Foreigners detained as Tourist Police lead South Pattaya crime suppression raid

webfact

Foreigners detained as Tourist Police lead South Pattaya crime suppression raid

bar-2-1.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- The Tourist Police led an operation, involving over 100 Pattaya Police and Tourist Police Officers in the early hours of Tuesday in the South Pattaya entertainment zone.

The raid mostly concentrated on the Walking Street area and saw the officers conduct raids on GoGo Bars and Discotheques. Passports of foreigners were checked as were the credentials of Thai workers in all of the venues they visited.

A group of foreign nationals were detained and one of them was found to possess an expired visa in his passport and will be transferred to Immigration Police for deportation.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220053/foreigners-detained-as-tourist-police-lead-south-pattaya-crime-suppression-raid/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-12-22

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I am wrong. So far I was under the impression, that the "Tourist-Police" is here to assist foreigners in "problem-situations". (Translation service, mediation in conflict situations, etc etc).

And now they are shaking down small-time Farang criminals, instead of getting rid of those Lady Boy Predators on Beach Road (for example). Oh boy !

Cheers.

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal. There are thousands like me here in Thailand. But when did it become a crime to be a tourist?

Getting fined for overstaying in a country. Getting banned from said country for overstaying.... then on the other hand... Mass tourist advertising.

Spending millions of bucks on it.

Come and have fun, have a great stay, spend your hard earned cash on tourist tat, eat wonderful Thai food, drink Thai beer, when you go please come back again soon....Why ?

Why the hell would you ? If you are under threat of being frisked because you went out and had fun in a Disco ? Gatherings of 5 and more is a crime... lets go out on the town with our mates as long as its only you and 3 others...

Thai Visa is full of holier than everyone posters with an overblown attitude that only they belong here and all tourists are unwashed criminal scum. How did they come to be in Thailand in the first place?...I guess, just turned up and had the long stay visa in hand ?

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news. Juntas and elected PM's come and go and nothing gets better. Nothing gets fixed it just gets fixed over, and the foreigner still gets worked over. The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank, how much have you got on you when you turn up..... Has this country never heard of someone using credit cards and pulling out of an ATM to keep going ? They don't ask that in affluent Singapore or Hong Kong, KL airport never asked me if I was skint. Australian customs might be concerned I have a wooden pencil or dirty shoes from a farm but never asked for my bank balance.

I spoke with several tourists the other day in town and on the beach, what stood out? The place is a dirty stinking mess of rubbish. Everywhere. Jomtien and Pattaya beach look like half assed construction sites with mountains of landfill crap dumped all along them. In high season as well...

Now where was that Kuoni Holiday brochure for the Seychelles.......they probably shoot bum tourists on sight there...

I know, in law, I'm supposed to carry my passport everywhere and I freely admit I don't. Just my Thai driving license.

This article appears to imply that everyone they checked had their passport with them - or am I mis-reading it?. If they did have them then they are pretty upright law abiding visitors.

I know, in law, I'm supposed to carry my passport everywhere and I freely admit I don't. Just my Thai driving license.

This article appears to imply that everyone they checked had their passport with them - or am I mis-reading it?. If they did have them then they are pretty upright law abiding visitors.

Strange actions by the police. Not so very long ago, either earlier this year or late last year, the senior police office stated to TV that visitors were not expected, nor required to carry their passports around with them, and long stayers could get by with a drivers' licence. I have a copy of it somewhere, I'll try to dig it out.

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal. There are thousands like me here in Thailand. But when did it become a crime to be a tourist?

Getting fined for overstaying in a country. Getting banned from said country for overstaying.... then on the other hand... Mass tourist advertising.

Come and have fun, have a great stay, spend your hard earned cash on tourist tat, eat wonderful Thai food, drink Thai beer, when you go please come back again soon....Why ?

