Do you try to stay healthy while living in Thailand?

Andy2310

I do but it can be difficult. I like to exercise outdoors (running or playing sports) but with the intense heat almost everyday you either have to do it really early or after dusk. I try to eat healthy (fruits and vegetables), but I am not so sure about how healthy eating Thai street food on a regular basis really is.

Whilst my weight hasn't really changed I have found my alcohol intake has increased since living here, largely due to the fact so much of expat life seems to revolve around bars and drinking. Looking around at other expats here and some of them aren't in the best of states.

How has living in Thailand been on your health?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My health has improved considerably.. Stopped smoking, as my ear was starting to ache. Started running, as my ear was starting to ache. Don't drink at home as we live in the outback, enjoy a good weekend break in Phuket occasionally though, keeps me sane but makes my ear ache too !!!

I try to stay healthy and exercise probably 4-5 times a week, however work functions and the occasional blow out probably mean i am about holding station health and fitness wise.

If i could just eradicate the blow outs which ruin the healthy lifestyle for a few months i think i would be ship shape.

Yes, I try to keep myself fit.

I'm a big believer in healthy body, healthy mind.

Working out also gives me something to do, and most importantly I really enjoy it.

keeping fit in Thailand can be tricky though. I'd like to do more running, I'd actually like to take part in a half marathon, but getting the training in is just too difficult as there are too many soi dogs where I live.

I'd also like to buy a bike and cycle more, but the roads are simply too dangerous.

Or maybe that is me just making excuses.

Luckily I live near a small but really good gym that has most things I need and at home I have a couple of kettlebells and a good jump rope.

With regards to food, I like Thai food but it is nowhere near as healthy for you as some believe, especially if you buy it outdoors where they reuse the cheapest most terrible oil, nearly everything is fried, MSG added and lots of sugar.

Edited by pinkpanther99

I came here in my late 20's....still here and am now in my early 40's. I have always done weight training and some kind of aerobic activity a few times a week. Ideally I try to stick to at least 4 -5 times per week. I was a big fan of the old weight training regime of 3 x 10 sets of 8 - 10 reps of any particular muscle group with a 1 - 1.5 minute rest between sets.......These days I am finding something called 'circuit training' is much more effective. Instead of sticking to one muscle group for the 3 sets in a row, I do a group of 6 - 8 exercises one after the other with very little to no rest.This really kicks my a*s and it also helps with aerobic conditioning.....and it saves time. You need to be careful how you order your exercises doing this. For example, you wouldnt do a bench press and then do bench flies directly after it, you could go from a 'pushing' to a 'pulling' exercise however. For example, bench press and the some kind of dumbbell rowing exercise. If you order your exercises in the right way you can go through the whole cycle, but its pretty tough. Obviously the weight you are using also has to come down a bit but, I am very happy with the results. I don't seem to have lost too much muscle mass and its also cut some belly fat. One cycle takes me less than 10 minutes. I do 3 cycles, after which I have had enough. I do this at night, after the suns gone down.

In regards to straight aerobic activity I have gone from jogging, to walking up and down my stairs for 30 to 45 mins. I got bored of jogging and the heat is a killer. I find going up and down stairs, sometimes one at a time, sometimes 2 at a time to give me a good workout and it also does more for strengthening the legs. I also incorporate what are called 'farmers walks' into my stair climbing. This is where I carry 2 x approx 14- 18 kg dumbbells up and down the stairs a few times as part of the routine. It gets pretty challenging, great for legs AND for wrist strength....

Anyway, thats the routine I settled on living here in the heat. Its working for me, and obviously I mix it up as much as possible. One thing I have learnt is that you need shock your body every now and again to get a boost in results. If you just do the same routine every time you get bored and your body gets used to it. Thats not what exercise is all about.

....by the way if you'd have told me about 'circuit training' when I was a bit younger I would have thought it was for pussies......no way! I highly recommend it....maybe not if you want to look like Arnie in his day, but for general looking good/feeling good its great.

