British tourists at risk of new holiday terror threat as Thai police hunt Syrian ISIS jihadis

webfact

My boy wanted to see the world cup, jet ski event that was being held at Jomtien last weekend. What with it being a long holiday, I reluctantly agreed and we all headed down there.

As you can imagine, it was full of tourists, both Thai and western (mainly Russian) and I would remember the news of a terror threat from last week every time an Arabic group walked past. Sorry to stereo type but that's where the main threat seems to come from.

Apart from sitting on that sh*t hole of a beach amazed at how easy it would be to injure and kill hundreds of people having a vacation, I also felt this way when we traveled to the Central mall on the beach front at Pattaya.

On queuing then driving into the parking lots, the security guards standing there (probably gossiping) leaning on their mirror sticks, you know, the ones to check the underneath of a vehicle, were doing zero checking at all! Again I couldn't help thinking how easy it would be to blow this mall up.

Now I know I'm a cynic but the lack of security I saw at the weekend at probably the biggest resort in Thailand couldn't help but make me wonder not if but when it's gonna happen. We are in the height of a terror threat yet it seems this information hasn't been passed down all the way or the average security staff don't give a toss because the extra work doesn't meet their salary, I really don't know. Extra police presence at the long, busy holiday weekend to reassure the holidaying public ... nah.

Edited by lostmebike

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasn't the threat specifically to Russians? Seems like the paper is drumming up interest by saying Russians = Foreigners, Brits = Foreigners, therefore Russians = Brits.

Brits have, or will now likely become, frontline targets simply because the UK has just started bombing ISIS in Syria.

All this publicity about ISIS planning attacks at Thai resorts should be a good test to see how seriously the west takes all this terrorism stuff.

Getting a fair bit of media play in OZ.

Anyone know what the tourist numbers are in Pattaya and Phuket at the moment? Not including Chinese.

Numbers in Phuket look well down but as the Chinese are out on their tour buses all day it's difficult to tell and no doubt the authorities will announce a bumper high season for tourist numbers.

I run a 20 room guesthouse and in the past few days, since this news has made international media, we've received several cancellations, one with an explanatory email blaming the ISIS threat, and not a single new booking of significance.

I'm still awaiting the TAT statement telling us that tourism will not be affected! They've been very quiet for once, or have I missed it?

My boy wanted to see the world cup, jet ski event that was being held at Jomtien last weekend. What with it being a long holiday, I reluctantly agreed and we all headed down there.

As you can imagine, it was full of tourists, both Thai and western (mainly Russian) and I would remember the news of a terror threat from last week every time an Arabic group walked past. Sorry to stereo type but that's where the main threat seems to come from.

Apart from sitting on that sh*t hole of a beach amazed at how easy it would be to injure and kill hundreds of people having a vacation, I also felt this way when we traveled to the Central mall on the beach front at Pattaya.

On queuing then driving into the parking lots, the security guards standing there (probably gossiping) leaning on their mirror sticks, you know, the ones to check the underneath of a vehicle, were doing zero checking at all! Again I couldn't help thinking how easy it would be to blow this mall up.

Now I know I'm a cynic but the lack of security I saw at the weekend at probably the biggest resort in Thailand couldn't help but make me wonder not if but when it's gonna happen. We are in the height of a terror threat yet it seems this information hasn't been passed down all the way or the average security staff don't give a toss because the extra work doesn't meet their salary, I really don't know. Extra police presence at the long, busy holiday weekend to reassure the holidaying public ... nah.

If they dont see any danger or give a damn about their own safety re. seatbelts, helmets, riding in Kamakaze minibuses, World #2 for carnage on the roads, they certainly will not worry too much about your safety or mine.

Edited by SunsetT

Politically Correct = innocent People Ceasing to live

if most of us that come from so called democratic societys, why do we only get a vote on who rules our countries, why can t we have votes on how we want them to rule us,, simple vote at the same time as elections with a few added questions,, do we want gay marriage, do we want abortion, do we want more immigration.

Trump has the right idea, just don,t allow the goat lovers into the country. Japan already employs this strategy, and the muslims do not commit any atrocities there !

So far as permitting Muslims entry to Japan your info is based upon a proven hoax email that is constantly repeated on this forum & is incorrect.

