how many years can you keep a scooter in Thailand?

VIPinthailand

Mine gets fresh oil and filters every 1000km.

At 10,000km it gets a major overhaul which consists mainly of a new replacement scooter.

I don't think a Honda Wave would require all that, I had a wave for 7 years, no overhauls of any sort.

Just normal servicing, when I sold it, it had 57000+ Ks on the clock.

I sold the bike for 16000 Bt.

I dont have a Honda wave.

I have a Honda Wave 125 since over 10 years. In the first year it had its regular service, tax and insurance. The past 9 years I didn't bother with any. Only work done on it since is the occasional new inner tyre. It is starting to sound a bit rough and squeaks a bit. Maybe needs some fresh oil after 9 years... That said it only does maybe 2000km per year. Don't know exactly, since dashboard has been non functioning since 4 years.

I have had mine 8 years now. It is in reasonable condition, only 30,000 km.

Changed the pistol grips and the drive belt gave out at about 25,000... probably best to replace that sooner as it means you get stranded.

Battery replaced twice, they seem to last only 2-3 years. A new air filter but that was partly my fault as my cleaning attempts were dumb.

Regular servicing and oil replacement initially ever 5k but I am getting lazier!

Tyres as needed of course, and recovered the seat although my bloody cat soon made that a waste of money!

Reliable thing and I plan to keep it until it isn't.

If you do the scheduled maintenance they will last A long time.After so many miles you'll need to maybe do the cylinder wall sleve,go 10,000ths over on piston and rings.Then you just go on and on.Usually when it starts smoking instead of doing A top end job,they

Just go and buy another.

My neighbor has a 1965 Honda S90. He had it when he went to college--he now also has two MBs, a Honda NSX, and a Toyota quad-cab pick up, but he still rides the S90 to the store and the local. It still looks good and runs quite well. He has no idea of the mileage. He said it was his only transport for several years until he made enough to buy a car. Maintenance: his driver does it now, but he said regularly changing oil, tires, and batteries helps; and once an engine overhaul and re-paint. Not bad for 50 years of riding. I have a 1946 Harley Flathead Civilian 45 WL, but that is another story.

The Honda 90 and the Honda 50 in 1965 was the first two Japanese bikes to be sent to the UK,"Motorcycle Magazine" gave a rave strip down revue,of a quality product,and thus ended the UK Motorcycle industry! and Japan never looked back!

You said:- "They become less attractive to resell, the model looks outdated and shabby especially as she likes red which fades in the sun."

Very attractive I say!

Both our scooters cost 5,000b and are shabby to say the least.

The can be left anywhere - even with the keys in cos no right minded Thai would be seen dead on one LOL

Shabby is THE best security LOL

Totally .. Only someone smashed the lock on the 10k bike and tried to steal it outside big C, a 15 year old Honda dream !!

Faded red is cool if your a rubber farmer but if your a Thai woman "competing" with the other girls at work, not so.

There's one thing she never will do, but over my dead body, but a new one on credit. So keeping her with a nice scooter in the 20-30k bracket just makes my life quieter.

If you do the scheduled maintenance they will last A long time.After so many miles you'll need to maybe do the cylinder wall sleve,go 10,000ths over on piston and rings.Then you just go on and on.Usually when it starts smoking instead of doing A top end job,they

Just go and buy another.

My neighbor has a 1965 Honda S90. He had it when he went to college--he now also has two MBs, a Honda NSX, and a Toyota quad-cab pick up, but he still rides the S90 to the store and the local. It still looks good and runs quite well. He has no idea of the mileage. He said it was his only transport for several years until he made enough to buy a car. Maintenance: his driver does it now, but he said regularly changing oil, tires, and batteries helps; and once an engine overhaul and re-paint. Not bad for 50 years of riding. I have a 1946 Harley Flathead Civilian 45 WL, but that is another story.

The Honda 90 and the Honda 50 in 1965 was the first two Japanese bikes to be sent to the UK,"Motorcycle Magazine" gave a rave strip down revue,of a quality product,and thus ended the UK Motorcycle industry! and Japan never looked back!

Yup. I had a Honda 90 in the early 70's.

The only problem I recall was corrosion of the metal part than went over the spark plug.

It stopped the spark eventually.

An easy fix though.

Just go and buy another.

Piss-poor service and unreliability ended the UK motorcycle industry in the States--it's a wonder how Harley kept it up; better marketing helped.

Archived