Dying Pakistani student's family denied Australia visa

webfact

Dying Pakistani student's family denied Australia visa

LONDON: -- Australian authorities have refused to grant a visa to the family of a Pakistani student dying of skin cancer.

Hassan Asif, 25, is in the final stages of his life and unable to fly home to Pakistan because he is too sick.

Mr Asif came to Australia to study architecture, but was diagnosed with terminal skin cancer in July.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35165531

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-23

This story does not pass the sniff test. The BBC might be trying to claim there were no flights from Oz to Pakistan since July, but I can assure everybody there was. So why didn't the lad go home to see his family - considering there was no hope in treating his cancer? He didn't expect Australian immigration rules could apply to him and his family??

No sympathy for those trying to use our equal and democratic system against us.

This story does not pass the sniff test. The BBC might be trying to claim there were no flights from Oz to Pakistan since July, but I can assure everybody there was. So why didn't the lad go home to see his family - considering there was no hope in treating his cancer? He didn't expect Australian immigration rules could apply to him and his family??

No sympathy for those trying to use our equal and democratic system against us.

The guy is in Oz on a student visa to study architecture at university. The airlines have refused to carry the student due to his illness. His treating doctors anticipate he will die within a month. His mother & brother have not applied for migration to Oz, only that they have the opportunity to be with him prior to his death as he had no family in Oz. Immigration bureaucrats have refused to review the decision not to grant visitor visas based upon the original application for his Mother & brother, although Immi advised they can re-apply. Given the very short time of life expectancy an appeal has been lodged directly with the Immigration Minister to expedite a decision.

Given your support for far right ideology I find it peculiar you talk to equality and democracy.

Edited by simple1

Dying Pakistani student Hassan Asif denied final visit from family by immigration department
Kate Aubusson

SYDNEY: -- A terminally ill student who wanted to see his family one last time has had his request rejected by Australia's immigration department.

Hassan Asif, 25, moved to Melbourne from Pakistan in 2014 on a student visa before being diagnosed with advanced skin cancer in April, according to the ABC.

His end-of-life carers told the university undergraduate in November that he had entered the terminal phase of his cancer and had just weeks to live.

Mr Asif appealed to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to allow his mother and brother to travel to Australia and be by his side in his final days.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/national/dying-pakistani-student-denied-final-visit-from-family-by-immigration-department-20151222-gltoso.html

smh.jpg
-- Sydney Morning Herald 2015-12-23

Australia is plenty companionate when it comes to helping people on the fringes of life,

and sometimes too willing to come to the rescue and extend a helping hands...

so if his Visa was rejected, I'm sure they had a good reason for it, and just because

he was dying that doesn't make it ok for people not to adhere to the immigration rules

of the Australian government...

Australia is plenty companionate when it comes to helping people on the fringes of life,

so if his Visa was rejected, I'm sure they had a good reason for it, and just because

he was dying that doesn't make it ok for people not to adhere to the immigration rules

The student's visa was not rejected.

Visas for the family of a dying Pakistani student in Australia have been approved.

Hassan Asif, a 25-year-old Pakistani man who came to Australia on a student visa, has been told he has just weeks to live.

His mother and brother were initially refused visas to visit him.

"I'd asked the post in Islamabad to have a look at the case, to ask for additional information. That's happened and the visas have been approved," Immigration Minister Peter Dutton told Sky News on Wednesday, less than half an hour after facing the media on the matter.

"I'm hopeful that they can arrive in Australia soon and spend some time with their terminally ill son and brother.

"I think that's what most Australians would expect."

Earlier Mr Dutton said it was the "right decision" to initially refuse the visas based on the information that was provided.

"I think with further information and a subsequent application I think (it) can be dealt with fairly quickly," he told reporters in Brisbane.

He said the "decision-maker" had to weigh up whether or not somebody coming to Australia was likely to make a claim for protection or stay at a cost to the taxpayer.

Labor had called on Mr Dutton to overturn the visa decision, with immigration spokesman Richard Marles describing it as "disgraceful and heartless".

© AAP 2015

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/12/23/12/30/dutton-told-to-explain-visa-decision#vOeO18Kc117b88Vc.99

... just because he was dying ... ?

Have you got no feelings whatsoever inside you? I feel so sorry for you. If not even imminent death is ok for an exception, what is?

Let's hope you will never personally have to face a problem like this.

When it comes to heartlessness there is nothing in the world to compare to the Australian bureaucrat.

Petty power brokers and bludgers in my opinion.

I would rather go back to Nam than work in the bloodbath that is the Australian public service.

He would have had the oportunity to return 6 months ago when he was diagnosed. There would have been no problem with the airline then. Personally I do not like the original decision but as it was for the reason that many people from that country and area claim political asylum when they arive I understand it. Their presance will not save his life or alter the course of his illness.

He has had first class medical care throughout his illness without cost as he should.

Why wasn't he sent back to Pakistan in July?

For international university students in Australia it is a mandatory condition for granting of a visa to have private medical cover - no expense to the taxpayer (government) for treatment.

For international university students in Australia it is a mandatory condition for granting of a visa to have private medical cover - no expense to the taxpayer (government) for treatment.

Correct

My nephew is on a student visa since 3 years and he had to have private medical cover ( which is not cheap )

even so he is a enrolled nurse now he still needs his private cover

So I ask again, skin cancer isn't that debilitating a disease, at least in it's early stages, and it isnt contagious, so why was he not sent back home in July to be with his family when he received his terminal diagnosis?

Interesting that the backlash against the government was so great that the Government had to make the right decision and grant the visas, Pity Dutton didn't have the humanity in him to do it in the first place, I wonder if it was his family, would the same conditions apply?

So I ask again, skin cancer isn't that debilitating a disease, at least in it's early stages, and it isnt contagious, so why was he not sent back home in July to be with his family when he received his terminal diagnosis?

Very likely, Pakistan does not have the same level of treatment as Australia for skin cancer (Australians have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world). Most countries would not force someone under medical care to return to their home country. At the time he was diagnosed, it may not have been considered terminal.

We have had a number of employees who have had to undergo medical treatment here and even the Thai gov't is quite compassionate in allowing them to remain.

wow, so caring, so humane.