WARNING Don muang airport new rules

t8769

This is very odd.

If you have paid the airline to carry your bag, they must carry it or else alert you if you cannot fly with that bag checked-in.

In fact, many airlines (Iberia, BA, Lufthansa) will deliver your bags to home or hotel if there is a mix-up, or the right bag is delayed, put on the wrong plane etc. I once waited in Madrid for a bag which was sent to Lisbon by mistake. It was delivered by courier within 8 hours.

I realise that people should not take certain things in bags, and I obey the rule. I realise that this is not a simple bag-delay case.

But, if this starts to occur regularly...how many thousands of people will be told to return (and pay) to the departure airport? There is a knock-on effect. Some might lose their hotel bookings, All sorts of outcomes could be envisaged.

Eddy

The airline does not have a duty to carry your bag if there's a security risk.

You have a duty to follow the procedure at the airport. The OP did not at terminal 2.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very odd.

If you have paid the airline to carry your bag, they must carry it or else alert you if you cannot fly with that bag checked-in.

In fact, many airlines (Iberia, BA, Lufthansa) will deliver your bags to home or hotel if there is a mix-up, or the right bag is delayed, put on the wrong plane etc. I once waited in Madrid for a bag which was sent to Lisbon by mistake. It was delivered by courier within 8 hours.

I realise that people should not take certain things in bags, and I obey the rule. I realise that this is not a simple bag-delay case.

But, if this starts to occur regularly...how many thousands of people will be told to return (and pay) to the departure airport? There is a knock-on effect. Some might lose their hotel bookings, All sorts of outcomes could be envisaged.

Eddy

" All sorts of outcomes could be envisaged."

Blame ISIS & Co., not the airlines ... although they could do a better job of making people aware, or passengers could use a little 21st century sense when packing. The "new normal" is something we have to live with.

One outcome to be "envisaged" would be a plane or two being vaporized if some device turns out to be more than some battery operated "toy."

I think this has less to do with Islamic terrorism, and more to do with the fact that batteries in your luggage can cause a fire in the hold.

I have no idea what this means.

At DM for the now reopened terminal 2 there is a change in the way check-in bags are initially scanned:

- Old procedure (at Don Muang terminal 1): you place your bags on the X ray machine, get a sticker on each bag (if bag is passed), then you take you check-in bag to the check-in desk and bags are then put on the conveyor to go the the big bins (after another x-ray check out of sight of passengers), to be loaded ontothe aircraft.

- There is a new and different procedure for all of this at terminal 2, as follows:

- No scan of check-in bags before you deposit your check-in bags at the check-in desk.

- You go straight to the check-in/boarding pass desk and deposit your check-in bags and get your boarding pass.

- Your check-in bags go on the normal conveyor belt between/ behind the check-in desks/staff.

But what people are not realizing is that the check-in bags continue on the conveyor belt just a few metres to an enclosed room at the

end of the check-in row and staff inside that room watch a screen to see if anything inside the bag that is not allowed etc.

There is a window (not all that big) in the wall of this new enclosed room - passengers have to go to this window (after they have done check-in/received boarding pass) and personally check if their check-in bags have passed the scanning.

As I said just above, many passengers are not realizing that they have to go to this window.

My own experience with this:

- The check-in staff girl (one of the local low cost carriers) could speak very little English and was just waving at passengers to go somewhere. Many passengers probably think the check-in staff are just indicating 'now go this direction to the departure areas'.

There are small signs, some just hand written in a few words, in poor and very unclear English near the 'luggage scan check window' to try to tell passengers 'check here if your bag has passed scanning' (these are my expanded words, not the actual words on the small signs).

Many passengers are just not realizing they have to go to this window. Additionally, there are no staff in the main hall near these 'luggage scan check windows' to tell passengers to go to this window.

Additionally if you do go to this window most of the staff inside the scanning room speak no English at all, and all concerned are left confused / frustrated, etc. If passengers do go to this window, there is confusion and some will no doubt just walk away and get on with next steps in departure. If this happens there is no follow up by AOT/airline staff.

Many passengers just start walking from the check-in/boarding pass desk to the next step, the scan of 'carry on luggage'. This is well away from the check-in desk / boarding pass desks.

The check-in girl at my check-in desk spoke very little English, I understood what she had said to the Thai passenger in front of me, and this was confirmed by hearing what the next check-in girl was saying to a Thai passenger.

I proceeded to the luggage scan check window (maybe 15 - 20 steps) and my big bag was sitting on a conveyor belt, the Thai man asked me in Thai if it was my bag. I indicated 'chai khrap', he then told me in Thai that it had passed the scan inspection. Not one word of English.

