cruising rate of 80 kph. I've never been ticketed.

It's a shame to see the police held in such low regard by farangs. Do Thais hold the same view?

it's not the boys on the street that are to fault. It's management staff trying to juggle their job with juggling their books of personal wealth!

No leadership from the highest government in the land and everyone follows suit with "catch as catch can".

The moral standard is as low as the top brass wish it to be.

What a sinking ship this place has become!

Edited by WaiLai

CM also have plain clothes police undercover agents. Been her 8 years and haven't seen them? There are many things in Thailand that you haven't seen.

Good god I can not tell from the photos placed in newspapers of who are the bad guys and who are all those non uniformed drugger looking jokers trying to get into the photo. The uniforms and victum do the pointing, while the undercover cops try to look undercover but be in position to let boss know they are on top of things.

I figure fully 1/3 of the BIB are undercover in dress code for sure.

It's a shame to see the police held in such low regard by farangs. Do Thais hold the same view?

it's not the boys on the street that are to fault. It's management staff trying to juggle their job with juggling their books of personal wealth!

No leadership from the highest government in the land and everyone follows suit with "catch as catch can".

The moral standard is as low as the top brass wish it to be.

What a sinking ship this place has become!

If you have to ask this question you really are new here.

Like this?

Gone past that guy a few times @160 on the moto

Edited by Jdiddy

It is about time they put some police on the road. It will take a while for Thais to realize that when they see the lights in their rear view mirror it is time to pull to the side of the road. Hang Dong road needs them to put a stop to the 140 km morans, and the big bikes weaving in and out of traffic at 100. And while there are at it, they could give a few motorbikes steep tickets for going the wrong way. I pulled out of the same Big C after looking left and waiting for a break and almost hit a motorbike going the wrong way.

I just saw two unmarked (except for flashing red and blue led lights, which weren't noticeable until they were turned on) scooters ridden by police in plainclothes pull over another scooter at the Hang Dong Road/Middle Ring Road intersection (kind of a silly place to perform a traffic stop at rush hour...) I've never seen that before in CM. Perhaps it was a suspect in a non-traffic-related crime, but there was no obvious indication they were police.