WARNING Don muang airport new rules

t8769

We booked a trip and left the new Terminal 2, when we arrived our bags were still in Bangkok and we were told we had to pay for a flight to go back and get them. So we had to buy two new tickets to get back to Bangkok.

Everyone at the airport was very helpful and nice - but they said these are the new rules.

So we lost our holiday and a lot of money.

Be careful if you fly from Terminal 2. Make sure there is nothing electronic, no batteries, no electrical items or anything else that might look bad in the x-ray - your bags may not fly with you.

You can wait to make sure your bag has been x-rayed and is OK.

We lost our holiday and a lot of money because of this.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holiday not ruined!!!! you spent it with the ones you love!!!! 555555

once in china they told me they lost a critical piece of luggage....no clue where it was. then i got to BKK and it was there....

so i know how you feel for about 6 hours.....

but life happens...

it's only money!!!!!!

coffee1.gif

What new rules ? Please explain.

Did you arrive at the new terminal in a taxi, your own car, etc with your baggage, check in, board the plane and then find out on arrival that it didn't travel with you ?

Where did you fly to ?

Is this an issue with baggage being transferred from a separate flight, perhaps from a different terminal ?

If it's not an issue with baggage transfer then what was the exact and specific problem with your baggage ?

why would you buy two new tickets to fly back, the airline is responsible for the baggage unless you used two different airlines and your baggage was not checked through to the final destination.

Explain please

Edited by beano2274

This is very unusual. Normally, the airport staff will open your luggage and take out the item in question. I've had this happen before. Luckily, it was determined the item in question wasn't dangerous and they put a note in my bag it had been opened and inspected. They cut the lock off and even put it inside my luggage, right on top with the note.

Sure would like more into.

Your story or complaint is very vague at best. No one can understand what you mean as you didn't explain what exactly happened.

Where did you board ?

Where did you land ?

What exactly happened ?

Were your bags checked in at the counter ?

seems more to this story ....................

This is very unusual. Normally, the airport staff will open your luggage and take out the item in question. I've had this happen before. Luckily, it was determined the item in question wasn't dangerous and they put a note in my bag it had been opened and inspected. They cut the lock off and even put it inside my luggage, right on top with the note.

Electronic devices are not allowed to be in baggage that you want to check in, (mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc), luckily mine was spotted by the scanner operator at Don Muang upon entry to the airport and before I checked in so I simply took it out and placed it in my hand luggage.

His obviously wasn't spotted at this stage but was seen at the second scan stage which takes place between you checking it in and it getting loaded onto the aircraft.

The airline in question then simply quarantined the bag and placed the responsibility of retrieving it, along with its electronic contents, to the passenger.

So either the 1st scanner operator was asleep or he did not put his bags through this 1st scan point.

Either way, electronic goods were in the baggage that was checked in, which is not allowed.

These rules are not 'new rules' as my experience took place nearly 12 months ago..

The OP's post makes little sense....maybe too much holiday cheer.

Maybe he didn't check his bags at Bangkok (left that task to someone else), the bags didn't get checked in, and the airlines will not check them in without the traveler personally being there to check them in. Which means the traveler must go back to get the bags checked-in or have them shipped to him a different way. Just seems some details are missing.

Edited by Pib

Electronic devices are not allowed to be in baggage that you want to check in, (mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc), luckily mine was spotted by the scanner operator at Don Muang upon entry to the airport and before I checked in so I simply took it out and placed it in my hand luggage.

His obviously wasn't spotted at this stage but was seen at the second scan stage which takes place between you checking it in and it getting loaded onto the aircraft.

The airline in question then simply quarantined the bag and placed the responsibility of retrieving it, along with its electronic contents, to the passenger.

So either the 1st scanner operator was asleep or he did not put his bags through this 1st scan point.

Either way, electronic goods were in the baggage that was checked in, which is not allowed.

These rules are not 'new rules' as my experience took place nearly 12 months ago..

And this is likely the correct answer. Judges? Alex?