I did have to wait a few minutes whilst he attempted to spoke to the non-Thai Asian female passenger in front of me. Eventually a Thai passenger helped and the passenger went to another door (not sure why, but I assume there was something wrong in terms of what came up on the scan.)

Who is at fault, IMHO:

- AOT for making such a confusing procedure and for not telling passengers very clearly what to do and for not having a procedure to fairly quickly contact passengers who have clearly not come to this window to check if their carry on bags have passed scanning.

- The airlines, they must be well aware there is a problem and should have put a procedure in place / perhaps a small handout with a photo of the luggage scan check window / a loud speaker alert generated by the actual airline after receiving advice from AOT that some/many of their passengers have bypassed the 'check' window.

Indeed the OP was quite confusing, but with post #23 (@sometimewoodworker) the fog starts to clear.

The discussion about the allowed contents is a topic of its own.

There was already a description of the new baggage check system in DMK in another post.

In earlier times: your baggage was x-rayed before you check in.

Some yellow sticky tape put on and it was cleared.

Then proceed to check-in and all good.

Now it is x-rayed after you have checked in.

This is not really unusual or new compared to any international airport,

BUT: there seems to be some monitor where you can check whether your baggage has passed the x-ray or it has been rejected?

And this is indeed new to me and I guess many fall into a trap here and don't wait for that clearance.

Why they are allowed to board when the baggage was rejected (what I understand from the OP)?

That is a mystery to me.

Its not about new rules but about a changed procedure that seems to be communicated poorly.

That they might have new scanners/staff and detect more of the forbidden stuff: yet another topic.

Edited by KhunBENQ

This is very unusual. Normally, the airport staff will open your luggage and take out the item in question. I've had this happen before. Luckily, it was determined the item in question wasn't dangerous and they put a note in my bag it had been opened and inspected. They cut the lock off and even put it inside my luggage, right on top with the note.

Sure would like more into.

Electronic devices are not allowed to be in baggage that you want to check in, (mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc), luckily mine was spotted by the scanner operator at Don Muang upon entry to the airport and before I checked in so I simply took it out and placed it in my hand luggage.

His obviously wasn't spotted at this stage but was seen at the second scan stage which takes place between you checking it in and it getting loaded onto the aircraft.

The airline in question then simply quarantined the bag and placed the responsibility of retrieving it, along with its electronic contents, to the passenger.

So either the 1st scanner operator was asleep or he did not put his bags through this 1st scan point.

Either way, electronic goods were in the baggage that was checked in, which is not allowed.

These rules are not 'new rules' as my experience took place nearly 12 months ago..

Absolute drivel !

For safety reasons, the following items cannot be taken on to an aircraft. Please do not pack them in either hand baggage or hold luggage.

• Flammable liquids and solids
  • Oxidisers such as bleaching powders
  • Organic peroxides
  • Tear gas devices or any gas cylinders
  • Infectious substances such as live virus materials
  • Wet-cell car batteries
  • Magnetrons. Instruments containing mercury
  • Instruments containing magnets
  • Fireworks and pyrotechnics
  • Non-safety matches
  • Fire lighter, lighter fuel, paints, thinners
  • Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller

Lithium batteries have recently been added to the list.

See here: https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/dg/luggage/brochure.pdf

Nothing to do with T2, and nothing to do with ISIS. IATA DGR (Dangerous Goods Regulations of the International Air Transport Association) apply; lithium batteries have been added due to fire hazard.

Agree and I find it useless to continue in this thread about dangerous goods.

Its about the somewhat "innovative" check-in procedure at T2.

A comparable case at T1 would simply mean that you are stopped before check-in.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have no idea what this means.

At DM for the now reopened terminal 2 there is a change in the way check-in bags are initially scanned:

- Old procedure (at Don Muang terminal 1): you place your bags on the X ray machine, get a sticker on each bag (if bag is passed), then you take you check-in bag to the check-in desk and bags are then put on the conveyor to go the the big bins (after another x-ray check out of sight of passengers), to be loaded ontothe aircraft.

- There is a new and different procedure for all of this at terminal 2, as follows:

- No scan of check-in bags before you deposit your check-in bags at the check-in desk.

- You go straight to the check-in/boarding pass desk and deposit your check-in bags and get your boarding pass.

- Your check-in bags go on the normal conveyor belt between/ behind the check-in desks/staff.

