Thai govt reaffirms will hand back power in 2017, entering second phase of reforms

webfact

Thai junta reaffirms will hand back power in 2017, entering second phase of reforms
BY AMY SAWITTA LEFEVRE AND PANARAT THEPGUMPANAT

BANGKOK: -- Thai prime minister and junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha gave a sweeping year-end speech on Wednesday in which he reiterated that the junta will hand back power in 2017 and that it was entering "phase two" of its reform plan.

The junta, or National Council for Peace and Order, seized control in May 2014 and overthrew an elected government, putting an end to protests in Bangkok led by the middle classes and elites who wanted to get rid of the civilian government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Since then, it has busied itself with drafting a new constitution and reforms which critics say are designed to limit the powers of political parties and neutralize those seen as loyal to controversial former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck's brother who was ousted in 2006.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics-idUSKBN0U60AR20151223

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-12-23

does anyone know at this point in time whether the outcome will result in anything like true democracy?

in other words what about people (both politicians and the electorate)who are neither loyal to controversial former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or to interests of the so-called Bangkok elite?Will they have any chance under the new system?

Edited by Asiantravel

Handing back power in 2017. My ass is still pointing South so that aint happening. Stalling and delaying are the tactics of the day. Just buying another two years in which time events will ensure (In their logic) that they will be needed to steady the ship for a further ? years (pick a number). When Suthep cried for a few good men to run the country ( not Nicholson and Cruise) the incumbents are the ones he had in mind (after reported scheming to cause unrest to facilitate a coup).

Civil unrest is looking more and more likely as people are now awakening to the fact, the khaki boys are going nowhere.

Handing back power in 2017. My ass is still pointing South so that aint happening. Stalling and delaying are the tactics of the day. Just buying another two years in which time events will ensure (In their logic) that they will be needed to steady the ship for a further ? years (pick a number). When Suthep cried for a few good men to run the country ( not Nicholson and Cruise) the incumbents are the ones he had in mind (after reported scheming to cause unrest to facilitate a coup).

Civil unrest is looking more and more likely as people are now awakening to the fact, the khaki boys are going nowhere.

I guess you're not British Australian, American etc etc by your grammatical errors. Your viewpoint is pure junta and Bangkok elite. Pray be so kind as to tell everyone what rank you hold in either the Thai military or Civil Service. It's not that I disagree totally with what you said, it's just that I'd be interested to have an indication of how you came to formulate such a radical viewpoint.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post