Mayonnaise?

Gandtee

I'm pretty sure there are others out there who like to do a bit of cooking. I always make my own mayonnaise in a liquidiser and generally it turns out great. Rarely, but annoyingly it goes solid in the fridge. Is it because I do not add water to it? And when it has turned solid how can I reconstitute it

When you write that the water/oil emulsion, "goes solid in the fridge", do you mean curdling?

Slate | By L.V. Anderson | Sept 30 2014
...also
Experimental Cookery From The Chemical And Physical Standpoint, by Belle Lowe
In making mayonnaise, several factors affect the formation of the emulsion, its stability, and ease of making.
The major factors may be listed as follows: (1) degree and kind of agitation, (2) the method of mixing, (3) the ingredients used, and (4) temperature. Some of these may be further subdivided...
Edited by RichCor

I think you'd need to ferment the mayo if you wanted to keep it longer and avoid it going solid in the fridge. If you just want it to last for five days, you could add vinegar to the mix, but longer than that you'd need to lacto-ferment it with raw whey, kombucha or ginger bug.

I just make small batchs as well. Add ketchup to your list. Not to mention Bbq sauce and salsa......and peanut or cashew butter and tahini......It all good. Need to save jars though.....I saw at tops the other day they had a little batch of hummus for 189b......I make my own in no time.....sorry for the rant.

I just make small batchs as well. Add ketchup to your list. Not to mention Bbq sauce and salsa......and peanut or cashew butter and tahini......It all good. Need to save jars though.....I saw at tops the other day they had a little batch of hummus for 189b......I make my own in no time.....sorry for the rant.

Certainly BBQ sauce, and have made taramasalata. It costs an arm and a leg in the supermarket. I save pickled gherkin jars and keep meaning to pickle my own. I am the sort of bloke who says 'I can do that'! and I get a kick out of doing it myself. Branston pickle and HP sauce. I've never been able to get the KFC type chicken right and have tried different recipes. I find dabbling in cooking therapeutic and more attractive than going out into my garden/ jungle and trying to tame it. Age may have something to do with it. I'm well past my 'sell by date'.coffee1.gif

Do you use palm oil? Tried it once and the next day I had butter ;-)

Now I mostly use sun flower or corn oil and never have a problem anymore,

Tip: if your mayo doesn't become hard enough during mixing, add a spoon of hot water and mix again. Always works for me.

That's how I am as well Gantee. I think in six months I have eaten out five times. Even nowdays when I visit Jomthien I only eat out if its something I cant make or go with friends. I go on tangents and scour the internet for ideas. This week middle eastern is on the menu for us........

Do you use palm oil? Tried it once and the next day I had butter ;-)

Now I mostly use sun flower or corn oil and never have a problem anymore,

Tip: if your mayo doesn't become hard enough during mixing, add a spoon of hot water and mix again. Always works for me.

I made the mistake of using Palm oil once and had the same problem. I'm not sure which oil I used in this one. I was a bit careless. I cracked it though. Micro waved it for 30 secs and it was runny. Whisked an egg yoke then gradually added the mayo. All in the liquidizer.. Its not perfect, but good enough. I'm sorry if my post regarding this was a bit petty but I'm curious about things and don't like to be beaten. Thanks for your replies.

I generally keep a jar of store bought mayo in the fridge at all times, mostly since I think it will outlive the cockroaches after nuclear Armageddon.

However I always prefer to make my own mayo, but try to limit it to what I will use within a couple of days. Oil does seem to be important, I prefer a good quality olive oil, but stay away from any of the local palm oils, they do turn to rock in a day.

That being said, homemade mayo doesn't last as well as the store bought stuff, blame that on the preservatives and stabilizers that the manufacturers add. Sometimes we forget that our forefathers, or more likely foremothers, made food to eat that day, not to store and eat later..science gave us that!

That being said, homemade mayo doesn't last as well as the store bought stuff, blame that on the preservatives and stabilizers that the manufacturers add. Sometimes we forget that our forefathers, or more likely foremothers, made food to eat that day, not to store and eat later..science gave us that!

If you pasteurise the yolks it will last for weeks instead of days.

How do you do that? I use the late Kieth Floyd's recipe for mayo using whole eggs. It works well and is easy using just a liquidiser. His recipes came before immersion whisks came along. I'm still using an old Kenwood mixer which was one of the few things I brought to Thailand. It was a present to my late wife 43 years ago in England. They made stuff to last in those days. Not wives unfortunately.

How do you do that?

To extend the shelf life of a food product, reduce bacteria growth and spoilage, you can utilize heat (pasteurization) or modify the base environmental conditions of the food product such as adding Salts, Acids (Vinegar, Lemon, Lime ... ) whatever will drop the pH level to prevent bacterial growth.
You can pasteurized eggs at home, as mentioned in this off-site topic:
cooking.stackexchange.com
this same topic thread mentions Alton Brown's Good Eats (kitchen meets science program) show entitled: Mayo Clinic that walks you through the process of making Mayo and explaining things along the way. The transcript of that show is preserved a fan page.

Not every Makro may have it, but here in Ubon they have them in the refrigerator section where the Tofu is. They have both...Egg whites and Egg yolk. If I remember correctly they come in 1 Liter plastic jugs.

Yes, same here. It's near the sour cream, butter and processed cheese section in Hua Hin.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been at Makro Pattaya yesterday, but found only liquid egg-white.

Not very helpful for mayonnaise making...wink.png

The liquid egg yolk is normally right next to the liquid egg white, they must have sold out.

Max Value has both too. But in smaller containers. If you don't run a professional kitchen, it limits the waste.

• 3 weeks later...

Forget about buying the prepared egg yolks, pasteurizing and the like, make just enough that you'll use in a reasonable time:

1 egg yolk

1/2 tsp of dijon mustard

2 tsp of lemon juice

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

salt and pepper to taste

Put the yolks in a food processor, add the mustard & lemon juice, and pulse to combine

With the processor still running, slowly add the oil and it will emulsify, then add the salt pepper to taste.

That produces enough that you can consume before it goes off, and tastes pretty awesome too