Just want to make sure I am clear...

Well then, yours odds aren't bad doing this:

Arrive very early.

Dress decently.

Buy an air ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days of arrival and have solid proof of that.

If boarding challenged, first present your air ticket out and if that isn't working, be very cool and calm and politely ask to speak to a manager type.

Please report back on what happens. If they barely glance at your passport, which is possible, please don't be angry at us for getting you stressed. It is known for a fact that there is a POTENTIAL issue with being boarded in your situation.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Well then, yours odds aren't bad doing this:

Arrive very early.

Dress decently.

Buy an air ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days of arrival and have solid proof of that.

If boarding challenged, first present your air ticket out and if that isn't working, be very cool and calm and politely ask to speak to a manager type.

Please report back on what happens. If they barely glance at your passport, which is possible, please don't be angry at us for getting you stressed. It is known for a fact that there is a POTENTIAL issue with being boarded in your situation.

This is what I am going to do. I really appreciate all your responses. I deserve the stress, it'll teach me not to make this mistake again. This is a first trip to SEA, I am planning many more, so let me just get my rookie crap out of the way now. : /

Thanks for all your replies. I know it was stupid of me not to be more prepared. I would absolutely do this by mail, but honestly I am way too paranoid that I won't get my passport back in time to leave. Then I really won't be going anywhere.

i think you're being reasonable, I talked to the Embassy in DC directly,all they could tell me was they needed my passport a minimum of two weeks to process the visa, I don't like letting go of my passport that long. Anyway I did it the exact same way you're planning to , I had no problems coming in,can't imagine why they'd be any different for you.

I came over from a couple of weeks ago,with the same plan as the OP. At check-in the airline asked me about a return ticket. I told them I had an onward ticket to Kuala Lumpur,that was enough for them. i expected to show it to Thai immigration officials but nobody asked. I didn't really need the ticket, glad I had it though just the same.

I would liked to have gotten a 60 day tourist visa before I left the US, but the Thai Embassy said they needed at least 2 weeks to process it and I wasn't willing to wait that long.

I doubt I will use the ticket to KL as it'll be cheaper and easier to just go to Vientiane for a couple of days and get a tourist visa there.

Seems you're suppose to have proof of return or onward travel, apparently they don't really check or or only check if you smell suspicious,so best to have for CYA.

"i expected to show it to Thai immigration officials but nobody asked. I didn't really need the ticket, glad I had it though just the same."

It's not immigrations in Thailand that you need to worry about in most cases. It's boarding an airline flying to Thailand where the problem may arise.

The problem is that if you don't have a visa AND for some reason are refused entry to Thailand, the airline is responsible for removing you. If you have an onward flight booked out of Thailand then the original airline would not get stuck with paying for your flight out.

Since you plan to go to Siem Reap anyway, but a ticket from Bangkok to Siem Reap for a date a bit before the first 30 days is up.

(NB The day you arrive in Thailand is Day # 1, so the 30 days means that day plus 29 more).

Edited by Suradit69

In regard to getting a Visa in advance, done by mail within the USA before you leave, in some locations there is an 'urgent' service for an extra fee.

This is not available everywhere and they often don't publish where it is available. Maybe worth checking if you decide to get the Visa before you leave.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed empty quotes

What I dont understand about this issue is ............................................

if you are from a country that is eligible for a 30 day visa exempt entry ..........................why does the airline care about a visa or return ticket.

Thai immigration rules allow you to enter on a 30 day exempt...................at worst you then become overstay and that is NOT the airlines problem.

when I first came to Thailand ( from Australia) 3 years ago ..................I only had a one way ticket and NO VISA ( obtained entry visa exempt). I had no issues boarding the plane.

I have of course since obtained permission to stay based on retirement.

What I dont understand about this issue is ............................................

if you are from a country that is eligible for a 30 day visa exempt entry ..........................why does the airline care about a visa or return ticket.

