Documents/Requirements for Marriage Extension

Tywais

This is probably a moving target, but there have been requests for a topic specific to extension requirements based on marriage. The below is what I've found for the requirements and documents. Members with recent experience or wish to expand on this please add to this topic.

To apply for your visa extension based on marriage to a Thai national, you need to prepare and submit the following:

• Application form T.M. 7
  • 1 photograph (4x6cm)
  • Copy of passport, especially Non-Immigrant visa and TM6 arrival/departure card
  • Visa extension fee 1900 THB
  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if married in another country, a letter of evidence is required from your embassy as well)
  • Copy of Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration or long tabian) from amphoe office, dated not older than 6 months from issue of copy
  • Children’s birth certificates (if applicable)
  • Copy of spouse’s house registration
  • Copy of spouse’s identity card
  • Proof of income of 40,000THB/month or over for the previous 3 months (income tax records PDN1. forms, pension documentation, proof of income through investments, work permit, etc. or 400k in bank seasoned for 2 months. Can not be a joint account.

Links to police orders.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=278456
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280314

Edited by Tywais
Added the 400k requirement and corrected 40k
  • Like 2

The final point about "income" may not be accurate.

The financial requirements for an extension of stay based on marriage are

1) 400,000 Bht in a Thai Bank in the applicants name

OR

2) Income of 40,00 Bht/month evidenced by an Embassy letter or, if employed Thai tax certificates.

Hold on.... combined income?

I always thought it has to be applicant's income.

So that means if your wife makes 40,000 a month and you make nothing you will get extension?

It would be nice if I didn't have to exchange 400k at this crappy exchange rate,

edit.... I just read the reply. Applicant or combined?

Hold on.... combined income?

I always thought it has to be applicant's income.

I have now corrected that based on Ubonjoes feedback. May take a few days to get all the information settled in. Would like to see a member with current experience outline all documents and requirements he was required to submit. My extension is based on work so have no experience with marriage or retirement extensions so bear with me as I get the information current. smile.png

• Like 1

wwhilst on this topic. I am thinking of changing from a retirement Visa to a marriage Visa. The main question is the 400k is for two months or three months. Because of course in the past I've had to keep the 800 K in the bank for three months.I want to free this money up.

I am disabled and I'm not sure if I can make it to the immigration again because I have deep vein thrombosis and I have to keep my legs up. So I can't be sitting in the car or sitting in emigration waiting.however, last time they were quite cooperative and I waited in the car. They came and took my photo whilst I had our caregiver friend presenting all the paperwork it really was no problem. But of course this was for retirement Visa. So I'm wondering what procedure they would be for a marriage Visa. Another problem is that my wife is not well. She is quite old and I don't know whether she can go to the immigration Department. Fortunately, we have a caregiver who looks after us both and drives us around. We got married 45 years ago outside of Thailand but did not register our marriage in Thailand until about five years ago..

Any suggestions how I should go about this matter would be much appreciated I really am in no shape to go through all this rigmarole with a marriage Visa. And now I have insufficient funds for retirement Visa

Whilst copies are needed, two generally, its important to have in your hand the original marriage certif/original passports/original kor ror/bank books. we were sent home for the marriage certificate.

A lot of the things we copied just in case were ripped up.....photo of us together during Loy Krathong, a second photo of us infront of the house gates, and all my passport page copies that were prior to my last visa stamp.

you will need the TM28? also, we were sent to get it whilst we were being seen.

• "Copy of your marriage certificate (if married in another country, a letter of evidence is required from your embassy as well)"

I thank you will fine that a foreign marriage document has to be motorized by your embassy/consulate and then register with the MFA at which time you may then go to your local amphur and have your marriage registered. You will then be given a Koh Roh 22 which you give to immigration. A KR 2 is for marriage inside Thailand and a KR 22 is a foreign marriage outside Thailand. Most immigration will require you to submit 3 photos of you and your wife about your house and one of these must show your address.

Edited by khwaibah

The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months for all extension applications.

From clause 2.18 of police order.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Utter Bastards....

apparently (after a 5 hour wait) 24th Dec to 24th Feb is not 2 months!

Go away, go bank get new letter

come back tomorrow and queue aging 5 hours

And I could have sworn blind it was 60 days anyway and not 2 months, but i can't find the evidence anywhere, certainly their website doesn't state a time period....

Utter utter bastards

edited for typo

Edited by DavidOxon
  • Like 1

Utter Bastards....

apparently (after a 5 hour wait) 24th Dec to 24th Feb is not 2 months!

Go away, go bank get new letter

come back tomorrow and queue aging 5 hours

And I could have sworn blind it was 60 days anyway and not 2 months, but i can't find the evidence anywhere, certainly their website doesn't state a time period....

Using timeanddate calculator.

From and including: Thursday, 24 December 2015

To and including: Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Result: 63 days

It is 63 days from the start date to the end date, end date included

Or 2 months, 1 day including the end date

My wife was chatting to the couple before us. They were only processed because of 3000 baht under the table.

The various desks opened between 8.30 and 8.50. there were a lot of activity and people seen, but no numbers changed for at least an hour.... so it also seems there is some sort of priority system operating too....

• 2 weeks later...

Is this done at Promenada or the old location?

Cheers,

DN

I'll answer it myself. Year extensions based on marriage are done at the airport office not Promenada. And can only be done in the last 30 days of the visa's validity. I had 2.5 months left as per last stamp (but only 2 weeks on the actual visa). so i was sent away with my tail between my legs. This is fine for folks that just stay put here but i need to move in and out often. So its off to Lao for a new visa soon, sigh.