But what people are not realizing is that the check-in bags continue on the conveyor belt just a few metres to an enclosed room at the

end of the check-in row and staff inside that room watch a screen to see if anything inside the bag that is not allowed etc.

There is a window (not all that big) in the wall of this new enclosed room - passengers have to go to this window (after they have done check-in/received boarding pass) and personally check if their check-in bags have passed the scanning.

As I said just above, many passengers are not realizing that they have to go to this window.

My own experience with this:

- The check-in staff girl (one of the local low cost carriers) could speak very little English and was just waving at passengers to go somewhere. Many passengers probably think the check-in staff are just indicating 'now go this direction to the departure areas'.

There are small signs, some just hand written in a few words, in poor and very unclear English near the 'luggage scan check window' to try to tell passengers 'check here if your bag has passed scanning' (these are my expanded words, not the actual words on the small signs).

Many passengers are just not realizing they have to go to this window. Additionally, there are no staff in the main hall near these 'luggage scan check windows' to tell passengers to go to this window.

Additionally if you do go to this window most of the staff inside the scanning room speak no English at all, and all concerned are left confused / frustrated, etc. If passengers do go to this window, there is confusion and some will no doubt just walk away and get on with next steps in departure. If this happens there is no follow up by AOT/airline staff.

Many passengers just start walking from the check-in/boarding pass desk to the next step, the scan of 'carry on luggage'. This is well away from the check-in desk / boarding pass desks.

The check-in girl at my check-in desk spoke very little English, I understood what she had said to the Thai passenger in front of me, and this was confirmed by hearing what the next check-in girl was saying to a Thai passenger.

I proceeded to the luggage scan check window (maybe 15 - 20 steps) and my big bag was sitting on a conveyor belt, the Thai man asked me in Thai if it was my bag. I indicated 'chai khrap', he then told me in Thai that it had passed the scan inspection. Not one word of English.

I did have to wait a few minutes whilst he attempted to spoke to the non-Thai Asian female passenger in front of me. Eventually a Thai passenger helped and the passenger went to another door (not sure why, but I assume there was something wrong in terms of what came up on the scan.)

Who is at fault, IMHO:

- AOT for making such a confusing procedure and for not telling passengers very clearly what to do and for not having a procedure to fairly quickly contact passengers who have clearly not come to this window to check if their carry on bags have passed scanning.

- The airlines, they must be well aware there is a problem and should have put a procedure in place / perhaps a small handout with a photo of the luggage scan check window / a loud speaker alert generated by the actual airline after receiving advice from AOT that some/many of their passengers have bypassed the 'check' window.

Great post and a very good explanation of both the procedure and the issue.

I did a bag drop at AirAsia counter only 4 days ago. After waiting over an hour in line to simply do the bag drop (had done online checkin at home) the counter girl printed my boarding pass and that was it.

I had no idea I needed to check the screen and make sure my bag was ok, nor did I see any sign whatsoever directing me to do so.

There is staff at the mobile checkin counters (though from what I could see everyone of them was wearing a Trainee vest) who may or may not be telling people to watch the screen after bag drop.

It's possible I simply missed it but all I can remember seeing and being directed to was a card on the counter stating what was not allowed in checked baggage.

I had no issue with my bag thankfully but it certainly would have made for a "different" trip to CM had there been.

Great post and a very good explanation of both the procedure and the issue.

Agree.

That hits the nail.

I went through check in at BKK very recently, and they made a point of asking me if I had any batteries in my luggage.

I am getting a feeling it has to do with the airline you use, and whether their check-in staff is properly trained and explains it to the passengers in English.

I wonder which airline the OP was using.

Terminal 2 at Don Mueang international airport reopened its doors on Thursday, with the operation running smoothly, except for some hiccups involving support facilities. GALLERY: Terminal 2 atmosphere...

Since inline screening was used on baggage, passengers who had already received boarding passes had to wait 15-20 seconds for their baggage to be scanned before boarding. Some passengers did not understand...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism-and-transport/805476/don-mueang-terminal-2-reopens. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

I once had a "Seinfeld" moment with this particular airlines. Got to the counter and they told me the plane was full I had to wait for the next flight.....

"Excuse me? I have a reservation, here is my CONFIRMATION NUMBER, confirms I have a seat on this flight".

"Sorry Sir, flight is full next flight in two hours" Ends up they had a flight cancellation earlier in the day and just moved everyone onto the next flights......

"You see, you know how to take the reservation, but you do not know how to hold the reservation, the holding being the most important part".

I told them I was going to the gate and going to board that flight no matter what, they made me sign a waiver and I flew backwards in a stewardess jump seat in the back of the plane.

