New house + 1Rai of land = What to grow ?

Once Bitten

We have recently moved location to a new house , the house comes with just over a rai of land .

The land has a working water well and sprinkler pipes all ready installed covering most of the land , the well has an electrical pump which is working ok , but the land its self is now covered in weeds.

The land has long parallel rows of raised earth mounds that are irrigated by the water sprinklers which I think are used mostly in the dry season , It seems that during the rainy season the land at times , in some parts can become water logged so I think thats the reason for the raised earth mounds .

I have no idea what the past land owner grew .

I have had a look through the farming section and many of the types of crops seem to be ideal for larger areas , but I was wondering what sort of crop would be better suited to a smaller area of about 1 rai .

My wife my self and family members would be involved in the necessary labour .

It seems a shame not to do some thing with the land , so I would like to look at the possibility of utilizing the empty land and its water well and sprinkler system to supplement our income , so I'm looking for basic ideas as what to grow on the land .

Ideas or susgestions most welcome thumbsup.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can work as much or as little as you like no matter how big or small your land is. Many things i can advise you to grow but if you are in the wrong area they will be no good.

We are now situated in a small village between Dan Kwian and Chokchai in the province of Nakhon Ratchasima .

So far Ive found one large wholesale market that locals sell their produce to , and buyers then come from other areas to buy in bulk . In the area where we are it seems there's a lot of land planted with Cassava and ive seen large areas of land planted with what looks like a tall grass.

In the short time ive been here ive all so seen quite a few smaller land plots growing Cucumbers , Chillies , Green beans , Tomatoes , Asparagus , Peanuts , and assorted fruit trees.

It would be nice to find a crop type that is not too labour demanding ( having to constantly be on the land every day ) but may be that does not exist smile.png

Our idea is to only supplement our income so its not critical to have a daily income return .

Ok so you want a low labor crop. A few come to mind. But will take a bit of time to grow , maybe 1 year or around that. Bamboo, kafir lime,banana, frogs but you need to feed them every day. If it was me ide be looking at long beens (toowa fukyeow) grows quick 45 days to harvest. Then pick every second day till they stop producing. Put 1 area in 10 meters x 15 meters,long beens. Then another area of kafir lime same area ,bamboo same. And put frogs in a small dam. Long beens give you something to do and that area is not too big to control. Plant kafir lime in rows of raised beds 1 meter apart each plant 50 cm apart in a zigzag pattern. Kafir lime isnt too labor intensive. Also bamboo is not labor intensive. You wont make much money but itll stop you going mad. We have an area of 10 meters x 20 of long beens and we got 300bart per day. Sell them bunches of 10 bart each ,house to house. Good beer money. Pick in the morning. Drinking beers by 11A.M. youve got water so can sell in the dry time for 20 bart per bunch.

Cheers Cobbler

After the kafir lime trees grow for about 8 months from seedling you can pick leaves. 50bart per kilo. Then pick again 2 to 3 months after that when leaves are big. Put pig shit on every month to save on pui,fertilizer. Bamboo is easy just plant about 3 meters apart, sit back and wait for 8 months to 1 year. Then cut the shoots. Your mrs will know probably,thais have been at this for years,100s of years.

These are kafir lime grown for leaves. Pull off all the flowers

Thanks for the ideas and comments thumbsup.gif , frogs I never thought of .

My idea was to if possible hopefully use the existing water well and sprinkler system .

The Kafir Limes look interesting along with the Long Beans , Bamboo seems a bit long term , is the plastic sheeting place along the Kafir Limes to stop weed growth ?

The nearest large city to us is Korat , but around us there seems to be many villages and small towns.

I remember going to a silk spinning display and have a faint memory of the person saying some thing about the leaves the caterpillars only eat are a good crop to grow ?

The idea of a crop that is not labour intensive is just some thing that sounds better , we are not lazy and have plenty of time on our hands smile.png

Youve got 2 good advantages. Water and a wholesale market close to you. The plastic is to stop weeds. Talk to a local kings progect before start as they will know things to be aware of. Bacteria can grow under the plastic,but is easily fixed. Be sure to build the rows up high enough so drainage is good. The Thais making money off something know how to shut there mouth. Dont expect to make millions but if you make beers money or something for not too much work it is very rewarding. 1 kafir lime at 1or 2 year old makes about 300 grams every 3 months,if taken care of properly.ie pig shit and kill the insects. Frogs are easy feed and a good fence. Put a light over the top of the dam so at night they have free food. Like your idea about leaves for silk worms.

