New Thai alcohol laws come into effect from January

webfact

I probably need to increase the size of my bar, I think I would be the only one in my village more than 300 metres from a school. There are five or six schools in our village, all on the main road, and virtually all businesses are on the main road.

I cannot possibly see how this can be enforced, it will certainly ruin some businesses.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that when this law was first introduced several months back, that it only referred to a certain type of school. Not every school. Which in turn would substantially reduce the number of businesses affected. First I've heard about the temples though, which does concern me because where I live, we are basically surrounded by them. Time will tell....

Is eThailand/Larry Banks a reliable source? Or could it be that this is just reconstituting the old news? Is it corroborated anywhere else?

I think I'll wait for the Royal Decree before believing anything, as the Government has shown its propensity for u-turns and changes in wording several times already.

I can hear the Vietnamese tourism people laughing from here.

Mate, you can freely smoke weed outside restaurants in Viet Nam and get a bottle of Saigon Green for as little as 14 baht and 25 satang. 20 Craven A cigarettes are less than 32 baht.

Getting visas? Walk into a shop, pay 50 USD and after 3 days your passport is returned with another 3 months for you to stay. No going to immigration, nevermind border runs to another country.

People in the service industry, even in cheap restaurants know how to smile and say "Enjoy your meal, sir."

There are kids laughing and playing everywhere. The population is happy and the country is booming.

Plus it's Heaven for anyone with a thing for thighs on bikes....

Darn it, I didn't want to be saying things like this on TVF!

I stopped reading the remaining posts after this one...

Time to explore the 1 year visa Vietnam is offering and see what all the talk is about. Can't be much worse than here and seems to be going in the right direction.

I can not see that alcohol sales near schools could be a big problem.

The big problem is obesity among Thai kids. They should ban sales of soft drinks, sweets and other unhealthy snacks around schools. That would take care of a much bigger health problem.

I have heard from some Thai young people the other week that students can still sit in their local meeting places within the 300 meter zone and eat. For their alcohol requirements they just send motor bike taxi's or go themselves to buy alcohol out side the 300 meter zone and bring it back to their meeting place to consume. As long as the shop owner does not sell it to them there is no breaking of the law. Surprise surprise. Students have already worked out how to get around this new law.

Such a wonderfully planned law (not), that was absolutely unnecessary, and destroys business.

A simple "CHECK ID CARDS" campaign is all that was needed, as in enforcing existing laws.

And they wonder why some folks call them a backwards country.

I guess common sense truly is the most uncommon kind.

Good point and I guess they also sssume that schol kids (and presumably monks) will be too lazy to walk 301 metes to buy a drink.

How long will it take for someone who is losing money to start driving around in a pickup full of beer giving out business cards for free delivery etc

As if someone is going be effected lol

If the alcohol shop was over 301meters away they would not have been walking before this ban either!

The main mom'n pop shop in my village is right opposite the entrance to the local school AND the local wat. So my good friend the shop owner is being faced with a double whammy.

I've just measured the distance from my house to the school and wat, 350 metres and 450 metres respectively (approx). Aren't I a lucky fellow? I've got plenty of room to put up a bar, import a few tables and chairs, erect a few fairy lights and bingo!

This afternoon I think I'll go and see my shop owning friend, buy him a beer and then ask him what price he wants for his large bar fridge and I'll also tell him that I'll buy any unsold liquor he's got left over after the New Year festivities, after they won't be of any use to him after Jan 1st will they?

On the other hand........

Edited by Toknarok

My village is about 400 metre diameter . All built around the school ,government office and police station. There are about 10 shops all within the 300metre so this would make my village a dry village.
My house is about 350 metres from the school so i am thinking of stocking up wholesaling for the village. There are 3 more villages around me all smaller all with schools and all will be dry , I could make a killing.
This is just as stupid as prohibition which created so much illegal behaviour.

What's with the magic 300 metres,is that as far as Thai kids will go when they want a drink.ID check,simple and heavy fines for selling to the underaged.But,many moons ago i can remember getting served in the front bar at 16.2 years later the hotel manager presented me a prize for best and fairest footy player, as the coach proudly announced i was still under 18(legal drinking age).The look on the managers face was priceless.Told him only another 3 weeks to go.

grocery stores too?

The major grocery stores, Lotus, Tescos, Big C, Top etc etc etc will longer

be selling any alcohol? This may get interesting as the anger grows.

