EC's Somchai defends appointment of son as assistant secretary

webfact

EC's Somchai defends appointment of son as assistant secretary

2812003-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, a member of the Election Commission, has come out to defend the appointment of his son as an assistant secretary attached to the EC, saying that everything is above board.

Mr Somchai said the appointment of his son, Prin Srisuthiyakorn, fully complies with EC’s regulations and was not nepotistic.

He said a report that his son had requested for subsistence allowances for travelling to work at the offices of the election committees of Pathum Thani and Saraburi provinces was incorrect because Mr Prin had not joined those official trips.

Boonyakiat Rakchartcharoen, the acting EC secretary-general, confirmed that Mr Prin had not taken part in the trips. Even if it was true that Mr Prin had gone on those trips, he would be entitled to a daily subsistence allowance of 250 baht, he added.

Thanis Sriprathet, a resourceful person attached to the EC, said each EC member has the right to appoint people he trusts to work for him and the appointees are entitled to a monthly payment. If that EC member is no longer in the position, the persons he has appointed will also be out of job, he added.

Sources said each EC member is entitled to appoint two assistant secretaries whose monthly pay is based on their education levels. An assistant secretary whose education is below the bachelor’s degree is entitled to receive a monthly pay of 15,000 baht, bachelor’s degree 20,000 baht and above bachelor’s degree 23,000 baht.

Mr Prin received a bachelor’s degree from Bangkok University.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ecs-somchai-defends-appointment-of-son-as-assistant-secretary

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-29

One of the biggest problems in Thailand. Nepotism and cronyism. Hiring those with connections, but not with proper qualifications for the job. It should be illegal to hire your relative or have them work in your department. Legal or not, it's not the right thing to do.

This article really screams out for a deservedly snide response, however I will restrain myself (on this occasion).

post-209291-0-23679500-1451350993_thumb.

I will make one positive observation about the EC though, it is reported in this article that at least Thanis Sriprathet is a resourceful person!

Because one has received a bachelor's degree doesn't mean that the person is qualified to do the job, especially if that person was appointed ahead of someone who had worked in this EC service for years, it would be a disgrace if this son had taken the job from someone else , a bachelor of science would not necessary know how to make up an expenditure list for drinks at the turning on of the city hall lights project or a bachelor of English literature and languages organising a weekend away studying the drinking habits of democratic voters in Loei, not a good look in anybody's book....................................................coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

I look forward to Deputy PM for Economic Affairs Somkid providing transparency in Prin's selection: justify the vacancy, identify the list of candidates, their qualifications, interview results, and method by which Prin was the obvious choice. I am sure Somkid recognizes that the Thai economy is on a precipice of collapse and it would threaten national security to select an incompetent or unproven assistant secretary.

Should Somkid remain silent, the innuendo is nepotism and/or appointment beyond his control, ie., directed by Prayut. Should Prayut also remain silent on justification, it may mean collusion with the EC for some nontransparent strategy having a higher priority than the economy.

"...said each EC member has the right to appoint people he trusts to work for him..."

This is the exact definition of Nepotism when you hire a family member that does not have to compete for the job or fulfill a set of qualifications put forth by the agency. The fact that they defend this because the members have a right to hire people they trust says a whole lot about Thai society and how far they have to go to step out of the shadow of a third world country.

Even if he had the requisite qualifications, he should not be allowed to serve in any role. I am not questioning his honesty, trustworthiness, etc. It is a simple matter of being wrong. He is open to influence or may influence others through his connections. Now were it a private company, I would have no issues. But this is an entity where impartiality is of the essence.

I consider a degree from Bangkok University the same as no degree at all.

I would rate him lower than someone from Chulalongkorn or Thammasat or someone with more experience. He is telling me that his son was the only one that applied for the job?

And what is your academic opinion considered as within the academic world?

The fact you rate anyone simply on which university they attended says a lot about your own abilities. Glad you don't do our HR and hiring.

Attack it for blatant nepotism is fine. Attacking a university of which you seem to know nothing and suggesting candidates suitability based on universtiy attendance is ridiculous.

I consider a degree from Bangkok University the same as no degree at all.

I would rate him lower than someone from Chulalongkorn or Thammasat or someone with more experience. He is telling me that his son was the only one that applied for the job?

And what is your academic opinion considered as within the academic world?

The fact you rate anyone simply on which university they attended says a lot about your own abilities. Glad you don't do our HR and hiring.

Attack it for blatant nepotism is fine. Attacking a university of which you seem to know nothing and suggesting candidates suitability based on universtiy attendance is ridiculous.

If he really was smart why didn't he attend a top tier university like Chulalongkorn. It does not make sense to pay more for an inferior name. Especially in Thailand where face and prestige means a million times more than in the West. Even in the West I wouldn't have the time and resources to interview 1000s candidates in search for hidden talent. Screening on education is quick, efficient and has a higher probability of success. That is how HR in every part of the world works, buddy. It has nothing to do with my abilities.

In Thailand it just does not make sense to get a degree from a worthless institution unless he just was not smart enough for top tier universities.

Maybe it should have been called a Batchelors Degree - just add water and heat and still tastes awful.

There must be more perks in this job to accept a salary of 20,000bt per month, especial when you will lose the job as soon as your father gets the chop.

Plus who is going to employ you after this job - oh yes one of daddy's mates.

Maybe Somchai needs close family to mind his back.

I would suggest and recommend those that so quickly jump on their bandwagon of negativity make a basis comparison of alleged nepotisim etc in the countries of their own origin. And also to compare the qualifications of those same countries universities being accepted globally.

In light of that result I would welcome them come again with the comparative result having applied the same scornfull criteria.

Just for the entertainment of it I have purchased 3 ( Verifiable) degrees from the USA. The are wall mounted between the art of my children.

My other genuine qualification would shame the majority of you negativist superiorist psuedo colonialist anal wimps.

" By the looks of him" ? Is a valid criteria for rejection?

Electoral charts printed under the influence of which regime?

Those whose believed dedicated role is to deride without concern of actual involvment are the same as children testing the environment.

But as adults who never have acheived departure from diaper dependance it demonstrates the sickness of the world in general !

Have a "happy" new year being the same as the last one.........oneinists.laugh.png