Reason for visit to cop shop

recom273

15 accident free years - then 2 incidents in a week.

I misjudged a woman's actions yesterday, cut across her bow and she dropped her bike in the center of town.

I stopped and took responsibility - the ambulance showed up to put a plaster in her toe, police were there within 30 seconds.

Knowing that it wouldn't amount to much I offered to pay for whatever, in fact I said follow me to my buddies shop and there's a good chance he will have the indicator glass and it will be fixed.

Then he said, right, off to the station .. I was confused and refused.

It was 6.00 pm, all through the proceedings I sat on the bike while the woman was screaming and moaning. There was no misunderstandings, the EMT guys were chatting and complimenting my Thai.

Anyway, I sorted it with cash on the roadside ( to my advantage - her bike was illegal, no tax ) but when I spoke to Thai friends today they were also confused why It should be taken to the station - if the paperwork was correct and both parties were in agreement then there was no need to go to the cop shop.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Maybe for the cops to fine you for the accident. That is my guess anyway.

Aww .. lol .. I wonder what for ?

Riding with a crash helmet ? Riding within the speed limit ? Riding a vehicle without an overloaded illegal side car ? Riding with the flow of traffic and not against ?

What was the cop thinking ? Surely if he got off his fat behind and got out on the street he would find more traffic violations within 5 minutes.

You may actually be right, because all the time I was just ignoring the situation, the woman was raving in the local dialect, probably telling him she wanted me charged with everything the cop could dream up.

She asked for 2000B to which i laughed at and offered 500B she was adamant 2000B, then I clocked it - no tax disc on her bike, then the cop looked at her and told her take the 500B quick.

It would have been great trying to watch them try and charge me, no English spoken. She wasn't wearing a helmet which is quite a no-no in the center of town, she had her head turned 90 degrees talking to her buddy on the back - anywhere else, would have been without due care and attention and she didn't have a tax disc .. Probably more to lose than me.

Edited by recom273

Maybe for the cops to fine you for the accident. That is my guess anyway.

Its Christmas and the BIB were looking for a turkey with a brown envelope attached to its leg. Its a good thing you spotted the tax sticker missing it gave you a bit of an edge and also the fact that you spoke Thai. She of course seeing you as a rich foreigner went into her stage/staged performance to up the ante in her favor. You were like a winning lottery ticket. You should have paid nothing and she a big fat fine. Paying walk away money of 500 baht is not much in reality but the whole process here for you and others in similar situations stinks to high heaven. Reading your story it again reinforces my thinking that I do not want to own anything here in the land of endless possibilities to be tagged monetarily. I cut them off at the pass.

I had no idea it was walking away money, mate, like I said,

Fifteen years and never an accident. I was playing the white man, a new indicator glass and a sweetener to look over the scuffed mud guard would have been imo 500B.

It's been an interesting week - flicked off by some taxi driver who wouldn't produce any ID or license, refused to admit he had bumped me, police wouldn't get involved as I was 10cm into private property.

Did the woman have a licence? You say bike not taxed, if she also never had a licence, I would not have paid her anything. whether it was my fault or not.

She should not have been on the road, end of

But you being a Farang, I suppose the police would find some way to make you pay.

Did the woman have a licence? You say bike not taxed, if she also never had a licence, I would not have paid her anything. whether it was my fault or not.

She should not have been on the road, end of

But you being a Farang, I suppose the police would find some way to make you pay.

Yes, she had a licence.

No helmet tho' .. She claimed to have the tax, but at home - I have been well aware after reading posts here, that this is not good enough for the BiB, it should be on display, not even under the seat.

I had already made the offer of 500 to counter her 2000B, before noticing the road tax.

Maybe someone can learn from this. If you are ever in a situation, then ask to see all the paperwork before making an offer. I will be carrying that little insurance slip around with me in the future.

Makes no difference whether she had tax or not, it's a separate issue. Same with a license. Not having these things doesn't take away your responsibility. And from what I've read here she did have them. Not displaying your tax doesn't mean the vehicle is not taxed, but like a said, that is a separate issue anyway.

IMO you under paid her. You caused an accident and actual injury to another person. An indicator glass and bulb is easily 2-300B, a new mudguard is around a thousand baht. Not to mention her now scuffed bar ends, brake levers, foot pegs and likely fairings, even though they probably looked ok to you, they would have been scratched somewhere.

If she were to replace all of these, it would have cost at least the 2000B you should have paid her not to mention the injuries you caused her. Then you come on here and almost boast about how clever you were.

I wonder if it had been the other way around and she hit you, would you be happy about getting 500B for your now scratched up bike and injured foot?

Makes no difference whether she had tax or not, it's a separate issue. Same with a license. Not having these things doesn't take away your responsibility. And from what I've read here she did have them. Not displaying your tax doesn't mean the vehicle is not taxed, but like a said, that is a separate issue anyway.

IMO you under paid her. You caused an accident and actual injury to another person. An indicator glass and bulb is easily 2-300B, a new mudguard is around a thousand baht. Not to mention her now scuffed bar ends, brake levers, foot pegs and likely fairings, even though they probably looked ok to you, they would have been scratched somewhere.

