• SoiBiker
    • Transam
    • villagefarang

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think will be quite interesting is what will happen to the attitude, ego, and outward expression of whoever wins this.

Last year's winner, Jingthing, remains as modest as ever

He is refusing to give up his diamond tiara to this year's winner, which is why the winner has to come up with their own crown. He looks especially fetching wearing it on the Pattaya baht buses post-68373-0-89815500-1451108993_thumb.j

^You aint won the POTY yet either:rolleyes:

Just saying IF I win, I can truthfully promise not to install any more mirrors in the condo.

Is this the kind of wit, wisdom and insight we hope for from the POTY?

Lord help us.

Do existential Nihilists have a Lord?

Oh... did u mean the POTY Lord?

Just saying IF I win, I can truthfully promise not to install any more mirrors in the condo.

Lord help us.

Sometimes my vocabulary contains echoes of my Church of England upbringing.

What I think will be quite interesting is what will happen to the attitude, ego, and outward expression of whoever wins this.

Last year's winner, Jingthing, remains as modest as ever

Self deprecation is magic and also so easy to do it when it reflects reality.

Lord help us.

That would be Jingy, of course.

If you recall, at one point in the pre-nominations-early discussion phase of this contest -- about six months ago, as I recall, JT came out and gave me his endorsement. But then some of the other candidates cried foul, saying it wasn't fair for the POTY Poll OverLord to have a favorite. I don't know when fairness ever had anything to do with this contest. I hope he reconsiders and lets the world know who he favors.

A few brief questions..

Hey Trans. If a Justin Bieber fan is called a Belieber, is a Trans fan called a Transceiver?

SoiBiker. If you peg a playing card to your bike wheel so that it gets caught by the spokes, does it really sound like a motorbike?

And for:

CrazyChef. What are the advantages of owning a stainless-steel duck-press?

VillageFarang. Do you mind being called a farang?

Nancy. Are there deviations from the predictions of general relativity at very small or very large scales or in other extreme circumstances that flow from a quantum gravity theory?

That would be Jingy, of course.

If you recall, at one point in the pre-nominations-early discussion phase of this contest -- about six months ago, as I recall, JT came out and gave me his endorsement. But then some of the other candidates cried foul, saying it wasn't fair for the POTY Poll OverLord to have a favorite. I don't know when fairness ever had anything to do with this contest. I hope he reconsiders and lets the world know who he favors.

I have no recollection. I plead the fifth.

I'm happy to consider answering any questions members might have for me.

Favourite soi or circuit to ride?

The one that leads to wherever I want to go. My bike is a mode of transport, not a toy, and Bangkok is hardly a Mecca of recreational cycling in any case.

And for:

Nancy. Are there deviations from the predictions of general relativity at very small or very large scales or in other extreme circumstances that flow from a quantum gravity theory?

cheesy.gif

And for:

Sipi, thank you for giving me an easy question.

There are some problems in physics which are either fundamental theoretical problems or theoretical ideas which lack experimental evidence and are in search of one, or both as most of them are. It is thought that the full theory of quantum gravity should be capable of answering most of those problems, but it remains to be proven.

Can quantum mechanics and general relativity be realized as a fully consistent theory (perhaps as a quantum field theory)? Is spacetime fundamentally continuous or discrete? Would a consistent theory involve a force mediated by a hypothetical graviton, or be a product of a discrete structure of spacetime itself (as in loop quantum gravity)? Are there deviations from the predictions of general relativity at very small or very large scales or in other extreme circumstances that flow from a quantum gravity theory?

The theory of LQG is one possible solution to the problem of quantum gravity, as is string . There are substantial differences however. For example, string theory also addresses unification, the understanding of all known forces and particles as manifestations of a single entity, by postulating extra dimensions and so-far unobserved additional particles and symmetries. Contrary to this, LQG is based only on quantum theory and general relativity and its scope is limited to understanding the quantum aspects of the gravitational interaction. On the other hand, the consequences of LQG are radical, because they fundamentally change the nature of space and time and provide a tentative but detailed physical and mathematical picture of quantum spacetime.

Presently, no semiclassical limit recovering general relativity has been shown to exist. This means it remains unproven that LQG's description of spacetime at the planck scale has the right continuum limit (described by general relativity with possible quantum corrections). Specifically, the dynamics of the theory is encoded in the hamiltonian constraint, but there is no candidate hamiltonian

Other technical problems include finding off-shell closure of the constraint algebra and physical inner product vector space, coupling to matter fields of Qunatum fieldtheory fate of the renormalization of the gravitonin pertubation theory that lead to ultra violet divergence beyond 2-loops.

While there has been a recent proposal relating to observation of naked singularites,

and doubly special relativity as a part of a program called loop quantum cosmology there is no experimental observation for which loop quantum gravity makes a prediction not made by the Standard Model or general relativity (a problem that plagues all current theories of quantum gravity). Because of the above-mentioned lack of a semiclassical limit, LQG has not yet even reproduced the predictions made by general relativity.

An alternative criticism is that general relativity may be an effective field theory, and therefore quantization ignores the fundamental degrees of freedom.

In other words, I'm still working on it. Get back to me in a couple weeks, Sipi.

Sorry for the typos, but I think everyone understands the gist of what I was saying, right?

Just let me know when you want me to go back to posting cat videos, folks. I bet you didn't know that I minored in modern physics in college. The head of the Physics Dept was Dr. James Van Allen, you know THAT James Van Allen, as in the Van Allen Radiation Belts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Allen_radiation_belt For a time, Voyager One was in his lab and we had a chance to look at it. (not touch it, mind you, just stand back and look) Just imagine, it's still going strong, in interstellar space.

And for:

I understand there are those who get their panties in a twist over the term Farang, but I am not one of those individuals. When I was trying to come up with an online identity to represent my new life far from Bangkok in the natural splendor of Chiang Rai, Village Farang just seemed to fit. I understand the nuances of Thai language and custom enough to treat each person and situation individually without a blanket response of resentment or condemnation. Small people walk around with a chip on their shoulder seeing the worst in others. It is easy to be critical and negative when you are insecure but I don't suffer from that condition. I embrace my farangness and don't apologize for using it in my online name.