Edited by Yooyung

Yeah, it's tough. Eating right can be a challenge if you don't have your own kitchen. It's a hassle to get to the few gyms there are in TH, and many of them are run down. Also, it takes a bit of effort to find activities and people that don't revolve around drinking.

I swam 1500 meters this morning in about 45 minutes stopping only every 300 meters for a sip of water. I have my own kitchen and cook almost all my own food except when we go out to the Oishi buffet.

Edited by JLCrab

My health has improved considerably.. Stopped smoking, as my ear was starting to ache. Started running, as my ear was starting to ache. Don't drink at home as we live in the outback, enjoy a good weekend break in Phuket occasionally though, keeps me sane but makes my ear ache too !!!

Me too, pal.

But thanks to mrs Nik, Im a lot healthier, better food ( shes a great cook...but all that brown rice makes me fart big time.), low alcohol intake and no ciggies.

She keeps me excercised as well but no need to go into detail there biggrin.png .

All in all Im well into middle age and my motivation for a healthy life is my son. I want to see him grow up. Simple as that.

I'm healthier now than I've ever been. I watch what I eat, exercise a lot, and try to limit my drinking. Mainly because I don't want to end up like the guys I see around town who've let themselves go.

Yes also my reason, i almost became one of those fat guys that waddle around town.

I hated how i looked and avoided getting my picture taken. I changed my food and limited my drinking to almost zero

Always did do exercise but is almost impossible to out train a bad diet.

I just cook my own food, have my own well equipped home gym and stay in good shape.

Not drinking helps a lot. Just find friends who are not into the bar scene. Find a sport you like or you will get bored.

I think a bit drinking is OK and helps relax.....But starting at 11 AM in the bar is not what I mean.

A glass of wine with the dinner.....and it if it 3 glass also no problem or a 1-2 beers.

I think if your habits are already bad alcohol is amplifying the problem disproportional. And of course the quantity matters.

I'm healthier now than I've ever been. I watch what I eat, exercise a lot, and try to limit my drinking. Mainly because I don't want to end up like the guys I see around town who've let themselves go.

Yes -- I watch what I eat too because, even though I spent years traveling to China, it is easy to have some sauce-laden tidbit fall off the chopsticks and mess up a nice clean shirt or slacks.

I just cook my own food, have my own well equipped home gym and stay in good shape.

Not drinking helps a lot. Just find friends who are not into the bar scene. Find a sport you like or you will get bored.

I think a bit drinking is OK and helps relax.....But starting at 11 AM in the bar is not what I mean.

A glass of wine with the dinner.....and it if it 3 glass also no problem or a 1-2 beers.

I think if your habits are already bad alcohol is amplifying the problem disproportional. And of course the quantity matters.

I don't agree with you here. Just look up the calories in a bottle of beer. One is a lot already especially if everyday.

I would have thought "people try to stay healthy" no matter where they live, not just Thailand. thumbsup.gif

Its often more of a challenge here as not all foods that we are used too are available. Plus for some the bar scene and drinking does them in.

My main concern with drinking too much is ending up like the guys that got wasted and slept with a ladyboy.

Depends on what time you stop.

I do believe that exercise, diet, and controlling your alcohol intake are key. If people aren't concerned about living longer, they should at least be concerned about their quality of life with the years they have left. I personally don't care if I die at 80 or 100, so long as them are good years.

I do believe that exercise, diet, and controlling your alcohol intake are key. If people aren't concerned about living longer, they should at least be concerned about their quality of life with the years they have left. I personally don't care if I die at 80 or 100, so long as them are good years.

A clean & healthy mind assists too.