Edited by simple1

some how i accidentally posted before finishing my thoughts,,,

more moneys to the arts

more money to the disabled , single parents etc

are we willing to pay more in taxes to have these things happen

should our militarys be involved in certain situations around the world

just want to be in a real democratic country where my voice is actually heard and i am not having to be worried about being PC incorrect by what i think is a very vocal minority but if i am wrong i as a democratic person (not us political system) i will follow what the actual majority of my fellow citizens want.. to me this is what real democracy should be.. every ass**** has an opinion and this is mine,, if yours is opposite to me i agree you are intitled to it

s an opinion and this is just mine, ok if you dont agree with me

Yup lets make this a big deal so that Thailand will standout more. Always surprises me how media and government making such a big deal out of this news leak, ok its a big deal, but won't you think by splashing it across the news and being published world wide, they are just making themselves a bigger target and more visible. They are giving these terrorist more ideas, terrorists that are located close to Thailand in countries such as Malaysia and Indonesia.

Not saying Thailand is not already a target, but some terrorist who were going to Europe might just change their mind and say, why not Thailand, its closer and lots of western tourists.

As if staying in your home country makes you any safer from the scourge of terrorism.

Actually it depends on what country is your home country.

If my home country is Mauritius, I believe it's more safe than Thailand.

Mauritius remains one of the safest tropical resort destinations at present.

hey look come on, it is only a matter of time. The US armed these <deleted> ups and let them loose, they want to take over the world but they cannot, but they think they can with their ideologies and politics, not to mention fear tactics. I have not seem my sister in 6 years and she is coming to Thai in March to visit me and I am SOOOO happy words cannot describe, but now she is scared because of this BS. ISIS are really a bunch of cowards who really without Western backing are screwed, sure loan wolves can do some things but as I have said I distance myself from tourist traps not because of this but because it is not my scene and my am a fit healthy 27 y.o

Politically Correct = innocent People Ceasing to live

if most of us that come from so called democratic societys, why do we only get a vote on who rules our countries, why can t we have votes on how we want them to rule us,, simple vote at the same time as elections with a few added questions,, do we want gay marriage, do we want abortion, do we want more immigration.

1. Read the manifestos.

2. Vote.

3. Write to your MP.

The Russian government alerted the Thai government that 10 ISIS fighters are in Thailand. So, the Thai government does a check on Syrian passport holders...Haven't they realized by now, that ISIS fighters come from many different countries? UK, America, Germany, France, Morocco, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Australia,...? And they are holding the passports of these countries..., good luck finding them by concentrating on Syrian. Are you syrious?

Edited by klauskunkel

Just remain vigilant. No need to let them ruin it for you. coffee1.gif Peaceful nation? clap2.gif

Peaceful nation in the sense that it does not export democracy (which is a scam) to other countries and destroy them if they don't comply; as the West does at all times...

The UK Government says the threat from terrorism in Thailand remains "high" and that "bomb and grenade attacks" are a potential risk, including in places visited by foreign travellers.

British tourists are urged to remain vigilant and US, French, German, Swedish and Australian nationals are also named as potential targets.

so, that means, all non-believers, all non-muslims, all who are not involved in any "anti-muslim activities".

Nice holidays for tourists. But TAT will manage it and invite more Chinese instead. And then remove all farangs off the country. If they are all gone Thailand will have peace.....?

As long as governments all over the world refuse to understand that the Islam in all its disgusting forms has declared war on us, we will become a hunted people.

The war is in every country where muslims live.

Careful, a bit too much political correctness and balance in your comment. You can be a little harder surely on one of the worlds major religions.

4 soldiers walking round NANA last night, one guy in front just taking "selfies" of the other 3.(probably to show the BOSS) i didnt even see any "sidearms" so they would be as useless as a chocolate teapot if any trouble did arise in the Plaza. i wonder what their brief was,?? perhaps they were going to throw bottles of chang or leo at the bad guys LOL

Edited by mercman24

I'd take Thailand over the the UK for a safer place regarding the present day dangers.. IMHO.

The UK is by far more dangerous than Thailand

Depends where you are in the UK. Depends where you are in Thailand.

Anywhere is the UK doesnt matter