how many years can you keep a scooter in Thailand?

VIPinthailand

So far, I have bought 3 scooters here for the wife ..

One for 10K which we sold for 5K .. no green book or tax.

One for 20K which we traded in after 2 years for 15K

added 10K to that and bought an 18 month old 110cc wave for 25K.

I want her to swap that one soon, hoping the guy will buy back for 20K, give her another 10K and see what she comes home with. Im usually impressed.

If i continue to loose 2.5K a year in depreciation, its not worth keeping a scooter over 2 years. They become less attractive to resell, the model looks outdated and shabby especially as she likes red which fades in the sun.

The shop where her bikes come from sells part-ex or repo's from a Honda showroom ( where the shop owners wife works ) so always have a Honda service on purchase and we service as per Hondas service intervals.

Maybe you should just do the oil and filter, the plug at another interval - pads when needed and change the tyres every 1-2 years.

The frames and motors can last decades.

10 years is easy with basic maintenance.

Of course the wear parts have to be checked/replaced on a regular interval.

The oldest models driving around here must be more than 20, maybe 30 years old.

Not what you would call "roadworthy" though.

All without insurance/tax.

"village motorcycles".

Annual Bike Rally thruout Thailand you see Hundreds of the Older Hondas 30 to 40 Year range--50cc to 90cc that are still running Strong and hold there Value especially if they have a Up to dat Book and Taxes Paid..Hightly Sought after by Thais..The Bike there Grandfathers drove..

New bikes come with a small maintenance booklet that tells you exactly what to do and when. In general:

1. Follow the specified maintenance schedule

2. If you ride in dusty areas, change air filter more frequently

3. If your bike has a chain, clean and lube it regularely (every 500 to 1000km, or when necessary after riding in rain/dirt)

4. Don't crash

5. Don't fill it with E20, Diesel, LPG or Vodka

Oh, and when your little dealership does the service, look what they are doing. Many times they are too lazy to do what they should do and you'll have to insist.

If you follow those simple rules, your scooter should be good for 50k or even 100k and more km. Can't tell you how many years because I don't know how much you ride...

Road worthy..Pay the annual taxes and drive it until it falls apart

Yup.

After this happens, you can park it in your back yard and watch it rust away for the next 50 years or so. After that, you can look at the remaining pile of plastic well into the next century.

The pistons rings will need changing at some stage, but it's cheap to have done here.

If you got a Wave/Dream and do above they will run almost forever, off-course oil change intervals have to be followed as well.

Yes scooters drop fast 2nd hand, especially the budget ones; scoppy-Fino. We sold our Fino for about 13k baht if memory serves me right and it was only 3-4 years old.

Some dealers offered us 9k baht in trade in for a new scooter.

I think my pcx150 from 2012 can easily last 10 years, it still runs very well but okay have done less than 10k km's so far. So far only the brake bulb busted nothing else, even the battery is original.

A scooter like that you just start it and fill petrol and do the scheduled oil change and that's that, not much else to worry about.

I can't help love my pxc man, it's such a good little city hopper and what's is worrying me most is that somebody might steal it one day.

If you do the scheduled maintenance they will last A long time.After so many miles you'll need to maybe do the cylinder wall sleve,go 10,000ths over on piston and rings.Then you just go on and on.Usually when it starts smoking instead of doing A top end job,they

Just go and buy another.

My Sonic is 15 years old. It has done 114,000 km and would have done a lot more had I not had other bikes. Runs fine and continues to be used daily.

Cool.

Water cooled.

Longevity.

Overhaul history, if any?

Just regular maintenance. No major overhaul. Never opened up the engine to my knowledge, although it is possible a mechanic has done this without my knowledge.

Changed the wheels 2 or 3 times, they tend to get bent. Changed the front disc due to scouring. But other than that mostly original parts.

My Nuovo was one of the first produced - now nearly 10 years old.

I take the Thai approach - when it stops working take it to the shop.

86k - rented it out, crashed it twice, 6 months without being used when moving house.

This thing is close to indestructable and thrives on being abused.

1 warped front disk and bent wheel X 2, new plastic bits here and there plus gas and the odd splash of oil.

So far, I have bought 3 scooters here for the wife ..

One for 10K which we sold for 5K .. no green book or tax.

One for 20K which we traded in after 2 years for 15K

added 10K to that and bought an 18 month old 110cc wave for 25K.