<snip>

I understand what you are saying, but the airlines are playing it safe aka they don't wanna lose money and possibly risk a Fine

Suppose, a passenger just got banned from Thailand flies back to his Home Country, gets a New passport and boards a plane to Thailand (thinking getting a new passport would go unnoticed). After arriving in Thailand it's the airline's responsibility to transport him back if he gets refused entry, and if the passenger only has a One Way ticket the Airline has to pay for it.

wai.gif

By the way....make sure it is a fully refundable ticket, and use a credit card. You purchase it, and then cancel it after you are already in Thailand. Refunds take a while....

Some tickets say refunds are allowed, but only under emergency situations...etc. You want one with none of these restrictions.

Edited by slipperylobster

Here are the official rules as displayed to the airlines' employees (I cut out what's not relevant for your case):

TIMATIC-3 / 22DEC15 / 1048 UTC
NATIONAL USA (US) /DESTINATION THAILAND (TH)
VISA DESTINATION THAILAND (TH)
...... NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ......
PASSPORT REQUIRED.
- PASSPORTS ISSUED TO NATIONALS OF USA MUST BE VALID FOR THE
PERIOD OF INTENDED STAY.
- FOR HOLDERS OF NORMAL PASSPORTS;
VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR NATIONALS OF USA FOR A MAXIMUM STAY
OF 30 DAYS.
- VISITORS WHO ARE VISA EXEMPT ARE REQUIRED TO HOLD DOCUMENTS
FOR THEIR NEXT DESTINATION.
- VISITORS OVER 12 YEARS OF AGE ARE REQUIRED TO HOLD
SUFFICIENT FUNDS TO COVER THEIR STAY (AT LEAST THB 10,000.-
PER PERSON OR THB 20,000.- PER FAMILY).
WARNING:
- VISITORS WHO ARE VISA EXEMPT BUT DO NOT HOLD RETURN/ONWARD
TICKETS COULD BE REFUSED ENTRY.
And some explanations:
A return ticket is officially needed to board the plane so in case you are refused entry you have a way out of the destination. It doesn't say it must be for only 30 days (or any specific time) as it makes no difference. If you have a ticket to return in 60 days and refused entree, all you have to do is change your return date to be immediately. Not so long ago, before the age of E-Tickets, it was possible and very common to buy an open dated return ticket with validity of up to 1 year, although I don't know of any country that allows a tourist to stay for 1 year (without leaving and reentering or some sort of after-arrival extension of stay).
Basically, ANY country can refuse you entry EVEN IF YOU SATISFY ALL THEIR REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY - it is absolutely 100% up to the immigration officer to decide if he/she lets you in and for how long.
The airline staff might be ignorant of the above rules / logic, but you could argue your case and take it up to a supervisor and even a station manager if needed. I would not buy another ticket for an earlier date nor would I apply for a tourist visa should I be in your place.
As for your question about visa runs - well, that refers to those who stay in Thailand very long periods (permanently?) without a proper permit, so every 30-60 days they have to cross the border and usually return same day or after 1 night out of Thailand in order to get a fresh visa exempt entry permit. If you haven't done it before and you are a genuine tourist, as you say your plan is to actually visit Cambodia for few days and then return for 3-4 weeks to Thailand, you shouldn't have any problems.
  • Like 1

Ms. OP hasn't been on since yesterday. Given the holidays in USA there is really no time for her to obtain a visa prior to 12JAN2016. She maybe has already bought a ticket to Cambodia where she says she would like to go anyway. Refundable tickets are expensive and you have to pay for them in full and then wait maybe several months for the refund.

• Like 1

Try these people at Honorary Thai Consulate in Portland, OR -- maybe give a call first. http://www.thai-or.com

I totally agree. The woman who does the visas is very nice and extremely helpful. I'd give Mary a call at this Consulate. She can tell what you need to do. Be sure to call in the morning, Monday thru Thursday.

