Thai police are hunting 4 Syrians on overstay following leaked ISIS threat

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai police are hunting 4 Syrians on overstay following leaked ISIS threat

post-137452-0-69457900-1449386356_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- Thai security officials are hunting for four Syrian men who are believed to be in Thailand having overstayed their permission to remain in the kingdom.

On Sunday morning, officers from the Immigration Bureau released the images of the four men who are reported to have entered the kingdom between January and August this year.

The men, who are aged between 29 and 57, entered Thailand by a combination land and air, yet the whereabouts of all four men remain unknown.

The move to release the details of the four men comes as Thailand is in a state of heightened security following the publication on Thursday of a leaked security memo which warned of a possible ISIS plot to attack Russian tourists in Thailand.

The police, who on Saturday confirmed the leaked memo was genuine, but said was just an advisory notice, have so far downplayed the threat of a possible attack by ISIS in Thailand.

This is despite a senior source at the Tourist Police telling Thaivisa on Friday that officers in Pattaya and Bangkok had been informed that Khaosan Road and Walking Street in Pattaya were thought to be potential targets. It was also confirmed that similar meetings took place in Phuket to discuss the potential threat.

On Sunday, security experts told the The Nation newspaper that the threat of ISIS carrying out some kind of attack in Thailand is 'realistic'.

Authorities in Thailand have urged members of the public to keep calm.

They also stressed that there is no evidence to suggest that any of the four wanted Syrian men have links to ISIS or any other terrorist organisation.

A: MR HAGOP KASSABIAN, 57

B: MR NAWFAL HASSOUN, 34

C: MR ABDUL AZIZ AROUK, 44

D: MR MOUAYAD HAYSTI, 29

Source: Matichon

tvn.png
-- 2015-12-06

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously....I may have seen the bloke on the top right at Fahrenheit Gogo bar last week. I wouldn't normally have taken much notice but he was whining at some length about the price of his drinks. I recognise the shirt more than the face - reminded me of my Mum's lounge curtains.

but the terrorists entered 16-30.10, not before that.

most probably those 10 suspects already left, on any other passport, but syrian. Only after 15.12, when their tourist visa expires, emmigration will know, who they were.

Edited by londonthai

Typical Thai Police Work. After the Barn Door is closed. First they said the memo may be bogus from Russia. Then they say there are 10 Syrians in Thailand Now they say 4 are on Overstay and now they are trying to locate them

What a laugh They cannot get our of their own way. Good Job Boys Now go to the General who was stopped last month for a breathalyzer Test and refused to give it. You should find some comfort

in knowing that your exaulted Leader knows how to hoodwink everyone and just follow his lead

This looks like a case of "round up the usual suspects", based on the dates mentioned these guys are not part of the Russian alert. They have been dragged out to show that something...anything...is being done, no matter how irrelevant to the case

Too trivial for such a serious topic, but have they googled?

For a moment I thought to describe in detail what I found for Hagop E. Kassabian.

But look for yourself. Picture from Dec 4 (!) of his son (?) in front of a Thai school wall board.

And he on the other pictures really looks like the "suspect" blink.png

If anything is true on his FB profile it shouldn't be too hard to visit him and ask why he overstayed wink.png

Fully agree with post #8.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Two Syrians arrested for overstaying visa

BANGKOK: Two of four Syrians who have reportedly overstayed their tourist visa have been arrested and are being investigated Immigration Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Natthatorn Praosunthorn said Sunday.

He said one of the two reported himself to police after he saw his name as being one of our wanted Syrians for having overstayed visa.

Natthathorn said the two had entered Thailand before October or before the Russian government had warned Thailand of possible terror attacks by Syrians who are Islamic State group's members.

As a result, the Immigration Bureau chief said the two might not be the Syrians being monitored for.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-06

most probably those 10 suspects already left, on any other passport, but syrian. Only after 15.12, when their tourist visa expires, emmigration will know, who they were.

16-30.10?

Is that code? It's certainly not a date on this planet.

Have to say, I am as concerned as anyone about how easy of a target Thailand is. Having said that I would expect that threat coming more from European / British "followers / brainwashed" or whatever these scum can be referred to than 4 Syrians who could have chosen Thailand rather than Europe as an escape from their situation.

The U.K. Know who has travelled, to an extent to Syria / Iraq, if they started to appear at BKK with no flags then we are in more trouble IMHO. They could easily blend in as backpackers wth their Manchester / London / Leeds accents than any Syrian could.

"Thai security officials are hunting for four Syrian men who are believed to be in Thailand having overstayed their permission to remain in the kingdom."

The only way they will get caught is if they are stupid enough to disguise themselves as Burmese laborers.

Edited by jaltsc

16-30.10?

Yes. 'Half four in October....

Edited by Lancashireman

16-30.10?

I think it means between 16 and 30 October, but very very short biggrin.png

these may or may not be the people reported by Russia FSB, but either way it is interesting that because there is focus on people from Syria they have now found 4 people on overstay, why are they not looking for people on overstay all the time

These 4 Syrian guys are probably on overstay because they are scared to go back to Syria. Great police work again, 5555

Most IS 'soldiers' are Iraqi, Saudi, Yemeni or North African and not Syrian

Not such a bad assumption.