Beer Laos in Pattaya - Any sightings?

slafriphos

Both sorts are to be found in any 7/11 as far as I know.

Yes, I see it in most 7-11's now.

IMHO it is very ordinary - no better or worse than the local beers, just a bit more expensive.

The dark beer is 6.5% alcohol which is stronger than any Thai beers in 7-11.

I used to like Beer Chang when it was 6.1% but they've changed the recipe so you must buy more, which isn't good for my girlish figure.... ;)

Any supermarket should stock them . Overrated beer imo.

I agree and I also disagree. For me it's a good and affordable beer, but I would rather drink the Belgian or the German beers around but at 1xx (or more) THB per bottle that's out of the question on a daily basis when you drink a couple of them.

Ps: I only like Beer Lao Dark, the "light" one is not so good IMO, I still have a couple of those at home and let my BIL drink them when he comes around. whistling.gif

Edit: And Beer Lao, is (again) IMO a lot better then Leo or Chang

Edited by MJCM

Heineken is better and cheaper.

I come from the Country where they make it and I absolutely don't like the "export" stuff they make. Too sweet IMO. If you tried the original then you know what I mean wai.gif

I guess you never crossed the border when you were still living at home biggrin.png

fu9auo.jpg

If you want to stock your fridge, larger Makros sell it by the 24 small bottle case, unless (occasionally) out of stock. Prices per case - regular (ThB 1,080) and dark (ThB 1,140).

Tend to partly agree with another poster - it's either not as good as it used to be or not as good as when in Laos, haven't quite defined which (or both). Sufficiently different though ... just, to justify keeping it in the fridge as an upgrade to Leo (regular), different taste (dark) and a noticeable upgrade to all the other Thai $hitty industrial alcohol and Heineken (fer Chris'sake!).

Edited by SantiSuk

If you want to stock your fridge, larger Makros sell it by the 24 small bottle case, unless (occasionally) out of stock. Prices per case - regular (ThB 1,080) and dark (ThB 1,140).

Tend to partly agree with another poster - it's either not as good as it used to be or not as good as when in Laos, haven't quite defined which (or both). Sufficiently different though ... just, to justify keeping it in the fridge as an upgrade to Leo (regular), different taste (dark) and a noticeable upgrade to all the other Thai $hitty industrial alcohol and Heineken (fer Chris'sake!).

The grass is always greener at the other side. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Heineken is better and cheaper.

I come from the Country where they make it and I absolutely don't like the "export" stuff they make. Too sweet IMO. If you tried the original then you know what I mean wai.gif

Heineken is like having sex on the bank of a river. ........ f&£$ing close to water!!

Well I agree Heineken is not the best beer but not many choices around here for under 40 baht .

Personally I prefer Well's import beer as my Christmas beer. 148 baht per bottle.

I stocked up 15 bottles of Well's Waggle Dance, beer brewed with real honey . It's an amazing beer if you never tried it.

Can be found at Friendship and Villa Market or just order it from wishbeer.com.

If you want something close to a real beer from the 7-11 coolers, try the Swedish import Pistonhead Kustom Lager. A black can. You will be surprised at the flavour. Only 44 baht. Some 7-11s in Bangkok sell it at 42 baht. I keep forgetting to buy it in Pattaya. It seems like it's only available through 7-11. If it ever shows up in the bars, it will be a big hit.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

If you want something close to a real beer from the 7-11 coolers, try the Swedish import Pistonhead Kustom Lager. A black can. You will be surprised at the flavour. Only 44 baht. Some 7-11s in Bangkok sell it at 42 baht. I keep forgetting to buy it in Pattaya. It seems like it's only available through 7-11. If it ever shows up in the bars, it will be a big hit.

I tried Piston Head , they sell them at Big C also. Did not like the tast , so still Heineken for me if I want a cheap beer.

Why would the export be a different recipe than the local product beer lao? Also I have noticed with other products that often the best quality is used for export while the lesser is sold locally, this must be an exception, or they actually are the same, or they export a lower, cheaper product to Thailand due to it being a third world S.E.A. country? I am also thinking those who buy beer lao in Thailand are not Thais but foreigners but can not be sure about that as well.

Perhaps the brewing process for export to Thailand is overseen by the Thai importer. Then it all makes sense. Whoever commented on the quality of most if not all Thai beers was right on the money, there is something awful about any Thai beer or beer brewed here, perhaps they are tainted, as they taste 'industrial' Leo being the most tolerable for some reason. (Beer lao actually started me drinking again. blink.png ) Kraft beers and imports are simply too expensive while beer Lao is worth paying a little more for. I thank you and i curse you beer lao.