If she were to replace all of these, it would have cost at least the 2000B you should have paid her not to mention the injuries you caused her. Then you come on here and almost boast about how clever you were.

I wonder if it had been the other way around and she hit you, would you be happy about getting 500B for your now scratched up bike and injured foot?

Thanks for your point of view, I can assure you I didn't come to boast, rather as the title say "why a visit to the cop shop"

I gave the woman two options, take it to my buddies place and we can fix it now or take it to Honda in the morning and I will sort out the bill.

Instead of behaving in a civilized manner, she screamed up an audience and persuaded the police officer to make a bigger deal than it could have been.

She was the person that decided the only damage to her bike was the indicator.

When he offered her the deal of sorting it out on the pavement, she jumped at 2000B because that's the number she thought she could extract from me, it wasn't in relation to the damage.

The whole incident was driven by her greed, she said that she didn't have private medical cover, and this is when I asked the policeman what exactly the PRB was for, I thought I had to supply her with my details so she could visit casualty .. Then I asked where her tax disc and PRB were, that's when the officer quickly TOLD her to take the 500B.

Interesting that you don't see that having a roadworthy vehicle ( it was in excess of 5 years old ) or a license relevant to the situation .. Others here may disagree with you and from what I can gather the policeman obviously considered it to be relevant.

The first incident this week was by a taxi driver who managed to drive into me while I was sitting static in a petrol station, he managed to gouge a deep scratch along my polished GIVI pannier - 17,000B - he denied even doing that, refused to provide any ID or accept any responsibility - arguing with the pump attendance who saw him do it. The police weren't interested in doing anything to help. So yeah, i do know.

Edited by recom273

Thanks for your point of view, I can assure you I didn't come to boast, rather as the title say "why a visit to the cop shop"

I gave the woman two options, take it to my buddies place and we can fix it now or take it to Honda in the morning and I will sort out the bill.

Instead of behaving in a civilized manner, she screamed up an audience and persuaded the police officer to make a bigger deal than it could have been.

When he offered her the deal of sorting it out on the pavement, she jumped at 2000B because that's the number she thought she could extract from me, it wasn't in relation to the damage.

The whole incident was driven by her greed, she said that she didn't have private medical cover, and this is when I asked the policeman what exactly the PRB was for, I thought I had to supply her with my details so she could visit casualty .. Then I asked where her tax disc and PRB were, that's when the officer quickly TOLD her to take the 500B.

Interesting that you don't see that having a roadworthy vehicle ( it was in excess of 5 years old ) or a license relevant to the situation .. Others here may disagree with you and from what I can gather the policeman obviously considered it to be relevant.

The first incident this week was by a taxi driver who managed to drive into me while I was sitting static in a petrol station, he managed to gouge a deep scratch along my polished GIVI pannier - 17,000B - he denied even doing that, refused to provide any ID or accept any responsibility - arguing with the pump attendance who saw him do it. The police weren't interested in doing anything to help. So yeah, i do know.

The PRB should cover medical for minor accidents

Private medical cover? are you serious? Even if she had, you were at fault

You say not road worthy but she had a license and likely tax so it likely was.

I understand that Thais rarely pay for the damage they cause and i am sorry you have been a victim of that, but in this case you were at fault.

We are quick to complain about Thais when these things happen, but in this case you did pretty much the same as them.

2 accidents in a week??? Insurance up 100000000%.......maybe consider walking!!!!!!

I would report your accidents to your home country!!!!

i am an internet lawyer and could settle a civil suit for 100,000,000 billion baht!!!!!!

i gotta get back to the closet.....too dangerous out there

coffee1.gif

The PRB should cover medical for minor accidents

Private medical cover? are you serious? Even if she had, you were at fault

You say not road worthy but she had a license and likely tax so it likely was.

I understand that Thais rarely pay for the damage they cause and i am sorry you have been a victim of that, but in this case you were at fault.

We are quick to complain about Thais when these things happen, but in this case you did pretty much the same as them.

Sorry man, you don't get it do you ?

Private medical care ? Hospital cover for a scratched toe ? Are you kidding me ? Were you there ? She had no intention of visiting the hospital. Maybe putting a tensoplast on it for a day or two.

I wanted to know if I needed to give my her my PRB details or whatever ..

Anyway, you seem to have made your mind up - I stopped, apologized and asked what I could do to make it right. Now there could have been many avenues she could have taken.

She took the guidance of the police and an idea that she could exploit the situation of having a westerner stop and offer to make it right to her own benefit.

How does, "don't worry, I will pay for all the damage" get twisted by you into likening my behavior to a local.

Again, when the police stood there and said, right, what's the damage her and her family looked all over the already damaged bike ( bent up foot peg and scratched mudguard to the opposite side ) and said err, err .. The indicator lens. That was it. How much for the indicator lens ? 2000B.

Hope you understand now.

