CDC reaches conclusion on minimum age of Thai voters under new charter

webfact

CDC reaches conclusion on minimum age of voters under new charter

BANGKOK, 29 December 2015 (NNT) - The Constitution Drafting Commission has reached a conclusion on the minimum age of voters under the new charter.

CDC spokesman Norachit Sinhaseni said this week that the charter drafter’s meeting has already started reviewing the report on the work of the subcommittee in charge of the reform of education and law enforcement.

Mr. Norachit said that the subcommittee has suggested the introduction of a national education plan and a law covering the national education plan as soon as possible, while setting up an education committee to handle all policies and regulatory works.

He added that the committee pointed out that there should be control of the budget for education in order to ensure the efficiency of the spending.

The CDC spokesman went on to say that the charter drafters’ meeting also considered the legal age of voters and agreed that the minimum age of a voter will be eighteen on the day that the election takes place.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-29 footer_n.gif

Whatever your national service age is, that's your benchmark , if you can go of to war at 18 you can vote for the ar##es that sent you , this was soon discovered in OZ in the Vietnam war when the Libs introduced National Service.................................................coffee1.gif

So they will be allowed to vote for corrupt politicians at age 18, but they are not considered mature enough to legally buy alcohol before they are 20? What a strange, strange country...

As are some parts of the USA.

So they will be allowed to vote for corrupt politicians at age 18, but they are not considered mature enough to legally buy alcohol before they are 20? What a strange, strange country...

Yes just like many U S states sending men to war zones at 18 but can't buy a beer till 21. That happened to me in California.

I would also set a maximum age, to avoid to much conservative votes and not to end up with a elderly government.

Yes, a puerile government would be much better. But isn't it strange that with an electorate with more younger voters than old, we don't get more snot-noses elected?

I hear that they are not giving 100 baht a vote up country any more.

No; it's been increased to 200 !!

Not quiet right; for the 18 to 30 Y.O. it will be a barbie doll of a hello kitty doll, male and female can make their own decision on which one and select their favourite colour.

Unfortunately the CDC won't insist on constitutional provisions that guarantees the right of all Thais to vote in elections, regardless of their age. That control will remain the perview of the military.

CAN you name ANY country in the world that allows "all citizens, regardless of age" a vote. Just one country!

Unfortunately the CDC won't insist on constitutional provisions that guarantees the right of all Thais to vote in elections, regardless of their age. That control will remain the perview of the military.

Of course it will.

The type of democracy , they even admit won't resemble the wests.

Clauses ensure those that hold power will also be answerable to them.

Not that the ""them"" and ""elected leader"" will be any different.

What's annoying is the flooding of topics in western print with the sole purpose of trying to appear pro democracy.

When infact the nature of this beast resembles something out of George Orwell 's 1984

Thought crimes ( Like button )

Neighbours too scared to talk about issues in case the ""adjustment camp awaits"

Media warned summoned, and made to sign forms that say next offensive article they write the state will seize their house .

Opponents go to jail some die soon after.

LM creates fear and is widened, and even US officials investigated .

Students get arrested while ultra nationals protest outside embassies.

Social media seen as irresponsible , and human rights abuses wide spread.

Ex Pm ( the elected one ) gets kangaroo court treatment .

Burmese trails that are widely panned result in the guilty remaining at large and the innocent given death sentences.

Any name mention of Corruption you get arrested .

Polls rate them 98% (or was it 99%)

It's so bad now and getting worse - I booked a nice beach holiday in Vietnam ....lest you know what to expect.

Not get arrested for not having a passport at 2am or liking a post.

Or singing Imagine in some bar .

Now with all that going on and stalling in elections and an undemocratic structure ....is it not pathetic we have to pretend these guys mean good?

Edited by Plutojames88

By the time the eighteen year olds of today get a chance to exercise their right to vote, they will probably be at least 25 (and will probably be choosing between two "approved" candidates who in all likelihood will be generals, admirals or air chief marshals (retd.))

Politicians must already be trying to figure out how to win the hearts and minds of today's 9 year olds - who will likely be of voting age by the time the next elections roll around.

No need for expensive rice schemes or health care programs, free mobile phones with unlimited facebook access should do the trick.

Edited by Wuvu2

The last few posters must be REALLY bad at arithmetic.. 18+1=19 and 9+1=10. Sure the first one can vote in the election in early 2017 but the 10 year old. No, not unless we have " citizens voting irrespective of age"

Errrrr...do you REALLY believe there will be elections in 2017? Now dat thar is funnie!

I'd guess my math - and elections in 2025 is closer to reality than one would hope. :-)

Yes just like many U S states sending men to war zones at 18 but can't buy a beer till 21. That happened to me in California.

Beer kills brain cells. Bullets don't! See the logic?

CAN you name ANY country in the world that allows "all citizens, regardless of age" a vote. Just one country!

North Korea!

According to Srikcir.

Anyway, 18 and older, Thai ID, not banned because of convictions.

Now I wonder if voting will still be mandatory and not voting will strip you of the voting right for some years.

Edited by rubl

By the time the eighteen year olds of today get a chance to exercise their right to vote, they will probably be at least 25 (and will probably be choosing between two "approved" candidates who in all likelihood will be generals, admirals or air chief marshals (retd.))

Those being 18 on 2011-07-04 would have to wait 4 years, then being 22, democratically so.

Those being 18 on 2011-07-04 would have to wait 4 years, then being 22, democratically so.

your point being?

Sure if you reach voting age just after and election in a stable country, you would need to wait until that governments term expired to get a chance to vote. Not many Thai governments have managed to make it to full term for various reasons, amongst them the 22 coups. However you would get a chance to vote in regional and local elections and thereby exercise you democratic rights. It is not the same as reaching voting age in a country where democracy has been stolen and having to wait an unknown period until it is given back.

In addition, as a citizen, or even as a resident and tax payer in Thailand, you are not permitted to express opinions on a broad and ever expanding range of subjects in which the citizens and taxpayers might otherwise expect to have a legitimate interest and some say.

Of course it will.

The type of democracy , they even admit won't resemble the wests.

Clauses ensure those that hold power will also be answerable to them.

Not that the ""them"" and ""elected leader"" will be any different.

What's annoying is the flooding of topics in western print with the sole purpose of trying to appear pro democracy.

When infact the nature of this beast resembles something out of George Orwell 's 1984

Thought crimes ( Like button )

Neighbours too scared to talk about issues in case the ""adjustment camp awaits"

Media warned summoned, and made to sign forms that say next offensive article they write the state will seize their house .

Opponents go to jail some die soon after.

LM creates fear and is widened, and even US officials investigated .

Students get arrested while ultra nationals protest outside embassies.

Social media seen as irresponsible , and human rights abuses wide spread.

Ex Pm ( the elected one ) gets kangaroo court treatment .

Burmese trails that are widely panned result in the guilty remaining at large and the innocent given death sentences.

Any name mention of Corruption you get arrested .

Polls rate them 98% (or was it 99%)

It's so bad now and getting worse - I booked a nice beach holiday in Vietnam ....lest you know what to expect.

Not get arrested for not having a passport at 2am or liking a post.

Or singing Imagine in some bar .

Now with all that going on and stalling in elections and an undemocratic structure ....is it not pathetic we have to pretend these guys mean good?

I'm in Vietnam right now and the difference is palpable. I don't even worry that if a car driven by an influential di*khead runs me over as I cross the road, that I will be surrounded y an angry mob claiming it was my fault, then sued and extorted on pain of imprisonment without trial for the dents to his bodywork...

Edited by sharecropper