Member Question: Are they giving 30 days for a land entry from Cambodia? I could be wrong, but thought it was only 15.

See this thread about needing a return ticket - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

If you do manage to be allowed to board the plane, then you can extend the 30 days to 60 days within Thailand, no need to go out and re-enter.

Has that been changed? Back in 1997 you could only extend the 30 day permission to stay by 7 days. If you had a tourist visa, that could be extended for 30 days. I had to do visa runs that year which is the only reason I know (my wife died and I had to wait a year to get a retirement visa -- long story). I haven't had any need or desire to leave the kingdom since then.

Option 21: Buy an online train ticket on Malaysian State Railways from Hat Yai into Malaysia on www.ktmb.com.my for a minimum purchase of 200 MYR ($5). It is a legit onward ticket (unlike bus tickets that sometimes have a change of vehicle at border), and has worked for me for years.

Option 21: Buy an online train ticket on Malaysian State Railways from Hat Yai into Malaysia on www.ktmb.com.my for a minimum purchase of 200 MYR ($5). It is a legit onward ticket (unlike bus tickets that sometimes have a change of vehicle at border), and has worked for me for years.

200 MYR is not $5 but almost $47 (USD) (rate: 22/12/2015)

I fly from the UK to Thailand, I have a 60 day tourist visa, I have a return flight 95 days after arrival. Therefore I obviously get a visa extension when here.

However, having done this before etc, I would just comment that at no time has any airline company asked if I have a visa for Thisland etc, and no one at any airport, either UK, Holland, France or Dubai ever checked my passport for a visa etc.

yet many people on here comment that you will be stopped at departing airports if you do not have a correct visa etc.

Ms. OP hasn't been on since yesterday. Given the holidays in USA there is really no time for her to obtain a visa prior to 12JAN2016. She maybe has already bought a ticket to Cambodia where she says she would like to go anyway. Refundable tickets are expensive and you have to pay for them in full and then wait maybe several months for the refund.

So I will be purchasing a ticket to go to Cambodia. They are a bit pricey, but I really was planning on going there. I would honestly prefer to just take the bus, however I seem to recall (don't know where and I could be wrong) that they weren't doing 30 day extensions via land border crossing between Cambodia and Thailand. Again, I don't know where I got this, probably Facebook group. I will be calling the number in Portland in a little while to get better information. Thanks for all your replies. I will follow up and let you all know what my experience is -- either way. Hopefully all will be well.

There is no Thai consulate within 500 miles of me. How do I get a Visa? Can I do this online?

I doubt that is a problem, Fedex what is required to Thai consulate and they can do the same or you can do 1 trip to collect documentation in the event of a signature being required. It'll work out cheaper and safer in the long run. Good luck

I have had several flights over past 2 years, from LAX to Bangkok, on China Southern Airlines, with return flights exceeding 30 days, that were made without a visa, I usually get a 30 day on arrival stamp, then get 60 day extension for marriage. There never has been a problem at check-in. I came back in July for 9 month stay, to return next April and during this time I have obtained a multi entry O visa, based on marriage. At the time of my booking, the airline did not list any return flights scheduled past Feb 1. So I booked a Dec 29 return flight, the cost being cheaper. I have since cancelled that return flight and purchased an April return flight. I had no visa this trip, intending to enter on 30 day stamp on arrival. There was no concern from check-in agent, for not having a visa this trip. If by chance your check-in agent were to ask "why you do not have a visa", just tell them you have a side trip planned, to leave the country, during your stay. Too address your concerns, about getting a visa from Los Angeles, on such short notice. Check their website for holiday closings. I have used them in the past and they have very fast service, as long as you follow the website instructions and provide the correct forms, pictures and money order. I live in Missouri and they processed mine and returned by mail, in less than 8 days from my mailing. Being you live in San Francisco you probably can get mail overnight from LA.

Have made over 30 trips to Thailand over the years flying from Minneapolis and LA.

