Yellow house book

It doesn't help at all other than to confirm your address (which can be done via a myriad of other documents).

Where it does help is in two key areas: the first is you no longer need a certificate of residence when you go to buy or sell a car/bike etc and secondly, it gives you access to some banking products otherwise available only to Thai's.

• Like 2

It is also useful for signing up for utilities. For example, say you are married and the internet is in your wife's name. You can not go in by yourself and change your program. If the internet is in your name, you can upgrade it by yourself.

Edited by noise

It is also useful for signing up for utilities. For example, say you are married and the internet is in your wife's name. You can not go in by yourself and change your program. If the internet is in your name, you can upgrade it by yourself.

Can't sign Internet to a house on yellow book.

I was denied.

Wife and blue book needed.

3BB.

Khun baan.

I prefer to use mine as it seems more acceptable as proof of "residency" although not the same as a Certificate of Residency. Possibly someone here can confirm that?

The id number at the top left of your personal information page appears equivalent to a Thai Nationals.id card number. I point that number out and tell them I "am Thai" (in Thai) and the price of many entrance fees miraculously drops by 30-50%. Recently used in Khrabi at a National Park and here in Pattaya at Nong Nooch garden and a couple of other places where the price varies.

Great for official id. here generally and worth the effort to get one from my experience.

It proofed useful at the revenue service when applying for tax return.

All in Thai script and ID from the YB.

At least makes it easier for Thai administration.

At the DLT (driving license) I didn't need a proof of residency, but they still put the passport number as ID on the DL.

Each office to its own biggrin.png

And indeed at immigration I don't need any papers from my wife (as proof of residence) for retirement extension.

Go to the local amphoe (district administration) and find out how laborious it is to get one.

Some offices make it very easy (like ours, simple translations done locally, no embassy involved), others have absurd requirements (documents authenticated by embassy and Thai foreign ministry).

In the latter case you may find that you can live without it wink.png

Requirements might be easier if you are married to a Thai woman and marriage registered at the amphoe (what I assume from my case).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have one because immigration asked for it when I moved home. I had not needed one previously during many years of residing in a different province.

If it's easy to obtain or immigration ask for it then you might want to get one. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

PS: I note that other posters to this thread list many advantages of having a yellow housebook. I have yet to experience any use for it other than at immigration but nonetheless do feel that you might wish to consider their very positive comments when considering whether to go for one or not.

I was denied.

3BB.

Khun baan.

TOT accepted me on the internet 2 months ago I changed the name from my ex girl friend with no problem

Does yellow book state the you are the owner as well as occupant, if it is your condo? BTW, I got mine about a year ago, and it has come in handy several times. The Chinot was good for 3bb, but as others mentioned it opens up some banking opportunities.

I was denied.

3BB.

Khun baan.

TOT accepted me on the internet 2 months ago I changed the name from my ex girl friend with no problem

Can confirm 3BB accepted my yellow book to sign up no problem at all

• Like 1

Does yellow book state the you are the owner as well as occupant, if it is your condo? BTW, I got mine about a year ago, and it has come in handy several times. The Chinot was good for 3bb, but as others mentioned it opens up some banking opportunities.

Neither the blue nor the yellow book is about ownership. Both are merely a tool for the population census, a list of persons who live at a given address.

• Like 1

Neither the blue nor the yellow book is about ownership. Both are merely a tool for the population census, a list of persons who live at a given address.

A "side effect" of the YB is, that your name appears in Thai script and that you get a citizen ID in the national register.

Citizen ID in the same form as for Thais (13 + 1 digits, for foreigner starting with digit 6).

If you already have your name transcribed to Thai from marriage you should make sure that the translator uses this transcription.

(transcription from English to Thai is a complicated matter and not really exact science)

Yes, I got my passport translated, and showed her the Chinot, so she would translate it the same way. I see the 13 digit number in the YB, but that is different than my tax id number. Is that something I should address? Tax ID is 13 digits, but starts with a "0."

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think the main advantage is living in a quiet backwater with few foreigners.

There were no steps to be honest. They knew me at the office from visiting yearly to collect the annul paper document to obtain the retirement extension.

I just went with my wife and asked for the yellow book. They have only recently started doing them due to nobody ever asking for them. They then came to the house and interviewed regards previous history of employment, financial status, length of time in Thailand, confirmed country of residence etc.

They then wanted to know details regards children, ex wife, mother and father ( I had to provide parents birth and death certificates, which I was forewarned about before I went on a trip and got them in the UK ) etc I do not know why, it just seemed background information as far as I could see. So, I did do some preparation beforehand regards documentation.

He then, with my other half proceeded to fill out the forms and said it was a non complicated case and could be signed off locally.We then got a call asking us to go collect the book and a few other papers to be used in conjunction with the book for any banks or Police matters ( immigration ) took a photo handing it over and that was it.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

"They knew me at the office from visiting yearly to collect the annul paper document to obtain the retirement extension"

May I ask what this paper, collected annually, presumably from an Amphur, actually is and why it is need for an extension based on retirement ?

• Like 1

I had to get a certified translation of passport page, which I think was unnecessary, because my name was already translated on the Chinot. I think they translated my parents names, on their own, but they may have already been on the extra piece of paper with the Chinot. I gave the Chinot to the translator to make sure it matched, anyway. That was 300 thb, at CMULI...and I can get a fresh one, ant time in the future for 50 thb..a little more reasonable than the fees the US Consulate charges. My gf was helpful, and we put the seller of the condo on the phone, which was nice of them to save her a trip, and she had never had either book. I was also given the Blue Book, which will be handy, if I ever sell to a Thai.