One for you Strawberry lovers

DumbFalang

I spend a lot of time up in Samoeng, Chiang Mai these days and a couple of months back stumbled across the most amazing Strawberry farm - the likes of which you will not find anywhere else in Thailand. It is run by a Hungarian guy and his wife and anyone that knows anything about Strawberries would not believe their eyes if they see this farm. It's called Magic Berry Farm and if you like Strawberries, you should definitely drop in..... or visit their Facebook page... facebook.com/magicberryfarm

As there aren't many Farangs around these parts, me and the missus have shared a few beers with the owners and learned a little bit about how they get their fruits to such a high quality - WITHOUT SPRAYING CHEMICALS!

It's all pretty technical, but all I care about is that they are safe to eat - not like strawberries grown by the vast majority of Thai farmers which, as many of you will know, are toxic.

Anyhoo, I'm taking some down for friends in Pattaya next Tuesday (29th Dec) and I'd be happy to bring a few extra kilo's if anyone is interested. They cost Bt300 for the Thai (Royal 80) variety and Bt400 for the Hungarian variety.

The Thai are more red and sweet than the Hungarian, but the Hungarian are bigger and more crisp. If you know your strawberries, you just have to try these puppies.

Not sure yet, but will likely make them available for collection at the Hard Rock Hotel and/or Starbucks in Central. Can also drop off anywhere on our route between Chiang Mai and Pattaya.

My wife loves strawberries since we visited Florida USA last Fall, October 2014! I do not think she ever ate strawberries, but

she had. We bought 1 pound for $2.00 US. They were normal for me, but huge red delicious strawberries for her. She ate almost

all of them herself. We then bought more every week while we were visiting the family. A month ago she bought some in Korat and they were 80 for a pint, or maybe 1/2 pound. They didn't look delicious deep red and very small. They did not taste flavorful.

Today we were leaving Bang Saen for Korat and stopped at a fruit market and saw strawberries again and they looked the same. Small, deep red and asked to taste and they said no. Price up to 100 baht. We said no thanks. My wife will eat strawberries in

Florida for $2.00 (half a kilo) when we return in October. I told her she needs to grow here for 300-400 THB kilo! Her family

are farmers so it's in her blood. We love Kao Yai so time to take early retirement from civil service and grow strawberries!

Maybe a great business!

MMmmmmm the magic ones from Thailand look ok for Thailand. Most are small and like hard bullets also tasteless. I tried the ones from Kao Yai area and they were okayish ?... still not up to the standard you get from Scotland. I have taken boxes of them back before and the GF and the Thais are astounded not just by the taste but the aroma.

https://www.facebook.com/barraberries/

Some fruit needs cool weather to flourish - not something you get enough of here. I guess northern Laos or Vietnam might be the closest area that would be suitable.

I have never heard about sweet strawberries in Thailand , like we're used to back home. And I have always been told this is due to the climate and soil conditions. If this Hungarian did some magic and actually makes sweet, tasty Strawberries, I am interested in 2 kilos .

Can meet you at Central F.

First time ever I hear about somebody telling me that you can produce sweet strawberries in Thailand. I am from Sweden and Scandinavia and we are spoiled when it comes to that berry... We like em really sweet and sugarish.

Absolutely NOT like you get here in Thailand, which is just dead berries tastewise. I have understood, like lonewolf said, that they need seasons. And above all, strawberries are known to need TIME to grow....

When it is too warm, they will grow way too fast, and they can NOT produce that amount of sugar that we falang are used to...

So thank you, but NO thank you for the offer. I do not believe you,,, that this hungerian guy have found the miracle medicin to produce really good strawberries.

Glegolo

I do not believe you,,, that this hungerian guy have found the miracle medicin to produce really good strawberries.

Glegolo

I don't blame you. If I saw this thread I wouldn't believe it either.

Three top execs from Paragon were here last week and let's just say that you'll get a chance to pick them up from Gourmet Market and other places soon. The guy has just rented an extra 19 rai to cope with Paragons requirements.

This guy is not normal. He is a top businessman and he will dominate the market from 2016. Not just with strawberries, but with raspberries too.

He has another variety that do not even start fruiting until April - when all the other Thai farmers have packed up. There is even more stuff to tell, but I'll save it for anyone that turns up in Starbucks on Tuesday.

The wife and son are picking as I type this, so I'll bring an extra 4 or 5 kilos down with me for you guys to try. If they are not as good as your home country, then I will apologize for wasting your time.

Driving all day today, so will update the thread as soon as I get chance.

No sweet strawberry in Thailand ? Thats not true .I live in Chiang Mai ,and you just have to ask for the sweet ones .Usually B180 at the main market here .( probably half a kilo ?) .Most will let you try one first .

No sweet strawberry in Thailand ? Thats not true .I live in Chiang Mai ,and you just have to ask for the sweet ones .Usually B180 at the main market here .( probably half a kilo ?) .Most will let you try one first .

As I wrote before, this is complete news to me about good and sweet strawberries in Thailand and in warmer countries...

I guess that it is about ones frame of experience of sweet strwawberries as well. Have met people here before, that have applaud strawberries they just bought, only for me seconds later, when try them, finds that it is the usual shit of lowsugarsweet strawberries.

I have eaten and tried here in Chaiyaphum, I have tried in Pattaya and I have tried in Rayong, but ANYWHERE have I found sweet and tasty strawberries,,,, Just the usual shit that they sell here in Thailand.... But maybe it is me that is just too spoiled.. I am from Scandinavia, and we have the very best there.....

But I would be really happy if I could really find good and sweet strawberries in Thailand.

Glegolo

As I wrote before, this is complete news to me about good and sweet strawberries in Thailand and in warmer countries...

I guess that it is about ones frame of experience of sweet strwawberries as well. Have met people here before, that have applaud strawberries they just bought, only for me seconds later, when try them, finds that it is the usual shit of lowsugarsweet strawberries.

I have eaten and tried here in Chaiyaphum, I have tried in Pattaya and I have tried in Rayong, but ANYWHERE have I found sweet and tasty strawberries,,,, Just the usual shit that they sell here in Thailand.... But maybe it is me that is just too spoiled.. I am from Scandinavia, and we have the very best there.....

But I would be really happy if I could really find good and sweet strawberries in Thailand.

Glegolo

Strawberries need cool weather to thrive ,which they get up the mountains outside Chiang mai City.I have had the bitter ones here also ,so i know the difference .I also come from Ireland where they have the ideal climate ,and i know the taste of a good berry.I would be worried though about the amount of chemicals used ,so to get an organic supply would be great.