A couple of the trips I used a tourist visa but most of the time I entered on a 30 day visa exempt.

Have always spent 6 weeks to 5 months in Thailand.

Up until last year I use visa runs to Singapore for another 30 days.

Now I have a one year retirement extension.

Not once in 30 years have I ever been asked by the airlines for a flight

out of Thailand. Always had a round trip ticket.

Perhaps times have changed now.?

PS. Wondering if calling the airline would give any answers.

Well as long as we're re-counting personal experiences: I was once almost denied 2004 boarding United Airlines at Orlando, FL for not having a 30-day exit ticket even though I had a Tourist Visa. I protested. The agent was adamant. That's what it says on her screen. I said that is for visa-exempt entry not Tourist Visa. Had to speak to a Supervisor in Chicago. As it was 5 AM that was not quick. I was not happy. Even though I was plenty early I said if you keep this up I'm going to miss my flight and 2 further connections. Finally the agent said: You are agitated and if you remain agitated I will call security. I said: Well I wasn't agitated when I got here!

BTW I have never traveled again to Thailand without a Non-Imm 'B' Visa or extension. Friends of mine have been forced to buy a 30 day exit ticket at the airport. YMMV *

Regardless of the experiences noted here about checking in on a flight from USA to Thailand on a Visa exempt entry without 30 day onward travel, I would not want to be the one to advise someone not to worry about it and just show up without such travel documentation and then have that person denied boarding.

* Your Mileage May Vary

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Oops. It's 20 Ringgit, about $4.7. A $47 dollar ticket wouldn't be exactly throwaway, would it...

Oops. It's 20 Ringgit, about $4.7. A $47 dollar ticket wouldn't be exactly throwaway, would it...

I have no idea what train tickets in M'sia costs. And for $47 isn't throwaway, I have to say I have thrown away a lot more then that on Plane Tickets and Bus Tickets.whistling.gif

Thank you for all the responses. I can't believe I overlooked this. I thought things would be good because I have a return flight booked, didn't occur to me I would have issues LEAVING the country. Duh.

I will make some phone calls tomorrow. Of course today is Sunday, right? I am dubious about mailing off my passport and taking my chances that way. I will call the airline, and look into my other options.

When I was living in the USA I mailed my passport several times for get a Visa for Thailand and for other countries too. I also would send my old passport via

USPS for renewal, so I would not worry about sending via US post.

However When I sent my passport to the Thai consultant in Miami I would go to Fed ex and have it sent via them and prepay for return postage via Fed-ex which was sent in with my passport. Typically it would take 3 days to get my passport sent out and returned.

I'll be throwing away a $100 ticket next week. 47 bucks is about the cheapest ticket to getting on an intl transport without finding a sales promo deal.

Edited by Rob13

Thank you for all the responses. I can't believe I overlooked this. I thought things would be good because I have a return flight booked, didn't occur to me I would have issues LEAVING the country. Duh.

I will make some phone calls tomorrow. Of course today is Sunday, right? I am dubious about mailing off my passport and taking my chances that way. I will call the airline, and look into my other options.

When I was living in the USA I mailed my passport several times for get a Visa for Thailand and for other countries too. I also would send my old passport via

USPS for renewal, so I would not worry about sending via US post.

However When I sent my passport to the Thai consultant in Miami I would go to Fed ex and have it sent via them and prepay for return postage via Fed-ex which was sent in with my passport. Typically it would take 3 days to get my passport sent out and returned.

I think Ms.OP's major concern was mailing her passport during the holidays when many if not all Thai embassies/consulates/honorary consulates will be officially closed for a week+ and will have a backlog following their eventual re-opening.

BTW for airport check-in in USA with 30 day exit required, a train ticket out don't cut it.

Edited by JLCrab

I've always saved my old itinerary, just change the date and flight number myself, never had a problem with check-in agents who wants to see them.

Of course its wise to use a itinerary different from the current airline you are flying so they don't check to see if your ticket is valid or not.