Why the hell would you ? If you are under threat of being frisked because you went out and had fun in a Disco ? Gatherings of 5 and more is a crime... lets go out on the town with our mates as long as its only you and 3 others...

Thai Visa is full of holier than everyone posters with an overblown attitude that only they belong here and all tourists are unwashed criminal scum. How did they come to be in Thailand in the first place?...I guess, just turned up and had the long stay visa in hand ?

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news. Juntas and elected PM's come and go and nothing gets better. Nothing gets fixed it just gets fixed over, and the foreigner still gets worked over. The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank, how much have you got on you when you turn up..... Has this country never heard of someone using credit cards and pulling out of an ATM to keep going ? They don't ask that in affluent Singapore or Hong Kong, KL airport never asked me if I was skint. Australian customs might be concerned I have a wooden pencil or dirty shoes from a farm but never asked for my bank balance.

I spoke with several tourists the other day in town and on the beach, what stood out? The place is a dirty stinking mess of rubbish. Everywhere. Jomtien and Pattaya beach look like half assed construction sites with mountains of landfill crap dumped all along them. In high season as well...

Now where was that Kuoni Holiday brochure for the Seychelles.......they probably shoot bum tourists on sight there...

of course you're not supposed to overstay. I doubt any country allows that and if they do it's cos they have inefficient policing.

BANGKOK:-- [thaivisa.com] After the confusion surrounding the news that all foreigners in Thailand are required to carry their passport with them at all times, Thaivisa.com has today obtained official clarification on this matter.

Earlier this afternoon, Thaivisa.com spoke to Deputy Commander and Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat, a senior official at Immigration headquarters in Bangkok.

Deputy Commander Voravat wanted to reassure the expat community in Thailand about the current situation.

He told Thaivsia.com that information in an article published by The Nation on 31 July 2014, was incorrect.

Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times.

He said that tourists can of course leave their passports locked in their hotel safe and enjoy their holiday in Thailand without worrying about the need to carry their original passport.

Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification.

However, if Immigration Police suspect an individual to be overstaying in Thailand or being involved in illegal activity, then the individual would be required to produce their original passport promptly.

Deputy Commander Voravat referred to Section 58, which reads as follows:

Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under section 12(1);....under this Act; and has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered the Kingdom in violation of the Act.

Entering or staying in Thailand without holding a valid passport and visa/extension is subject a fine and possible prison sentence.

Still some TV posters call it a "myth" or the like (just seen in another thread).

Most likely a copy of the relevant pages would have sufficed (as I have always with me).

And you can bet that those without any ID/copies had trouble.

Edited by KhunBENQ

He said that tourists can of course leave their passports locked in their hotel safe and enjoy their holiday in Thailand without worrying about the need to carry their original passport.

Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification.

However, if Immigration Police suspect an individual to be overstaying in Thailand or being involved in illegal activity, then the individual would be required to produce their original passport promptly.

Thanks for finding it.

Pattaya is the one place where I usually do carry my passport, specifically for this reason.

Although just supplying your Departure card number should bring up your last entry and visa type in 2 seconds for any immigration officer. So really any photo ID (like driver's license) plus passport copy and departure card copy should be sufficient to clear up any immigration status question.

Still.. it's Pattaya so I err on the side of caution and just bring passport.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Excellent move.

Ive always believed the general doesn't want the sex tourists here because they attract the isaan troublemakers.

Looks like the message is now being enforced….but will it be received?

Any kind of tourist attracts isaan troublemakers.

Or you think Bangkokians will be cleaning hotel rooms and waiting tables?

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal.

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news.

The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank..

Same here, it is becoming increasingly difficult to spend winters in Thailand. This latest rounding up foreigners is just one of the many, many things that make me want to leave.

The new multiple visa is impossible for me to get, since Im not employd. I used double and triple entries, those are history now. There is almost no way for a legitimate tourist to stay here 5-6 months, without bending some of the requirements.

