Smoke, Smog, Dust 2016-2017 Chiang Mai

Tywais

I finally got things done to make my 1st trip to Thailand but now putting it off until I don't see red in the 2.5 Chang Mai chart.

Unless LolaS will let me stay with her, since where she is in CM she  always seems to see clear skies there.

Edited by JimmyJ

Undoubtedly the reason for the recent improvement is due to the strong storm system has blown into Thailand from the south. Related story: Upper parts of Thailand to experience tropical storm. This could conceivably be blowing the smokey air out of Thailand and into Burma. Later in the month is expected to be hot and dry, so prepare for worsening conditions accordingly.

Edited by canopy

4 hours ago, canopy said:

Undoubtedly the reason for the recent improvement is due to the strong storm system has blown into Thailand from the south. Related story: Upper parts of Thailand to experience tropical storm. This could conceivably be blowing the smokey air out of Thailand and into Burma. Later in the month is expected to be hot and dry, so prepare for worsening conditions accordingly.

I was just going to comment on all the wind blowing the smoke away. 

Each morning I wake up expecting to see Suthep in a cloudy fog, but it is surprisingly clear.

• Like 1

Phrae getting smoked suddenly.  Note this is PM10.  PM2.5 is likely to be BROWN.   "1-hr AQI" possibly hitting over 400 for PM2.5  (PM10 peak @ AQI 296 under the MAX column).  Possibly affected nearby Lampang too.

LB4Pltc.jpg

Edited by vivid

I drove from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen in the last few days and there were many wild fires, totally out of control with little being done. Ok, well not enough manpower, but the people right on the side of the road burning off all their stuff/whatever in plain view simply means there is no understanding or their will never be any enforcement. The large sugar factory outside of Khon Kaen with trucks lined up for miles with raw sugar cane had an enormous amount of burning off of sugar cane waste in that area. Horrible smell for 20km each way. It was disappointing and I am hopeful that the wealthy owners will realize what this is doing to their offspring. 

Hello All,

I just landed in CM yesterday.  I've been monitoring the AQ here, but I just stumbled across this forum topic this morning.  Very in depth and informative !!  We have some savvy people here willing to share - thank you.

I would like to buy an air purifier today.  Where is the best place to go ?  Power Buy?  Any air purifier recommendations?  ( came across this review for a Chinese device Xiaomi Air Purifier 2.) I Doubt I can get one of these here, what brands and models are you all using?  

I'm a cyclist as well ... Is the 3M store the best place for N95 masks ?  I'm guess an exhalation valve in a must - does anyone have a preference on which 3M mask to use?

Again - thank you all for your support and advice.  My apologies if my questions have been addresses in the previous 32 pages ... I haven't read all the posts yet.

Edited by burners19

1 hour ago, burners19 said:

Is the 3M store the best place for N95 masks ?

I bought some N95 at the TESCO super highway / flower market area.  Packaged noted used for painting, sanding etc.  Also a model just a bit more expensive - R95 - supposedly better yet.

2 hours ago, burners19 said:

Hello All,

I just landed in CM yesterday.  I've been monitoring the AQ here, but I just stumbled across this forum topic this morning.  Very in depth and informative !!  We have some savvy people here willing to share - thank you.

I would like to buy an air purifier today.  Where is the best place to go ?  Power Buy?  Any air purifier recommendations?  ( came across this review for a Chinese device Xiaomi Air Purifier 2.) I Doubt I can get one of these here, what brands and models are you all using?  

I bought another Blueair 603 from eaeasy.com here in Thailand a month or so ago, but had I kept following the blog of the guy who reviewed the Xiaomi, I'd have bought that instead I think, after checking from the specs sheet that the volume of air it moves is comparable to the 603.  Though at that price, one could buy several of them before reaching even half the price of a Blueair 603.  Sounds like a great product from a company who appear to make good quality products.

I usually prefer to buy stuff at Home Pro, as I've never had any trouble with returns there.  Not sure about the price for air purifiers, but after comparing the prices of other things, I have got the  impression, right or wrong, that Powerbuy is overpriced.

It certainly looks bad in the city but as at a afew minutes agothe  http://aqicn.org site for Chiang Mai Municipal City Hall and Yuparaj has not been updated from 3.00pm yesterday.  The GAIA station which is cited above at 207 (now 298 so nearly in the Hazard area) is Phrao about 100km away.  Would be good to get some current city figures, but as said, looks really bad now.

Edited by mamborobert

Where can I find this information? I use the Air Quality app (set to Yupparaj Wittayalai station) for an up-to-date figure on my phone, but its been showing the same number since 10am on Saturday (151/red)!  So not reliable! Thanks. 

Edited by SundayAfternoon