How easy is it to go through Retirment Visa process oneself

I'm 54, wife 40, child 12. I've been getting quotes of 20K to 30K Baht per visa from "agents" to process the retirement visa application process and get extensions for my family (cheapest would be 60K Baht). We are planning to come into Thailand on Non-O visas (or tourist visas worst case). What's the cost if I do the process myself? After all, I'm retired and have the time to run around getting all the support documents. Already have bank account with required funds, condo etc in Bangkok.

The fee for a one year extension is 1900 baht. Times 3 that is only 5,700 baht.

If you enter with a tourist visa it is possible to change to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration for a fee of 2000 baht. Your wife and child would have to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get non-o visa as your dependents. Immigration will not do a change for dependent extensions.

There is not that many supporting documents. For you it is the proof of 65k baht income or proof of 800k baht in the bank. For your family marriage and birth certificates plus copies.

• Like 2

Which one is easier ,retirement or marriage visa ?

If you know whats required and can supply it there's no difference. There can be benefits to choosing either depending on ones circumstances. However, retirement extensions require less paperwork and are often agreed on the spot. Marriage extensions (some retirement) are put under 30 day consideration (formality).

Which one is easier ,retirement or marriage visa ?

It depends on which financial proof is easier for you. Retirement 65k baht income or 800k baht in the bank or marriage 40k baht income or 400k baht in the bank.

Marriage requires a few more supporting documents and a trip back to get the extension stamp.

I also been reading for converting Non-O to Retirement Visa you need 18 months left on Passport. I actually have 16 months left. My plan was to renew my passport as soon as I get back with our Non-O's (from Vientiane in early January 2016) before applying for retirement (takes about 3 weeks to get new passport). Or is 16 months ok for retirement visa?

I also been reading for converting Non-O to Retirement Visa you need 18 months left on Passport. I actually have 16 months left. My plan was to renew my passport as soon as I get back with our Non-O's (from Vientiane in early January 2016) before applying for retirement (takes about 3 weeks to get new passport). Or is 16 months ok for retirement visa?

The 18 month passport validity is only a requirement to get a multiple entry visa at an embassy or consulate.

There is no minimum passport validity to apply for an extension of stay. But if you don't have 12 months remaining your extension will only be done to the date your passport expires.

You don't need 18 months. 16 is fine. If you had less than 1 year the extension would be granted for the remaining number of months of the passports validity.

You don't convert a non 'O' to a retirement visa. You enter the country using the non O' visa that gives you a 90 day permit to stay. You then apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. A single entry visa is used and invalid upon entry to the country.

Edited by elviajero

Three weeks ago I did it in 4 hours 50 minutes on a Tuesday. I was in line for que at 6:45am

I suspect you live in Chiang Mai ?

Normally (read: other Immigration Offices) it's not that extreme, and OP regarding your question how hard it is, not really hard. The hard bit is gathering the documents with the Pension Letter / Bank letter the hardest (IMO).

Gathering the documents for a extension based on Marriage is much harder and also has more scrutiny as the decision to grant you the extension is not with the office you apply at but at the HQ for the Immigration region you apply at.

Ps: Any questions just ask, better come prepared then to get send away or paying an agent xx.xxx THB for .....

wai.gif

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

OP I know this is a silly question but are your wife and child Thai or farang like you?

If they are Thai then it is only you to sort out.

We're all Non Thai.

Edited by RBOP

Thailand: You cannot do a Retirement Visa in Thailand. Visas must be obtained outside of the country. In country, you can receive an extension for the purpose of retirement which will take effect when your visa has expired.

Ubonjoe, when you said "changing the tourist visa to a non Immigrant visa entry at immigration" Is this the Bangkok immigration? Can this be done in Sirindhorn immigration?

Only in Bangkok and it requires 2 trips to get it.

If based upon marriage Savannakhet is best and for retirement Vientiane to get a single entry non-o visa from here in the Isaan.

OP I know this is a silly question but are your wife and child Thai or farang like you?

If they are Thai then it is only you to sort out.

We're all Non Thai.

what makes you want to bring your family to thailand.

its not the same as a holiday far from it.

You can renew a British passport one year before it expires with that in mind it would make sense to get it before you left the UK as for retirement visa I have been doing it for over 8 years it's a doddle no need to pay huge sums the average Thai does not earn 60,000 baht per month so what you have been quoted is day.ight robbery !

• Like 1

A "retirement" visa is very easy to do yourself unless you are going to do it at Chiangmai immigration.

Here on Koh Samui I have done it in 30 minutes other times it has been up to 3 hours , it depends on the Birdman wether he is in a good mood and how many cigarette breaks he has, in the early days before the cost of visa boards were displayed it depended on how much money you were prepared to pay I once witnessed a French couple with two children pay 50,000 baht for year long visa's without the need to leave the Kingdom

On February, I did it through my lawyer. She charged me 25,000baht plus 1,900baht application fee. In fact, it should be only 15,000baht for doing retirement visa and because I have to change my ED visa to tourist visa, she needed to change me 10,000baht more. 60k is really outrageous!

If I could do it so too can you. I was "dead green" when I came here first and alone and still managed to get it done. Contrary to what you might read on here from the cynical ones....some Immigration Officers can be very helpful so give it a bash and good luck.

• Like 2

Actually believe the 60k was for three people so less than what you paid - but as said there is no need for any payment as the application is very easy and even the dependents portion, although requiring a trip to obtain proper visa after applicant obtains extension, can be a few days vacation in Laos so not really that difficult. Doing it yourself you know 'shortcuts' were not taken and you are fully legal.