The rounding up tourists on Walking St reminds me of pogroms. Pattaya is dead as it is, yet for some reason the few Europeans that come here are harrassed, and staying here for winter made as difficult as possible. If I had family, or love interest here, I'd jump through the hoops, but I dont have. If this place was totally amazing in some way, I'd be willing to struggle to stay here, but it isn't. There are lots of negatives, and only few positive.

It is difficult to go through the day knowing and seeing how unwanted we are here.

Maybe Im just in bad mood, I witnessed a robbery, a necless snatch last night at 1am on Beach Rd. One of the moto boys called police, no one came, after about 20 minutes the 4 tourists, friends of victim started walking towards soi 9. Depressing.

I think most of you are missing the point.

You have to have a valid visa or extension to stay here.

SIMPLE.

All countries require this.

I can not understand how people let their visa run out.

I have been here seven and a half years.

And gave always made sure my extension is valid.

No pity from me for anyone who is deported.

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal.

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news.

The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank..

Same here, it is becoming increasingly difficult to spend winters in Thailand. This latest rounding up foreigners is just one of the many, many things that make me want to leave.

The new multiple visa is impossible for me to get, since Im not employd. I used double and triple entries, those are history now. There is almost no way for a legitimate tourist to stay here 5-6 months, without bending some of the requirements.

The rounding up tourists on Walking St reminds me of pogroms. Pattaya is dead as it is, yet for some reason the few Europeans that come here are harrassed, and staying here for winter made as difficult as possible. If I had family, or love interest here, I'd jump through the hoops, but I dont have. If this place was totally amazing in some way, I'd be willing to struggle to stay here, but it isn't. There are lots of negatives, and only few positive.

It is difficult to go through the day knowing and seeing how unwanted we are here.

Maybe Im just in bad mood, I witnessed a robbery, a necless snatch last night at 1am on Beach Rd. One of the moto boys called police, no one came, after about 20 minutes the 4 tourists, friends of victim started walking towards soi 9. Depressing.

I think it is about time you left Thailand.

If you stay you will become more depressed.

So the Yes/No argument over whether one needs to carry their passport can be resurrected now.

This is tiresome, we had the road checks last week where tourists were subjected to fines for not having the correct documents (IDP also required, where an English language language licence previously sufficed). They should have one of those thermometer collection indicators in soi 9 like you see for the church roof fund !

Pattaya is the one place where I usually do carry my passport, specifically for this reason.

Although just supplying your Departure card number should bring up your last entry and visa type in 2 seconds for any immigration officer. So really any photo ID (like driver's license) plus passport copy and departure card copy should be sufficient to clear up any immigration status question.

Still.. it's Pattaya so I err on the side of caution and just bring passport.

I think the problem is, for them to verify this, you're going to be hauled into the police station. Perhaps put in jail, until they can figure this out...or extract money from you to leave! LOL

I like the idea of a pic on my phone...and I've always got that laminated copy with me. Always. When away from home and traveling around the Kingdom, I've always got my passport.

Correct me if I am wrong. So far I was under the impression, that the "Tourist-Police" is here to assist foreigners in "problem-situations". (Translation service, mediation in conflict situations, etc etc).

And now they are shaking down small-time Farang criminals, instead of getting rid of those Lady Boy Predators on Beach Road (for example). Oh boy !

Cheers.

Where did it say anything about the Tourist Police "shaking down" anyone. I read that a foreigner in Thailand illegally was arrested and sent for deportation. But your post did let you express your transfobia, which I suspect was it's real intent.

Strange actions by the police. Not so very long ago, either earlier this year or late last year, the senior police office stated to TV that visitors were not expected, nor required to carry their passports around with them, and long stayers could get by with a drivers' licence. I have a copy of it somewhere, I'll try to dig it out.

I also recall this

I also recall this

It's being reported in the Bangkok Post also. With a comment that according to Thai law, you need to have your passport on you at all times. Confusing, eh?

Oh brother.