Another 1 isaan people love to eat is crickets, malang wang or something like that. Easy to maintain, but again ,you have to be there. Frogs are better.

Mate love your idea. Dont cancel out the idea of a long term crop like bamboo. Because if you get tired of working every day or nearly tou have something else to rely on.

Cheers Cobbler

I would first of all plant one or two rain trees(5'oclock tree)You will enjoy the shade and they are very fast growing.

We grow a lot of different veggies and fruits but not to sell ,just for own use.You also make money that way plus you know what (or what not) you are eating.

Youve got 2 good advantages. Water and a wholesale market close to you. The plastic is to stop weeds. Talk to a local kings progect before start as they will know things to be aware of. Bacteria can grow under the plastic,but is easily fixed. Be sure to build the rows up high enough so drainage is good. The Thais making money off something know how to shut there mouth. Dont expect to make millions but if you make beers money or something for not too much work it is very rewarding. 1 kafir lime at 1or 2 year old makes about 300 grams every 3 months,if taken care of properly.ie pig shit and kill the insects. Frogs are easy feed and a good fence. Put a light over the top of the dam so at night they have free food. Like your idea about leaves for silk worms.

Another 1 isaan people love to eat is crickets, malang wang or something like that. Easy to maintain, but again ,you have to be there. Frogs are better.

Mate love your idea. Dont cancel out the idea of a long term crop like bamboo. Because if you get tired of working every day or nearly tou have something else to rely on.

Cheers Cobbler

Thanks for the great info , I'm not looking to make large amounts of money , just to use the now empty land to add a few Baht to our kitty.

Does the Kafir Lime have large long spikes sticking out from its stems , if so I think on the land we have a few of these all ready growing there, they have what I would describe as small lime fruit , but I did not realize that the leaves were some thing that could be sold for a profit .

The silk worm's and the leaves that they eat are I now believe are from ''Mulberry'' Bushes and are mentioned here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633328-mulberries/

My wife seems to think that the Mulberry can be easily grown and managed for their leaves and berries , as for the profitability , I'm not sure but they could be another thing to consider .

Mate this is a pic of a kaffir lime leaf. So if the lepost-146671-14488258310143_thumb.jpgaves look like this ,you have the right tree already. Yes they have spikes but not bad,they tend to vary in size a bit depending on the tree. Mulberry, if people are doing it successfully in your area that could be good. You can google price per kg for any produce. Sorry its in thai. Ask your mrs to find it on a gov website. It seems very accurate.

Cheers Cobbler

Just as an alternative suggestion, why not have a serious look at a Permaculture design and then use what you grow for your own use to cut your own living costs ( less harvesting, transport to market costs and the produce does not need to be as much market presentable). You will be also able to use your excess produce to barter as well. Plus out of the Permaculture design you will see the best crops emerge so you can then develop those ideas for a extra income.

Frogs sound an excellent idea too. Water chestnuts around the ponds may also worth looking at.

Just as an alternative suggestion, why not have a serious look at a Permaculture design and then use what you grow for your own use to cut your own living costs ( less harvesting, transport to market costs and the produce does not need to be as much market presentable). You will be also able to use your excess produce to barter as well. Plus out of the Permaculture design you will see the best crops emerge so you can then develop those ideas for a extra income.

Frogs sound an excellent idea too. Water chestnuts around the ponds may also worth looking at.

Love it ,deffinately worth a thought.

There was a mention of tall grass earlier. I have a friend in the Korat area who talks about growing Napier grass (also known as Kings Grass I believe) for cattle feed. I have grown a small patch, actually, let a small patch grow by itself (easy). No idea of the returns or market but could be worth looking into if you have an dairy or beef feedlots near you. I hope to grow it to fence off areas as well as use it to feed the odd cow.

The Thais aren't stupid so my first suggestion would be to look at what your neighbours are growing. Ask them. You may want to get a soil analysis done. Soil improvement will likely be necessary. Trial and experiment, no monocropping, forget about making money.

A problem here is theft. Most vegetable gardens are shaded.