Friend reports CM Imm Now Wants 800K ฿ to age 6 months. Anyone else?

NancyL

Rule? Who can really say? I have no idea of ANY of the written 'rules' that may apply, but do realize that I'll have to comply with ANY 'request' made by an Immigration Officer if I want to remain in the Kingdom, regardless of its validity.

No, you only need comply with the instructions issued by the immigration boss in Bangkok.

Any 'funny' requests made by locals can easily be appealed.

No need to bend over ..... EVER.

So so right. whistling.gif It is all up to the big boss in Bkk. There has never been a Thai policeman who has not followed the orders of the big boss in Bkk. Nor has there ever been one who did not follow all the written rules issued by the big boss. Nor has there ever been a citizen abused by such or other behavior.

Or has there?

Is it really reasonable to expect protection from police abuse or "mistakes" anywhere because of the instructions of the big boss? Where?

Did somebody forget that the Immigration Officers are police?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather immaterial how Japanese Immig handles the aliens. Japan is well noted for its xenophobia, so the vast majority of us are not welcome there, at all.

But how Thai Immig handles the farang is contingent on the Thai sense of efficiency, or lack of it. IMO, after a few years here, i find the Thais, from top to bottom, are content with massive wastes of time, energy and often money. This kind of waste does create many jobs, esp those at the low end.

Since the work force is employed, the people are happy. 'Nuff said.

Interesting as to what FG stated about the Japanese immigration system. It's a system that I'd like. No nonsense and everyone dancing to same tune. Or is that too organised for some people?

As one post said, if things become too stupid/ridiculous at CM immigration then I'd likely try other areas/provinces.

As for the authorities following what their bosses say from Bangkok.... its a case of pick and choose from what I've observed. On the outer ring road yesterday was an 'Unauthorised' checkpoint. No signage as directed by Bangkok and obviously after the infamous 'tea money'. Only motorcycles were being stopped, as I was on the outside lane on my bike there was no way I was gonna stop for this 'highway robbery'

But still I choose to live here.....maybe psychiatrist time for me!

I suspect this is about a demand to see six months back of records of the 800K baht qualifying account rather than any kind of REAL change in the MONEY SEASONING aspect of the requirement. Which is two months for the first retirement extension and three months for all subsequent ones. I know this is localized report but I find it extremely hard to believe there is a blanket change of these money seasoning requirements even at one office.

In other words, this could be another case of rumor building based on communication/translation issues. For example an applicant shows copies of four months of records for the three month season and the officer mutters something about needing SIX months, I reckon generally that would mean he wants to see SIX months of copies of passbook, and NOT six months of proven seasoning. You hear the same type of story from 2 or 3 people and then the rumor gains credibility.

Edited by Jingthing

Rather immaterial how Japanese Immig handles the aliens. Japan is well noted for its xenophobia, so the vast majority of us are not welcome there, at all.

But how Thai Immig handles the farang is contingent on the Thai sense of efficiency, or lack of it. IMO, after a few years here, i find the Thais, from top to bottom, are content with massive wastes of time, energy and often money. This kind of waste does create many jobs, esp those at the low end.

Since the work force is employed, the people are happy. 'Nuff said.

Not immaterial at all... It is precisely how Thai Immigration has been handling visa extensions for the Japanese Long Stay Club for quite some time, and included the Chiang Mai Expats Club a month or so ago... Instead of people going to Immigration, some Immigration police came to the Japanese Long Stay Club. It appears that they realize that it is a much more efficient method, and would be happy to continue of there were enough people involved to make it work. Unfortunately, many Japanese retirees have left Thailand recently, and so not enough remaining in the club needing visa service on a regular basis.

My experience with reports like this one is: there's almost always some underlying reason immigration having a problem with seasoning (3 months). A time account that matured and was renewed under a new account number, a short time dip below the 800k during the seasoning period, etc etc. If someone can produce a copy of the immigration letter stating '6 months', I'll be a believer.

No offense to the op.....as she's reporting second hand info.

Yes, I know it's second hand, but I'm going to look at the passbooks in question very soon. This is a good friend.

I suspect they may have thought that he couldn't come up with earlier passbooks. Also, may have been an element of harassment because of his ethnic background. He definitely says he was shown a letter, but was too intimidated to ask to keep a copy.

