• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Phuket city hails Unesco's designation

rooster59

Phuket city hails Unesco's designation

PHUKET: Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana attributed the success in winning the inclusion into Unesco's Creative Cities Network to several parties from the ministries of Culture and Education, to educational institutions in the province and others.

"We submitted the proposal for the sake of the entire province. Phuket is a multi-cultural province, embracing multi-ethnics and religions but enjoying peaceful coexistence for over 150 years," she said.

On December 11, Unesco designated 47 cities from 33 countries as new members of its Creative Cities Network. Phuket, designated for its gastronomy, is the first city in Asean to be represented in the network.

The Creative Cities Network is currently formed by 116 Members from 54 countries covering seven creative fields: Crafts & Folk Art, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Literature, Music and Media Arts.

Somjai said that Phuket’s multi-cultural aspect is the first of five reasons of the designation. Second, food is a major part of rituals and represents the local people’s lifestyle. Third, several dishes cannot be found elsewhere as the recipes are passed on only to family members. Fourth, public and private organisations as well as education institutions show firm cooperation in food innovation. Fifth, Phuket people have commanded hospitality, willing to share experiences with other cities in the network.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Phuket-city-hails-Unescos-designation-30276015.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-02

"We submitted the proposal for the sake of the entire province. Phuket is a multi-cultural province, embracing multi-ethnics and religions but enjoying peaceful coexistence for over 150 years,"

Phuket runs counter to "Thainess," largely thanks to all the foreign population. Imagine what Thailand as a whole could become in terms of a first class nation if 25% of its population consisted of foreign immigrants?

Nothing on the UNESCO website about this.

Congratulations to Phuket but gormet cuisine, fine dining. Ummmh. Not in my experience. Would love to know where theses restaurants are. I can't find anywhere to get something I can't make for myself for a tenth of the price. And, in my experience the food's usually cold, the service is far from fine dining and the plate is usually only 7 inches. If I find something gormet it's at western prices. Not a Mitchelen star anywhere in Phuket.

Live in hope.