Great dinner at Salsa Kitchen!

FolkGuitar

I don't care if you want to call it Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, Chiangmai-Mex, or even Not-Mex, we had a wonderful dinner at the Salsa Kitchen last night!

We started with their freshly-made Guacamole and home-made tortilla chips and a pitcher of frozen Margaritas. There was more than enough tequila in the pitcher to make it work... Then I had a combination plate with enchiladas, burrito, and quesadillas, filled with beef, chicken and pork, so a good variety of flavors, and a salad of sliced jicama and pineapple. This was served with a variety of different salsas and sour cream toppings. My wife had the rib plate, and a full plate it was, too! Some sort of a fruity BBQ glaze on the ribs gave them a deep, rich flavor, and I was forced to help her finish it all.

Everything we ate was delicious. The portion size larger than needed, and the service was attentive. If I wanted to find some negative point to balance out this report it would be the noise... This is NOT a quiet restaurant. They have changed the tables to larger, hard-wood surfaces that reflect sound, and don't have any soft wall hangings to absorb the noise, so we could hear every table... especially the loud young farangs shouting back and fourth between two tables... Much quieter when they left. Our mistake was to arrive too early. By 7:00pm the restaurant was much quieter and a delightful place for a Friday night dinner!

I have always enjoyed the food there, you just need to leave your preconcieved notions about "proper' mex behind, ... only things I didn't like there are the Jerk Jamican attempts, the S.F. mission style burrito (Ole on T.P. road is much better) and the sour cream which seems to be yogurt. Guacamole is made to order so you can tell em how you like it and I really liked the pickeled spicy vegie salsa stuff on the tables, not always present though.

I have always enjoyed the food there, you just need to leave your preconcieved notions about "proper' mex behind, ...

Having spent a LOT of time all over Mexico, I'm inclined to say that there really isn't 'A' proper Mexican style... Like 'American' food, there are very different styles that are served in all the various corners of Mexico, often having absolutely no relationship to any other...

Although L.A. and S.F. have large Mexican populations, the Mexican foods served there are just as diversified in flavor and style as they are in Mexico. There is 'good' and there is 'bad' to be found everywhere. I think we're pretty lucky to have several Mexican-style restaurants in Chiang Mai to choose from.

My favorite Mexican restaurant is called "El Mustacho," and it's in Osaka, Japan. Go figure. :)

I've visited and ate at both locations: Huay Kaew and Ruamchok. The music is typical salsa music, but Ruamchok occasionally has smooth jazz.

Their always improving the menu selection. The food is delicious, fresh, hot and generous portions. I avoid black beans anywhere in the world. Their Tex-Mex whole kernel corn casserole is refreshing and delicious.

Recently, I tried the shaved pork burrito with the corn casserole and 600 ml margarita on the rocks. Safety Note, don't drink and drive but the margarita will leave you will a smiley face [emoji41]

I recommend any of their 2 locations. If anyone have other Mexican style restaurants in the Chiang Mai variety, please let me know.

http://www.thesalsakitchen.com/

I have eaten there a few times and have no real complaints. Their guacamole is excellent. I only wish we could find the so-cal style taqueria tacos here in chiang Mai. The kind that comes on a pair of corn tortillas (not those yellow kinds that you might find in the grocery stores back in the states...mission brand I think) and only have meat (carne asada, pastor, carnitas) onions cilantro and salsa (the liquidy red or green kind) and is served with lime wedges on the side.

There really shouldn't be any argument with regards to what authentic Mexican tacos are as if you google "Mexican tacos", you will see that 90% of the google images are of what I have described.post-249936-0-36518000-1450599864_thumb.

I have eaten there a few times and have no real complaints. Their guacamole is excellent. I only wish we could find the so-cal style taqueria tacos here in chiang Mai. The kind that comes on a pair of corn tortillas (not those yellow kinds that you might find in the grocery stores back in the states...mission brand I think) and only have meat (carne asada, pastor, carnitas) onions cilantro and salsa (the liquidy red or green kind) and is served with lime wedges on the side.

There really shouldn't be any argument with regards to what authentic Mexican tacos are as if you google "Mexican tacos", you will see that 90% of the google images are of what I have described.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Read two posts above yours