It's on a bunch of signs near the check in rows. Also at each check in counter there are typically (and this could be better) laminated signs on top of the check in counter that the counter agent is supposed to point out. If you check in online with just about any airline, there will be a warning there as well. My vote goes towards having it flash on the check in counter screens that identify your flight and class of ticket.

The staff were very helpful and said there had been quite a few problems like this with the new building, bags being kept and passengers being forced to fly back to get them. Even a battery pack can cause this.

These are new regulations, they came in yesterday.

They are no longer allowed to go into a bag and remove offending items, they now cannot send bags on later, as they did in the past.

I imagine this is something to do with the new Termnial 2 building. Very strict rules.

We just wanted to warn others.

I know that the staff were just trying to be extra careful.

Next time we will remove anything that might look remotely bad and wait to make sure the Xray is OK.

Edited by t8769

The staff were very helpful and said there had been quite a few problems like this with the new building, bags being kept and passengers being forced to fly back to get them. Even a battery pack can cause this.

These are new regulations, they came in yesterday.

They are no longer allowed to go into a bag and remove offending items, they now cannot send bags on later, as they did in the past.

I imagine this is something to do with the new Termnial 2 building. Very strict rules.

We just wanted to warn others.

I know that the staff were just trying to be extra careful.

Next time we will remove anything that might look remotely bad and wait to make sure the Xray is OK.

If it is because of that "Lithium batteries ban" that is being enforced by ALL Airlines in Thailand now (and most probably anywhere else in Asia), this has nothing to do with the new T2. This rule is in place anywhere in the Kingdom. And if there was such a battery in your bag, they of course can not send it to you later.

I know the same applies to Malaysia

Just got back to the USA a couple hours ago from my flight out of BKK on Dec 30th ,

My bags came though OK , not opened , and the flashlights in each bag ,

And I also had a few of the USB powerbanks and cell phones

Since I always bring stuff like this home I will be interested if this spreads to all Thai Airports and all flights

.Is there an Official Web page on this of what you can and cannot check in ?

and will this also be carry on luggage ? ( hope not )

My God....some of the answers are so typical ##&%& TV.

While the OP was not 100% clear, you didn't have to be a genius to understand.

It happens in China, and looks like it's happening here. You cannot have powers packs, spare batteries etc in your check-in luggage. They screen your check-in luggage after it is checked in. If your are still close to check in area (that is not hurried through to immigration etc) then if they find something you will hear announcement of your name and you go back and take out offending items. Otherwise your bags will not go.

Fact is they have signs alerting passengers to what is not allowed.

This is very odd.

If you have paid the airline to carry your bag, they must carry it or else alert you if you cannot fly with that bag checked-in.

In fact, many airlines (Iberia, BA, Lufthansa) will deliver your bags to home or hotel if there is a mix-up, or the right bag is delayed, put on the wrong plane etc. I once waited in Madrid for a bag which was sent to Lisbon by mistake. It was delivered by courier within 8 hours.

I realise that people should not take certain things in bags, and I obey the rule. I realise that this is not a simple bag-delay case.

But, if this starts to occur regularly...how many thousands of people will be told to return (and pay) to the departure airport? There is a knock-on effect. Some might lose their hotel bookings, All sorts of outcomes could be envisaged.

Eddy

Absolute drivel !

For safety reasons, the following items cannot be taken on to an aircraft. Please do not pack them in either hand baggage or hold luggage.

• Flammable liquids and solids
  • Oxidisers such as bleaching powders
  • Organic peroxides
  • Tear gas devices or any gas cylinders
  • Infectious substances such as live virus materials
  • Wet-cell car batteries
  • Magnetrons. Instruments containing mercury
  • Instruments containing magnets
  • Fireworks and pyrotechnics
  • Non-safety matches
  • Fire lighter, lighter fuel, paints, thinners
  • Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller

What the OP didn't say was that he was told to watch the screen which is after the checkin desks and wait until he saw his bags pass through without a problem.

What will have happened is that after checking in he just went through to the security point and didn't wait for the bag check. He will have been called to deal with the banned or questionable items in his baggage and would have been able to open the bags and either show that they were OK or removed the problem items.

