Huge mess at Chiang Mai airport... thank you Lanterns

arithai12

I have been in Thailand for the last 8 years, mostly in Chiangmai,,,,I have never heard of an aircraft major incident caused by the lanterns.

This is a famous Festival that brings tourists and money to the area....

Airport crew may have to inspect the runway more often to remove a few lost lanterns on the ground,,,,

And you probably haven't heard of an aircraft being brought down by a lantern, or lanterns, but that doesn't dictate that it won't, or can't happen.

Operators of aircraft, and aircrew, will always err on the side of caution where safety is involved.

Authorities can choose to cancel the festival or plan in advance with the airlines . They know 1 year in advance the day and time the Festival in going on.

They are the one making money with the tourist coming for the Festival and they are the one controlling safety issue, They need to plan properly and balance business and safety.

As far as I know, they announced a long time ago that lanterns were banned except in certain areas and on c ertain days.

If the airlines are too dumb or too lazy to respond accordingly, it's their fault in my book.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been in Thailand for the last 8 years, mostly in Chiangmai,,,,I have never heard of an aircraft major incident caused by the lanterns.

This is a famous Festival that brings tourists and money to the area....

Airport crew may have to inspect the runway more often to remove a few lost lanterns on the ground,,,,

And you probably haven't heard of an aircraft being brought down by a lantern, or lanterns, but that doesn't dictate that it won't, or can't happen.

Operators of aircraft, and aircrew, will always err on the side of caution where safety is involved.

Authorities can choose to cancel the festival or plan in advance with the airlines . They know 1 year in advance the day and time the Festival in going on.

They are the one making money with the tourist coming for the Festival and they are the one controlling safety issue, They need to plan properly and balance business and safety.

As far as I know, they announced a long time ago that lanterns were banned except in certain areas and on c ertain days.

If the airlines are too dumb or too lazy to respond accordingly, it's their fault in my book.

If you missed it, the airlines did plan in advance and did reschedule their flights for one night, the 25th where it was approved for free release of khom fai and was publicly announced. So one can't fault the airlines as they did their part. What other countries would shut down an entire airport for a celebration?

If you missed it, the airlines did plan in advance and did reschedule their flights for one night, the 25th where it was approved for free release of khom fai and was publicly announced. So one can't fault the airlines as they did their part. What other countries would shut down an entire airport for a celebration?

How come there were so many delays then?

What other countries would shut down an entire airport for a celebration?

Indonesia. The airport at Denpassar Bali is closed for a full day during the Balanese New Year Celebration. Has been for along time I think as it was that way 45 years ago when I was there and the net says it is still that way this year.

It is not just the Airport that is closed, the whole island shuts down. It is a great way to celebrate, all is quiet, nobody out and about.

Loi Krathong predates the Chiang Mai airport, and aviation in general, by many years. Evidently the airlines have not yet figured out how to schedule flights around this predictable annual event. Why are you blaming the lanterns?

Udon just simply banned lanterns....and not even one flight late at night ...

Go figure

Forgot to tell the passengers?

Possibly due to 'flight compression'. That is the flights rescheduled have been placed in shorter queues and can't get them all down due to a shorter separation period then when they are spread out. That would also partially explain the masses at the airport shown, combination of delays and concentrated arrivals/departures.

Possibly due to 'flight compression'. That is the flights rescheduled have been placed in shorter queues and can't get them all down due to a shorter separation period then when they are spread out. That would also partially explain the masses at the airport shown, combination of delays and concentrated arrivals/departures.

So "flight compression" is unrealistic scheduling. Shouldn't the airlines and/or airport know how to schedule realistically?

So "flight compression" is unrealistic scheduling. Shouldn't the airlines and/or airport know how to schedule realistically?

Probably a new concept for them except that one of Thai time. biggrin.png