Turkey and Israel to restore full diplomatic relations

webfact

Turkey and Israel to restore full diplomatic relations
By Robert Hackwill

606x341_319216.jpg

ZURICH: -- A secret meeting in Zurich on Wednesday has led to a preliminary agreement between Turkey and Israel ending a long dispute.

Cordial relations turned to ashes in May 2010 when a flotilla left Turkey for Gaza, ostensibly to bring relief, but some of the boats carried militant activists more interested in protest. When Israeli soldiers boarded the flotilla to turn it back, violence ensued, and 10 Turks lost their lives.

Now Israel has promised 20 million dollars for a fund for victims’ families, and ambassadors will be exchanged. Turkey will pass a law dropping legal proceedings against Israeli officials, and it will deport a leading member of Hamas, and work to limit its activities in the West Bank.

Before the flotilla incident the two were staunch regional allies. Now with Turkey talking about importing Israeli gas to replace cut-off Russian supplies the time appeared right for a rapprochement.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-18

There we go: secret meeting, means we are not to know what has been discussed by 2 questionable nations.

One wonders whether the agreement has rendered Turkey instantly questionable, not that I trust Erdogan one iota. I hope Israel continues its policy of supporting the creation of a Kurdish state though.

There we go: secret meeting, means we are not to know what has been discussed by 2 questionable nations.

One wonders whether the agreement has rendered Turkey instantly questionable, not that I trust Erdogan one iota. I hope Israel continues its policy of supporting the creation of a Kurdish state though.

I think the benefit for Israel is expulsion of Hamas leader and turkey butting out. Though one has to question why now? Must have something to do with pissing off the Russians

i can't help but think that the secret negotiations were a whole lot more than compensation for the murdered Turks.

Israeli (or Palestinian) oil/gas for Turkey. Does this mean they won't be buying off daesh? I hope so.

The Syrian debacle figures into the deal, no doubt.

Edited by Seastallion

"Turkey talking about importing Israeli gas to replace cut-off Russian supplies the time appeared right for a rapprochement."

Thank you Putin. Looks like you missed a chess move.

Coming from the home of Kasparov and Spassky (and hundreds of other grand masters), you would have to be cynical that Putin actually misses a move.

"Turkey talking about importing Israeli gas to replace cut-off Russian supplies the time appeared right for a rapprochement."

Thank you Putin. Looks like you missed a chess move.

Coming from the home of Kasparov and Spassky (and hundreds of other grand masters), you would have to be cynical that Putin actually misses a move.
Funny you should bring up chess to support the Russians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_chess_players