Air India flight turns back after rat spotted on board

webfact

Air India flight turns back after rat spotted on board

LONDON: -- A plane travelling from Mumbai to London was forced to turn back mid-flight after a rat was spotted on board, local media report.

Flight AI 131 travelling to London on Wednesday was flying over Iran when someone on board said they spotted the rodent, reports said.

Passengers continued their journey on a replacement aircraft some time later. Air India has said that the plane will be fumigated and the presence of a rodent was being investigated.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35203731

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-31

Do the flight attendants still spray disinfectant throughout the cabin during the approach to land in India? I am not joking.

Against my better judgement many years ago my company booked me on an Air India Hong Kong to Mumbai flight.

Most eventful / disturbing flight I've ever taken. Some passengers carried TV sets in boxes into the cabin and sat there with TV in box on their laps for the full flight, some boxes, bags bigger than the seat width and occupying some of the seat width of the next seat.

And worst of all, one family sat in the aisle and unpacked their food including a small primus stove for cooking. Steward had to get very angry to remove the stove. Many other passengers tried to insist the family with the stove weren't doing anything wrong. Cabin staff very arrogant.

Do the flight attendants still spray disinfectant throughout the cabin during the approach to land in India? I am not joking.

Against my better judgement many years ago my company booked me on an Air India Hong Kong to Mumbai flight.

Most eventful / disturbing flight I've ever taken. Some passengers carried TV sets in boxes into the cabin and sat there with TV in box on their laps for the full flight, some boxes, bags bigger than the seat width and occupying some of the seat width of the next seat.

And worst of all, one family sat in the aisle and unpacked their food including a small primus stove for cooking. Steward had to get very angry to remove the stove. Many other passengers tried to insist the family with the stove weren't doing anything wrong. Cabin staff very arrogant.

Jeez......That sounds awful.

If it is true it is quite a dangerous thing and will take a massive amount of inspection to find it or where it is residing. Their palette is quite partial to electric wiring!

Killing it possible but difficult. Finding it, no chance, and if there in one there is likely more. facepalm.gif

This happened all over the world several years ago when most of the airlines used 727 aircraft.When cleaning the aircraft at night the aft ramp was left down and field rats ( airports are in a large field area) would come in .In the 80s most airlines began to leave the ramps about a foot off the ground eliminating the problem.If this was the Asian airlines having crew problems lately ( crashes and missing airplanes) I would say that the rotents were found on the flight deck.

...someone on board said.....

...could they have been mistaken.....or....who knows...

as mentioned above - the wiring needs to be thoroughly checked anyway (at least once )

I sometimes wonder if Thai airways is infested - it is getting rarer and rarer to be seated with a working entertainment screen and or headphones these days. One careless kick of the giant box under the seat will cause it to give up, especially on the lovingly preserved 330s and 747s.

I've never used Air India but I have seen this done before. It might have been on Jet Airways which I've flown with a few times.

The good news is that on the same day this happened I booked a flight from London to Bangkok on Air India.

If it was mid-flight, why turn back?

It was closer to Bombay than to London. Also, it might be easier and cheaper to sort out at a home airport.

Not to mention the possibility of delivering pestilence. That's what this incident is all about.