So now you will try to verify the information which is good. It might have been better to do that before starting all this.

And now you add intimidation and possible harassment to the pot. What is next?

Being shown a letter is meaningless, even if he read it twice being intimidated would limit comprehension.

So it may be all about nothing except an intimidated person being recognized as acting in an unusual manner and drawing extra attention, very common police behavior.

Still over obsessed with Immigration it seems. Wonderful drama, with weekly episodes.

OK, OK, fair enough. But, before I do a passbook check, I must say I believe the guy about his money being appropriately "seasoned". That's why I thought the next step would be to confirm with other CM Imm. customers on Thai Visa before I do something really alarming like report this "development" to the consulates.

Unfortunately, I can't go out to CM Imm. myself to observe anymore, so I have to rely on second-hand information. As this person said "unpaid reporters". So shot me, why don't you?. It's not like I'm getting paid to do this, either, you know. Submitting a question on ThaiVisa is hardly pulling a five-alarm five.

Not not all my friends are grandmotherly W.A.S.P.s. Some are expat males who look somewhat questionable. You know, your average Chiang Mai retiree. They may encounter more hassle at CM Imm. than they deserve.

Wasn't the rule, copies of 6 months of transactions, from the bankbook? I know some are able to use the same book for 5 years or so.

As far as beating immigration stories to death....well the website is actually called "Thai Visa," and I would rather find information out by recent anecdotes, than at 08:30, after being up for 5.5 hour, mostly sitting in line. The guy in front of me had no proof of address, simply because they hadn't asked him for it in three years...famous last words.....he was on his third attempt, and he didn't need it. this time, but if you had read the reports here, you would have had something to prove your address. Just like, when they were asking for it in the 90 day report line in July, if I hadn't brought my Yellow Book to take care of banking at Airport Plaza, I would have been among the multitudes of people being turned away.

But, like you I have an 800,000 baht bank account that I haven't touched for years.

So you are losing interest for sure if you are doing that.

Put the money in a fixed term account and roll it over (at a lesser interest rate, as has been the case year-on-year for the past three years, anyway) after each term. Do it on the day it comes due and you will always be good.

The fact is that you are supposed to show that you have sufficient money in Thailand to live without working. It is a bit strange they want to see evidence of 800K either three months or six months before renewal since, in theory, one ought to show the 800K on the first day of extension, and then spend it to live here until just before the next extension, when the person then has next year's funds sent to Thailand.

As it is now, you have to show that you have more money than 800K to live on for the year.

I don't know if this "new" requirement is nationwide or only in Chiang Mai, but if only here, it might be some reaction to pressure and criticism about the way they conduct business at immigration.

On the other hand, perhaps the powers that be want retirees to be of a richer cut. If you don't have the wherewithal to keep US$22,000 locked into an account for six months (inferring that you are using other money to live), then you aren't well-heeled enough to live here full time.

I suspect this is about a demand to see six months back of records of the 800K baht qualifying account rather than any kind of REAL change in the MONEY SEASONING aspect of the requirement. Which is two months for the first retirement extension and three months for all subsequent ones. I know this is localized report but I find it extremely hard to believe there is a blanket change of these money seasoning requirements even at one office.

In other words, this could be another case of rumor building based on communication/translation issues. For example an applicant shows copies of four months of records for the three month season and the officer mutters something about needing SIX months, I reckon generally that would mean he wants to see SIX months of copies of passbook, and NOT six months of proven seasoning. You hear the same type of story from 2 or 3 people and then the rumor gains credibility.

That exactly what is required at Kap Choeng Immigration for over a year and if your using the embassy affidavit letter for income they require you to still show a bank account with monthly movements. Stay tune Chiang Mai times are and have changed.

I don't think they are doing it for the Japanese, either, anymore. A Japanese guy was in line with me last week, he had been unsuccessful the previous day, showing up at 6am. 3:50am worked for him, the following day.

True. But not because they won't. But rather, as I stated right in this same post, "many Japanese retirees have left Thailand recently, and so not enough remaining in the club needing visa service on a regular basis" to make it worthwhile financially for Immigration people to come on their own time to service the club's needs. If there are only one or two Japanese club members needing renewal service each month, it's not financially worth the time nor is it worth the effort for people to give up their days off to work for the club.