Will not EVER flight that airlines again.

How NokAir describes it.

"enter Hold Baggage Screening Room" (?).

http://nokair.com/content/en/travel-info/check-in/airport-check-in.aspx

attachicon.gifnokair.jpg

I flew NOK Air from DM to CM after T2 was recently re-opened.

I obviously missed this e-mail from NOK air.

On the other hand, NOK now sends so many e-mail promotion messages, especially to NOK Fan Club members, that I don't open many of their numerous messages.

Typical Thailand again, screwing people like this, Sorry OP, you have my sympathy.

I always try and stick up for Thailand, but things like this make it very hard.

and to the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade, just run along.

I once had a "Seinfeld" moment with this particular airlines. Got to the counter and they told me the plane was full I had to wait for the next flight.....

"Excuse me? I have a reservation, here is my CONFIRMATION NUMBER, confirms I have a seat on this flight".

"Sorry Sir, flight is full next flight in two hours" Ends up they had a flight cancellation earlier in the day and just moved everyone onto the next flights......

"You see, you know how to take the reservation, but you do not know how to hold the reservation, the holding being the most important part".

I told them I was going to the gate and going to board that flight no matter what, they made me sign a waiver and I flew backwards in a stewardess jump seat in the back of the plane.

Did they check the boarding passes against the passengers ID card / passport at the gate?

This airline (and others in Thailand, and other countries too of course) are notorious for not checking / not properly checking this.

On a recent trip to Ho Chi Minh City every passenger gave their passport with boarding pass inside the passport to the gate staff person, with small slip / coupon stapled to the boarding pass and sitting above the level of the top of the passport.

Gate staff didn't open the passports, they just ripped off the small coupon and 'next'.

This is very unusual. Normally, the airport staff will open your luggage and take out the item in question. I've had this happen before. Luckily, it was determined the item in question wasn't dangerous and they put a note in my bag it had been opened and inspected. They cut the lock off and even put it inside my luggage, right on top with the note.

Sure would like more into.

Either way, electronic goods were in the baggage that was checked in, which is not allowed.

Well this is news to me. I guess not many people will leave a laptop or tablet in check-in baggage anyway, but I have on several occassion left a backup mobile phone with my check-in baggage and never had a problem.

Just curious, why are electronics not allowed to be checked in?? I may have missed it but I don't think I ever recall the check in operator ask if I had electronic goods or computers etc.

Most peculiar: I flew into Suvarnabhumi from the YUK just over a month ago. I had a "cabin bag" stuffed full of electronics, batteries etc. At Manchester I was told my "cabin bag" was overweight (1 or 2kg) and had to be hold baggage. I had to pay for another bag - not just an overweight of 2kg - and it all went in the hold. Diferent country different rules I know: but I had a dismounted HDD, a USB HDD, battery alarm clocks, transformers, cables etc. IMO all a (terrorist) risk for hold baggage which is why I was carrying it in cabin baggage so's it could be inspected.

I went through check in at BKK very recently, and they made a point of asking me if I had any batteries in my luggage.

Jetstar at Suvarnabhumi are now doing this. Until a month ago I had never specifically been asked about batteries when checking in, but now twice in the last month. I only had a small 2600 mAh power bank but was told to put it in my carry-on.

holiday not ruined!!!! you spent it with the ones you love!!!! 555555

once in china they told me they lost a critical piece of luggage....no clue where it was. then i got to BKK and it was there....

so i know how you feel for about 6 hours.....

but life happens...

it's only money!!!!!!

coffee1.gif

well , you have no problem talking about OPM , do you also spend OPM .... I think so ....................

This thread has nothing to do with a particular airlines and everything to do with new baggage check in procedures as the thread title plainly states

I would like to add a retort to your statement above....do you think you were the only passenger affected by the previous flight cancellation? No, it affected probably several 1000 people both on your flight and others.

Its obvious you do not really understand the process of flying except for in your own 3 ft bubble world. SMDH

When you fly in North America they want your batteries carried in your hand luggage.

(So the ends can't accidently come into contact with any metal causing rapid discharge

releasing heat and fire) When you land in England they want your batteries carried in your

checked luggage so cant take the batteries, hook them together and cause a fire

onboard the plane. Bottom line, don't carry batteries, on planes you are asking for

trouble. Keep electronics to a minimum, and carry them in hand luggage. If you can,

wait for your checked luggage to be x-rayed and cleared. That is my experience traveling

from Canada to Thailand last August. coffee1.gif