Cheers,

DN

I'll answer it myself. Year extensions based on marriage are done at the airport office not Promenada. And can only be done in the last 30 days of the visa's validity. I had 2.5 months left as per last stamp (but only 2 weeks on the actual visa). so i was sent away with my tail between my legs. This is fine for folks that just stay put here but i need to move in and out often. So its off to Lao for a new visa soon, sigh.

Which "Visa" are you talking about ?

Do you have a currently valid "Visa" or an "extension of stay" (which is not a Visa)

Cheers,

DN

Which "Visa" are you talking about ?

Do you have a currently valid "Visa" or an "extension of stay" (which is not a Visa)

The only way you can get a year extension based on marriage is if you already have a non immigrant visa. I have too much remaining on mine, sigh. Problem is when i travel out i will lose the whole thing soon, this seemed to go over their heads there. They were just students on work experience after all. Sigh

Edited by DaamNaam

Your visa won't run out, it's been extended! Date on my Visa is October 2007... It has run out, but the extension I get yearly keeps it current. Is that not so with yours?.... reentry permit stops the need to start again when coming back into the country.

Add (edit in perhaps) to the above

Map to the home, I do a google map but one year was told to make a hand drawn one.

Photos of the home, entrance showing house number, etc

Photos of the couple.

Combines income can be 400k seasoned for 3 months (2 months first application).

Notes from recent extensions.

Passport copies.. Usually want the initial visa issued and each and every extension from then to the current period.

Kor Ror 2.. I have been using the same one for 5 year, got a new one this year as instructed and was told not needed.

Photos.. Each officer says something different.. One wanted wedding shots, another wanted shots this year. A friend in a different province said they demanded house photos inside the home, sitting on the marital bed, and wanted photos of household appliances / purchases etc.

Tywais. What you posted is correct. I tend to make duplicates of all originals of everything, I carry my passport, original marriage certificate, Aphur certified Kor 2, and my term bank book. I carry current pictures taken of wife and I at the gate of the house with the address between us and the house in the background, a picture inside the home on the bed, a picture inside the home on the sofa (same locations every year but current), I carry pictures of my son's wedding, my son's ordination, my ordination, and pictures with friends and family in the village.

I peruse the TV immigration site for threads over the last year detailing TV member's experiences with marriage extensions that don't fit what should be routine and the norm, I note them, and prepare accordingly.

I've found that they will ask you for everything you don't have and will return to you what you do have if you are over-prepared (for example: on one side of my map is a Google map print-out, on the other side and map hand drawn by the wife - give them one, they ask for the other, flip the paper over, Bob's your Uncle). However, I've bagged it in this year and I'm having a vista agent do the headache (more as a result of the online queue system being pulled). Having done my own for the last five years, and having five years of watching the disparity between interviewing I/Os, I'll just carry what I usually carry - extra copies of things they shouldn't request, but will if they choose to make life difficult for you. I don't want to make more than one trip. The less time I spend inside of an Immigration Office, especially here in CM, the better. My strategy is simple: over-prepared, be prepared for anything, shut up and let the wife talk. This year, I'll have a visa agent and my wife between me and the I/O. The less I say the better.

And to stay in the spirit of this thread, I'll write up my visit observations and post for others after my appointment.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

wwhilst on this topic. I am thinking of changing from a retirement Visa to a marriage Visa. The main question is the 400k is for two months or three months. Because of course in the past I've had to keep the 800 K in the bank for three months.I want to free this money up.

I am disabled and I'm not sure if I can make it to the immigration again because I have deep vein thrombosis and I have to keep my legs up. So I can't be sitting in the car or sitting in emigration waiting.however, last time they were quite cooperative and I waited in the car. They came and took my photo whilst I had our caregiver friend presenting all the paperwork it really was no problem. But of course this was for retirement Visa. So I'm wondering what procedure they would be for a marriage Visa. Another problem is that my wife is not well. She is quite old and I don't know whether she can go to the immigration Department. Fortunately, we have a caregiver who looks after us both and drives us around. We got married 45 years ago outside of Thailand but did not register our marriage in Thailand until about five years ago..

Any suggestions how I should go about this matter would be much appreciated I really am in no shape to go through all this rigmarole with a marriage Visa. And now I have insufficient funds for retirement Visa

Employ a visa agent, or perhaps better, a lawyer. Have the lawyer act as your agent to represent you. Get documents from your local doctor specifying that neither you or your wife can travel and your lawyer will be representing you. If they force the issue, hire an ambulance and have them wheel you and your wife into the office on gurneys in front of news media.

And good luck going from a retirement to a marriage extension. I've heard that is difficult, but you may want to run that past Ubonjoe in the TV main Immigration sub-forum.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No, I mean the letter you have to get from the bank for immigration, stating you have the amount of money on the account the day before you apply for the extension and includes the time for how long you have the bank account. I've had it happen in BKK that a particular SCB branch had no idea what I needed from them, so had to show them an example of the text needed.

Immigration may also require a bank certified statement of transactions/balances for the last 3 months. Copy of bankbook was not enough last year as there were some accumulated transactions when you don't update the book for a while (I think they put all together in one printed line after 3 months).

• Like 1

I've been getting the bank letter from SCB here in Chiangmai for Immigration for years and have never had a problem having them understand what I've wanted. Just tell them you want the bank letter for Immigration - they'll very likely immediately understand what you want (they have a template form on their machine).

One weird thing, though, is I can only get that bank letter from the branch where I opened the account (the other branches won't do it for me). They also (like other banks, I'm told) charge about 200 baht for issuing the letter.