That exactly what is required at Kap Choeng Immigration for over a year and if your using the embassy affidavit letter for income they require you to still show a bank account with monthly movements. Stay tune Chiang Mai times are and have changed.

Kap Choeng a bell-ringer for immigration? Excuse my doubts.

Kap Choeng a bell-ringer for immigration? Excuse my doubts.

Kap Choeng Immigration (Surin and Buriram Provinces) also put All extensions for retirement on a "Under Consideration" same as a marriage extension with a home visit. KCI is in the forefront of this but its been noticed that its happening in other immigration areas. Keep your eyes open Chiang Mai.

All this talk about different rules, or different ways of interpreting rules, is not only confined to Immigration in Thailand

Just look at how the Embassy in Washington DC has certain requirements that the Consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles do not and vice versa

Even reading stories from members located in the UK they deal with the same problem, the rules in London are different than at the Consulates

So you can take a Thai bureaucrat out of Thailand but you can't take the bureaucracy out of a Thai

Soon I suspect the need for proof with the income affidavit . Its coming .. Already need for marriage ext.

I just did one 2 months ago.. no proof of income (I have no income)..

Money in bank.. no problem.

They are looking for money that is being brought unto Thailand to your bank account. What happen two months back is ancient history.

So your saying since late october they have introduced a rule which says you cannot get a marriage extension applied for with seasoned money and must have an income (which I dont) ??

I would expect that to have been larger news than buried in this thread.

"Seasoned money." I like that. Sauteed and simmered in the banking system....

I am not sure what allegedly is happening in Surin has to do with Chiang Mai. In fact, it could be that situation is particular only to Surin.

My understanding is that the time of deposit for the 800K (two months for the first extension and three months for subsequent ones) is to discourage people who do not have the finances to legitimately stay in Thailand long term from simply borrowing money immediately before the extension process and then repaying the loan right after the extension is granted.

So your saying since late october they have introduced a rule which says you cannot get a marriage extension applied for with seasoned money and must have an income (which I dont) ??

Not income but must show movement of moneys above the required amount. The OP's Post leaves no-doubt that is what is being required at Chiang Mai for the person in question. This requirement is being used in other locations. Stay tuned Chiang Mai.

Edited by khwaibah

They need to see pass books to show that money goes into account and also comes out. They need to know you have a cash flow, not just the 800k this to show you are not working here but living on income from abroad. Your friend should have gotten a letter from any previous bank or show his pass books to comply with the rules.

There has never been any such requirement,

They have required mine at C M office at every one year extension.Most recent pass book and if not showing many deposits then the previous one as well. Plus letter from bank.

Not income but must show movement of moneys above the required amount. The OP's Post leaves no-doubt that is what is being required at Chiang Mai for the person in question. This requirement is being used in other locations. Stay tuned Chiang Mai.

That isnt what he said or what I questioned (tho I never touch my extension money either which sites in a dedicated unused account, never been a problem).

What I questioned was this

Soon I suspect the need for proof with the income affidavit . Its coming .. Already need for marriage ext.

I dont have an income affidavit.. I wont have an income affidavit.. I dont have any income I can use..

This wasnt needed for a marriage ext in Oct.. Can anyone report it is now needed ??

That isnt what he said or what I questioned (tho I never touch my extension money either which sites in a dedicated unused account, never been a problem).

What I questioned was this

I dont have an income affidavit.. I wont have an income affidavit.. I dont have any income I can use..

This wasnt needed for a marriage ext in Oct.. Can anyone report it is now needed ??

Your going to have to wait and see. This a fluid situation in some offices. It can be hit and miss where in other office its 100%.

All this talk about different rules, or different ways of interpreting rules, is not only confined to Immigration in Thailand

Just look at how the Embassy in Washington DC has certain requirements that the Consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles do not and vice versa

Even reading stories from members located in the UK they deal with the same problem, the rules in London are different than at the Consulates

So you can take a Thai bureaucrat out of Thailand but you can't take the bureaucracy out of a Thai

Good one but a very very narrow point of view.

World wide you can not take the bureaucrat out of the Government.