Free SIM cards at the airport, without ID. How is this possible ?

cyrilmadrid

Hello.

I had understood that there was a new regulation in Thailand requiring holders of SIM cards to register this passport number.

What was my surprise when I landed 2 weeks ago at the airport and at the gate, the airline Qatar Airways as distributing free SIM cards (got a couple of them !) of course without any ID.

Then when passing immigration, the immigration officer had on his desk a pile of SIM cards also. So ended up grabbing 2 True and 2 AIS cards, but was very puzzled.

How can this be ??

Normally I have to pay for the SIM card, and expected to have to register, not only did I get the SIMs for free but no registration !

Yes, I got one of these 6 months ago, no reqistration and it's still working. I've checked it with the sim reqistration 'checking' service, and it confirmed my card is registered. Only it isn't?

That's very interesting. Can you post a screenshot of the registration confirmation?

@T100.

Not trying to hijack the OP discussion but would you be so kind as to let me know about the sim registration checking service please?

I too thought one had to register. I tried several times to register but it was not until near the end of time that the lady at the Telewiz shop said...you need a Thai document. She was about to use my wife's Thai National Identity Card until I pulled out my Thai driving licence and she used that.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Pay as you go

Simple, that's the point, no registration

Why register your passport when you can buy one at 7-11 for small money

I think someone's having you on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry to say that you are wrong. If your SIM card is not registered, it will not work. The laws were changed a few months ago. I would absolutely believe that a free SIM card would still need to be registered to work. After that, you are correct. Refill at any 7-11

Pay as you go

Simple, that's the point, no registration

Why register your passport when you can buy one at 7-11 for small money

I think someone's having you on

I am sorry to say that you are wrong. If your SIM card is not registered, it will not work. The laws were changed a few months ago. I would absolutely believe that a free SIM card would still need to be registered to work. After that, you are correct. Refill at any 7-11

TIT , not surprised in the least you can get unregistered SIM cards in Thailand.

I've never ever registered my details for a SIM card

Ever

That may be true, but when did you last get one?

I just got a SIM when I got this 590 Baht smartphone for my father in 7-Eleven and I had to produce ID.

@T100.

Not trying to hijack the OP discussion but would you be so kind as to let me know about the sim registration checking service please?

I too thought one had to register. I tried several times to register but it was not until near the end of time that the lady at the Telewiz shop said...you need a Thai document. She was about to use my wife's Thai National Identity Card until I pulled out my Thai driving licence and she used that.

Thanks in advance

Regards

No need for a Thai document. Passport works fine, didn't need anything else (like driving licence or registration). People i know who didn't register their sim's got shut down.

I've never ever registered my details for a SIM card

Ever

That may be true, but when did you last get one?

I just got a SIM when I got this 590 Baht smartphone for my father in 7-Eleven and I had to produce ID.

October 2015 - MBK

Yes, I got one of these 6 months ago, no reqistration and it's still working. I've checked it with the sim reqistration 'checking' service, and it confirmed my card is registered. Only it isn't?

A friend from Singapore got one a couple of weeks ago. Bought a top up, but wasn't working.

On the packaging there was a small sticker advising you need to register the SIM card before use.

My wife forgot to register my daughters PAYG and it got short down.

You must be lucky.

If I were a cynical sort, I'd bet everything you do at the airport is attached to your photo on CCTV, and if your "unregistered" SIM were to be used for nefarious purposes, they'd knock on your door in a few days- after they went through the CCTV at the time that SIM was given out, and matched it with the photos they took when you checked in at immigration, and tied it to a CCTV camera near where the SIM was used one time.

But I am a wingnut conspiracy fan...

@T100.

Thanks in advance

Regards

*151# to check Truemove SIM registration. AIS, DTAC may be different.

Here it says *151# works with all providers. But I've only tested it on Truemove.

Edited by meltingpot2015

The *151# and *151*9# service numbers seem to have been shut down. I get the following message when I checked today on a SIM that has been registered, and also on a free SIM I received on 19 October that has not yet been registered.

post-21260-14485618180372_thumb.jpg

Qatar must have registered them to itself. Presumably the theory is they will be used for a couple of weeks and then chucked.

And the ones on the immigration official's desk?

Is it possible they are pay as You Go Tourist Cards which will have a limited lifespan and hence not require registration??

Seems to bypass the reason for obligating registration somewhat!

I have a stack of True SIM's that are handed out inside the luggage belt area. You need to take them to the True desk, show your passport and put money on them as they only have 20 baht credit but it still saves you 250 baht since you don't have to purchase the SIM.

Kurt

Aren't free sim cards used to hook you into using a particular phone carrier? The hope is the money lost on the sim is made up by fees for service. You can go to a carrier's shop anytime and request a free sim if you have an account. I got a free mini for my iPhone.

I have never paid for a sim in the States.

Qatar must have registered them to itself. Presumably the theory is they will be used for a couple of weeks and then chucked.

And the ones on the immigration official's desk?

Is it possible they are pay as You Go Tourist Cards which will have a limited lifespan and hence not require registration??

Seems to bypass the reason for obligating registration somewhat!

They could possibly be old 2G service which ends on Dec 21st and would require registration by 16th Dec to upgrade.

There is no lifespan on pay as you go. I have a freebie I got 9 years ago but it had to be registered. Now that it has been registered I can see the usage details online, that wasn't available before.