Edited by recom273

I, for one, would be interested to hear what the police wanted from you when you go to the police station. Accidents like this can happen to anyone. It is not so much the actual financial cost, but the uncertainty in knowing how much you should reasonably pay as a foreigner in Thailand.

Why you care if you have insurance just take pictures get the thai attended to talk to your insurance and job done you are in thailand 3 rd world country .

If you live there you just have to put up with the DELETED that comes with living there .

As for the bike thing I would have give her the 2,000 bht and walk what is $80 dollars not much .

All Thais care about is money and free money is the best money to them , you should have give her the money.

Edited by seedy
language

I had no idea it was walking away money, mate, like I said,

Fifteen years and never an accident. I was playing the white man, a new indicator glass and a sweetener to look over the scuffed mud guard would have been imo 500B.

It's been an interesting week - flicked off by some taxi driver who wouldn't produce any ID or license, refused to admit he had bumped me, police wouldn't get involved as I was 10cm into private property.

I find here you have to be ruthless with them, i wouldnt have accepted any responsibility and shown no sympathy for the injured person If i wasnt at fault, last guy that hit me on his motorcycle claimed the hole in my indicator he punched thru with the ball end of his rear brake lever was " already there" this is similar to your taxi saying " never touched you"

One hour later and with the insurance guy there I dragged his bike to my pick up and inserted the ball end in the hole to show perfect match/height etc, he commented if he had done it why wasnt there any broken plastic in the road............... Thick as ...... so then we had to explain punching a hole into the plastic from outside means the bits are inside the lens not outside ............. DELETED

Finally he said it was just bad luck......................... not he had caused the accident by his stupidity.........the bad luck was not the accident per se for him it was hitting someone who would argue and point out all his BS story.

NOW if he had got off his bike and said "hey Im really sorry" etc I would have said "look its only maybe 3-400 baht for a new lens forget it but drive more carefully...................alas due to his BS this didnt happen.

My Wife said to him "WHY" do you have to lie, just accept the responsibility........

Insurance agreed he was totally at fault he had to stump up about 1200 baht for new lens/fitting etc. at a main dealer

Edited by seedy
language

Why you care if you have insurance just take pictures get the thai attended to talk to your insurance and job done you are in thailand 3 rd world country .

If you live there you just have to put up with the shit that comes with living there .

As for the bike thing I would have give her the 2,000 bht and walk what is $80 dollars not much .

All Thais care about is money and free money is the best money to them , you should have give her the money.

DELETED so great now any accident we should just fork out whatever..........no wonder nothing changes here....ah its only $80 TODAY tomorrow $100-$150-$200 etc

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

I really wonder why so many falangs on TV think Thais are out to get them. My experience is most Thais are honest, including occasions when I've tendered the wrong amount and had the banknote given back to me.

The OP had an accident, his fault. The woman's licence/insurance status is another issue for the police to deal with if they wish to, not him. It's probably DELETED like him and other posters on this thread that give falangs a bad name.

Possibly I am moving in the wrong circles in Thailand. laugh.png

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Driver's license, vehicle license, no helmet, no insurance are all irrelevant issues when the actual issue is the negligence of the other driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Headgame

In any accident, the first thing you ask is to see their driving licence, insurance, tax.

If they don't have them all, you don't have to pay.

I don't think they have any obligation to disclose any of that to you.

My wife was driving our pickup ..... hit by a trainee driver in a bus .... their fault, she was stopped at traffic lights, they didn't take the corner wide enough.

Ripped out the whole side of their paper thin bus, dented out rear panel. Like, you wouldn't believe the damage they did to their bus.

Their insurance came, asked to see her DL, she doesn't have one, 'no driving licence and we don't have to pay, goodbye'.

And that was it.

So now, that's what I say, and it works every time.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

True story.......

Up here in the sticks, an ice truck delivery van hit my car as I was reversing out of my drive. I was going very slow as it is a blind spot but a very quiet road. It isn't so quiet now as it was formerly a ' red road ' but has now been treated with Tarmac. This has not helped as now everybody speeds down this once ' quiet road ' and wagons are now using it as a shortcut!

Anyway, instead of allowing me out, he came at speed and attempted to get round me but caught the side of my pick up and scraped the side as well as the foot sill was was damaged and needed replacing as did the rear wheel guard.

He admitted he was at fault. Local copper arrived from the village.he asked me if I had insurance, I said I had and it was Class 1. He then informed me the ice truck had no insurance at all and suggested he would do a report stating I was responsible and I could then claim on MY insurance.

I pointed out it was the other guys fault and my insurance premium would go up at renewal.....He said to change insurance company as there were loads of them!!! At this point, I realised I was wasting my time.....[emoji13]

I get your point, I just knew when he said that I was banging my head against a brick wall and up here they all seem to be somebody's cousin or family or extended family and why should I be allowed to disrupt their way of living, that is the feeling you get when you try to argue the toss with them.

They blindly do not see it when I tried to point out that I had to have insurance so why not the ice truck...The answer was " ice " would not be a profitable business if he had to do things like getting insurance, I just walked away shaking my head to myself.