The big stores are permitted to sell, as long as you meet a minimum requirement.

If you want, say, 3 big Leos, not allowed. Purchase a case or two, no problem.

There does seem to be a get out if your a Guest house or hotel you can still sell booze.

A friend of mine who owns a bar restaurant opposite a School, has turned one of his rooms into a rented one on paper things are fine.

Has altered his sign to read Bar Restaurant and guest house now legal as far as the law goes.

I did ask how much he was charging reply it's free but sorry to say it's always full. As the kids sleep there.

Quick thinking Thai has already circumnavigated the new law weeks before it becomes a problem

Now watch the rest of the dumber ones copy his idea and by next year everyone else will be able to sell it, by hook or by crook....

Wholesale is not affected either so all they have to do is ask you to buy the whole box and that's OK too....

I've done it a few times when the were reluctant to sell just a few, I think 24 was the required amount.... But the more there is available, the more a lot of people will probably consume... Lol

That's ok until it comes to Johnny Black my mate wanted to buy me for showing his family around.Helpful check out chick at Lotus said he could buy a carton.

These are just a fraction of the existing schools.

But this is an impression of the problem for many businesses.

This map shows most of the city will be off limits

I don't think that's feasible so I guess there will be a workaround shortly after the initial Crackdown

Probably just a bit more more cash for the Bib.... And the price of alcohol might cost a few baht more per bag in the banned zones....

I don't think it's enforceable tbh

What about powerful alcohol owning families like Chang and Singh? I guess they won't appreciate their profits being slashed so this government will not last long pissing off some the richest families in the land.....

Rules like this might make an election happen sooner than anticipated...

Shifting purchases from 7/FamilyMart to bars & resturants hits Central & CP All more than bev makers. Politics?

Hmm.. It will be interesting how this will affect youth travel tourism + see how the businesses/communities will react..

Khao san rd (Bangkok) have temple in one end (withinn 300m), and if i am not mistaken Loei kroi (bar street Chiang Mai) have a few temples hidden behind there.. (again the 300 m).. Actually i think almost all old city in Chiang Mai will stop sell alcohol, as there are 1million temples everywhere..

Edited by hawkeye76

These are just a fraction of the existing schools.

But this is an impression of the problem for many businesses.

This map shows most of the city will be off limits

I don't think that's feasible so I guess there will be a workaround shortly after the initial Crackdown

Probably just a bit more more cash for the Bib.... And the price of alcohol might cost a few baht more per bag in the banned zones....

I don't think it's enforceable tbh

What about powerful alcohol owning families like Chang and Singh? I guess they won't appreciate their profits being slashed so this government will not last long pissing off some the richest families in the land.....

Rules like this might make an election happen sooner than anticipated...

Shifting purchases from 7/FamilyMart to bars & resturants hits Central & CP All more than bev makers. Politics?

This policy maybe largely ignored by everyone, in that case it won't make a bit of difference

If I stay in the condo I can order alcohol in 3 min delivered to my door for free and I'm not even Thai and it costs a shade less than the 7/11

I think thais will work around this between themselves

If profits dropped for the big powerful families I think it will manifest in the next elections but that's if monthly alcohol consumption is even affected, which remains to be seen......

The good thing is that this law gives the school kids some exercise by walking at least 300 meter to get their drinks. licklips.gif

But the benefit of that is cancelled out by them still being able to walk a few steps outside the school to get their fatty unhealthy junk foods.

Hmm.. It will be interesting how this will affect youth travel tourism + see how the businesses/communities will react..

Khao san rd (Bangkok) have temple in one end (withinn 300m), and if i am not mistaken Loei kroi (bar street Chiang Mai) have a few temples hidden behind there.. (again the 300 m).. Actually i think almost all old city in Chiang Mai will stop sell alcohol, as there are 1million temples everywhere..

Not exactly one million, but I believe the correct figures are approximately 45,000 temples and 5,000 monasteries & meditation centres. There will sure be a lot of smaller towns with 3 temples and 3 schools neatly spaced out to make the town legally "dry."

Another "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear...." moment. This one was so obviously going to create mayhem, damage or close thousands of businesses and cancel tens of thousands of jobs. How on earth did it ever get this far?

Well we know one thing. Big Alcohol interests are definitely not the power behind this government!