I want her to swap that one soon, hoping the guy will buy back for 20K, give her another 10K and see what she comes home with. Im usually impressed.

If i continue to loose 2.5K a year in depreciation, its not worth keeping a scooter over 2 years. They become less attractive to resell, the model looks outdated and shabby especially as she likes red which fades in the sun.

The shop where her bikes come from sells part-ex or repo's from a Honda showroom ( where the shop owners wife works ) so always have a Honda service on purchase and we service as per Hondas service intervals.

Maybe you should just do the oil and filter, the plug at another interval - pads when needed and change the tyres every 1-2 years.

You said:- "They become less attractive to resell, the model looks outdated and shabby especially as she likes red which fades in the sun."

Very attractive I say!

Both our scooters cost 5,000b and are shabby to say the least.

The can be left anywhere - even with the keys in cos no right minded Thai would be seen dead on one LOL

Shabby is THE best security LOL

I traded my 3yo PCX in for a Forza about 4 weeks ago and they gave me 37,000B for the PCX. I nearly gave the bloke at GWH a hug. The Forza came with a fine set of tools such as a plug spanner. Wouldn't even know where the plug is. Even if a lamp goes GWH can replace it , too hot here to fiddle about with scooters.

If you do the scheduled maintenance they will last A long time.After so many miles you'll need to maybe do the cylinder wall sleve,go 10,000ths over on piston and rings.Then you just go on and on.Usually when it starts smoking instead of doing A top end job,they

Just go and buy another.

My neighbor has a 1965 Honda S90. He had it when he went to college--he now also has two MBs, a Honda NSX, and a Toyota quad-cab pick up, but he still rides the S90 to the store and the local. It still looks good and runs quite well. He has no idea of the mileage. He said it was his only transport for several years until he made enough to buy a car. Maintenance: his driver does it now, but he said regularly changing oil, tires, and batteries helps; and once an engine overhaul and re-paint. Not bad for 50 years of riding. I have a 1946 Harley Flathead Civilian 45 WL, but that is another story.

I traded my 3yo PCX in for a Forza about 4 weeks ago and they gave me 37,000B for the PCX. I nearly gave the bloke at GWH a hug. The Forza came with a fine set of tools such as a plug spanner. Wouldn't even know where the plug is. Even if a lamp goes GWH can replace it , too hot here to fiddle about with scooters.

How much was the Forza out the door?

Kurt

As smotherb said above ... A scooter is just a machine, and like all machines it needs periodic maintenance. Given that, there is really no end to its useful life - or until the spare parts market dries up. Preventive maintenance is the key - fix it before it breaks down is always cheaper in the long run, as well as not having to deal with a dead ride at zero dark thirty.I also own a WL back in N. America, 1944, ex-military. Runs great. No front brake, suicide clutch, tank shifter and foot brake. Gives you a new skill set to starting off from a standing stop on a hill !

I have a Honda Air blade Automatic which will be 10 years old in February. I would not consider buying another bike as it still looks and feels like a new bike. It has only 45000 k's on it . Minor service and oil change every 3000 k's cost about 100bt... I have reconditioned the carby at 40000 k's. The fuel pump was replaces at about 42000 k's.. Have not replaced the transmission belt yet !!!! Most bikes this age do not have a fuel pump as the tank is under the seat. The Air blade is not a step through and has a lot more room for helmet or shopping as the fuel tank and filler cap are located lower, hence the need for a fuel pump.

The writers question about "how long can you keep a scooter for" is the same as asking "how long is a piece of string" !!! The answer is similar. It just depends on how you look after your bike as most Hondas literally will run forever if you look after them.. Having said that many bikes in this country are abused and not looked after and they also seem to run forever..

It just depends on your need or your perception of image .. I don't car about image and never worry about having and older bike .. Its practical and cheap to own and run forever and still looks good...

If properly looked after, a Honda Wave will last year after year ( is a Honda Wave a scooter?).

When I was a teacher, one of my fellow teachers got a new Wave 100 or 110 I think, when she was 15 years old.

She was 35, and the wave was still going strong.

Mine gets fresh oil and filters every 1000km.

At 10,000km it gets a major overhaul which consists mainly of a new replacement scooter.

I don't think a Honda Wave would require all that, I had a wave for 7 years, no overhauls of any sort.

Just normal servicing, when I sold it, it had 57000+ Ks on the clock.

I sold the bike for 16000 Bt.

Archived