This is a new system that I've never seen anywhere else so people will be unsure of its working.

With my bags I didn't notice the video monitor until after my bags had cleared so waited more than the suggested 5 minutes..

So it's the fault of the OP or signage or information given.

I went through the day after terminal 2 opened.

It is not NEW RULES it is the terminal 2 baggage security system. It is very very good. I am very much in favour of the system.

This is very odd.

If you have paid the airline to carry your bag, they must carry it or else alert you if you cannot fly with that bag checked-in.

In fact, many airlines (Iberia, BA, Lufthansa) will deliver your bags to home or hotel if there is a mix-up, or the right bag is delayed, put on the wrong plane etc. I once waited in Madrid for a bag which was sent to Lisbon by mistake. It was delivered by courier within 8 hours.

I realise that people should not take certain things in bags, and I obey the rule. I realise that this is not a simple bag-delay case.

But, if this starts to occur regularly...how many thousands of people will be told to return (and pay) to the departure airport? There is a knock-on effect. Some might lose their hotel bookings, All sorts of outcomes could be envisaged.

Eddy

" All sorts of outcomes could be envisaged."

Blame ISIS & Co., not the airlines ... although they could do a better job of making people aware, or passengers could use a little 21st century sense when packing. The "new normal" is something we have to live with.

One outcome to be "envisaged" would be a plane or two being vaporized if some device turns out to be more than some battery operated "toy."

why would you buy two new tickets to fly back, the airline is responsible for the baggage unless you used two different airlines and your baggage was not checked through to the final destination.

Explain please

He had prohibited objects in his luggage.If his name was on the bag,maybe the should have sent a message to the boarding gate.

Explain please

He had prohibited objects in his luggage.If his name was on the bag,maybe the should have sent a message to the boarding gate.

It's very unfortunate the OP has had to fly back but these are the dangerous times we live in and then we have to consider airlines vigilance and duty in preventing possible terrorist attacks (which are frequently changing direction) and who are coming up with more ingenious ways to spread fear and harm, against their luggage problems.

However, I think it's very impractical to suggest sending ' messages to boarding gates ', if the airports / airlines were to lose time to do this every time somebody is carrying prohibited substances then the planes would never get off the ground.

So if you pack any battery-run electronic device (phone, tablet, notebook, electronic thermometer, etc) or even an ordinary cigarette lighter

in your suitcase that you drop off at check-in counter, it will not get in the airplane's cargo hold?

Doesn't one usually already get the clearance when one's luggage is scanned at the entrance to the check-in counter area?

I'm just imagining the situation at Terminal 2 DM airport, I haven't been to the new Terminal 1 yet.

What the OP didn't say was that he was told to watch the screen which is after the checkin desks and wait until he saw his bags pass through without a problem.

What will have happened is that after checking in he just went through to the security point and didn't wait for the bag check. He will have been called to deal with the banned or questionable items in his baggage and would have been able to open the bags and either show that they were OK or removed the problem items.

This is a new system that I've never seen anywhere else so people will be unsure of its working.

With my bags I didn't notice the video monitor until after my bags had cleared so waited more than the suggested 5 minutes..

So it's the fault of the OP or signage or information given.

I went through the day after terminal 2 opened.

It is not NEW RULES it is the terminal 2 baggage security system. It is very very good. I am very much in favour of the system.

You can see people waiting for the baggage check

post-44962-0-43457200-1451529530_thumb.j

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Nothing that the OP experienced is new.

The airlines have prohibited loose batteries, power packs and lithium batteries (extra ones not installed in a device) for a while now. Several years in fact.

You are always suppose to wait to ensure your bags make it through the conveyor assembly after check in. Been like that for many years. Ive had to open my bag for a can of spray deodorant.

You can fly with electronics in your luggage, I do it all the time. Micro computers, cameras etc. The problem is if they are broken, you cannot file a claim for damage. So you take your chance when you do.

I know the op has learned a valuable lesson here. And as far as going back to BKK to pick up luggage, that topic is debatable.