I came here in my late 20's....still here and am now in my early 40's. I have always done weight training and some kind of aerobic activity a few times a week. Ideally I try to stick to at least 4 -5 times per week. I was a big fan of the old weight training regime of 3 x 10 sets of 8 - 10 reps of any particular muscle group with a 1 - 1.5 minute rest between sets.......These days I am finding something called 'circuit training' is much more effective. Instead of sticking to one muscle group for the 3 sets in a row, I do a group of 6 - 8 exercises one after the other with very little to no rest.This really kicks my a*s and it also helps with aerobic conditioning.....and it saves time. You need to be careful how you order your exercises doing this. For example, you wouldnt do a bench press and then do bench flies directly after it, you could go from a 'pushing' to a 'pulling' exercise however. For example, bench press and the some kind of dumbbell rowing exercise. If you order your exercises in the right way you can go through the whole cycle, but its pretty tough. Obviously the weight you are using also has to come down a bit but, I am very happy with the results. I don't seem to have lost too much muscle mass and its also cut some belly fat. One cycle takes me less than 10 minutes. I do 3 cycles, after which I have had enough. I do this at night, after the suns gone down.

In regards to straight aerobic activity I have gone from jogging, to walking up and down my stairs for 30 to 45 mins. I got bored of jogging and the heat is a killer. I find going up and down stairs, sometimes one at a time, sometimes 2 at a time to give me a good workout and it also does more for strengthening the legs. I also incorporate what are called 'farmers walks' into my stair climbing. This is where I carry 2 x approx 14- 18 kg dumbbells up and down the stairs a few times as part of the routine. It gets pretty challenging, great for legs AND for wrist strength....

Anyway, thats the routine I settled on living here in the heat. Its working for me, and obviously I mix it up as much as possible. One thing I have learnt is that you need shock your body every now and again to get a boost in results. If you just do the same routine every time you get bored and your body gets used to it. Thats not what exercise is all about.

....by the way if you'd have told me about 'circuit training' when I was a bit younger I would have thought it was for pussies......no way! I highly recommend it....maybe not if you want to look like Arnie in his day, but for general looking good/feeling good its great.

Sounds about right to me.You ever run into trouble doing flies? I wrecked my shoulder long time ago doing flies...too much weight maybe?? Stayed away from them ever since. Chiang Mai has a coupla nice gyms, and the Chiang Mai Orchid hotel now has a salt water pool, ( and a new gym ) which has gotten me back into swimming a bit. All in all, I'll live, I guess. My friend ( who parties and drinks quite a bit ) says to me," you're gonna look some silly in fifty years time when you're laying in the hospital dying from....nothing!"

Live out in the sticks away from the bars......health improves tenfold.

Oh.....I forgot to mention, live in a house on 10 rai....you don't need to exercise....just looking after the backyard will take care of that.

Aww w, sounds like my kinda living. Would like to join you, but I'd probably need a work permit.

I am 65 and a triathlete. We spend six months here and six months back in the states. I thoroughly enjoy training but to be honest, training here, with the heat and the limitations, can be brutal.

I can't just head out the door in the morning for a run like I do back in the states because of the drivers, hard, hard concrete roads, heat and dogs. I must start very early and run the same two mile, absolutely flat route around a nearby lake over and over and over, and strive to finish by 7:30 am or so.

My bike riding is also early on a trainer so I can get quality precise efforts. Again, in that I live in Issan, hills are non existent.

The swimming is a real joy with a 50 meter pool within a 15 minute scooter ride that is virtually empty every day.

Here I find my training reverts primarily to joyless exercise, and if I was not concerned about my competition back in the states, am not sure how hard I would continue to push myself.

For me, at least, the brutal heat and limited places to train really take most out of the joy out of something that I really do enjoy.

I am 65 and a triathlete. We spend six months here and six months back in the states. I thoroughly enjoy training but to be honest, training here, with the heat and the limitations, can be brutal.

I can't just head out the door in the morning for a run like I do back in the states because of the drivers, hard, hard concrete roads, heat and dogs. I must start very early and run the same two mile, absolutely flat route around a nearby lake over and over and over, and strive to finish by 7:30 am or so.

My bike riding is also early on a trainer so I can get quality precise efforts. Again, in that I live in Issan, hills are non existent.

The swimming is a real joy with a 50 meter pool within a 15 minute scooter ride that is virtually empty every day.

Here I find my training reverts primarily to joyless exercise, and if I was not concerned about my competition back in the states, am not sure how hard I would continue to push myself.

For me, at least, the brutal heat and limited places to train really take most out of the joy out of something that I really do enjoy.