Lifan 200gy report

AllanB

The Lifan is now pretty much run in and I would like to update y'all on my findings so far, warts and all.

When I first bought the bike, everything was very tight, the clutch and gearbox especially and I have to say I was not impressed, however, now things have improved a lot.

Haven't done a long trip yet, so all the km have been around town, with the odd 40km round trip to the in-laws.

Pros:- Solo the bike is really nice to ride, with a high riding position and power enough for me around town, the bike is very nippy in the traffic and the engine seems to pull in almost any gear once the bike is actually moving. Those troublesome potholes and speed bumps are a thing of the past, I just lift my backside and fly over them, a pure joy. Where they are digging up the road, I am off and gone leaving everything else in my wake, by taking any route I damn well please on any particular day of their work. The crazy kids fly past me on the road, but I get them back with interest in the do-doos.

Cons:- Two up the bike is less of a pleasure, the extra weight messes up the handling, the engine is less willing and gear-changing, well it is sometimes difficult. The front brake works okay but is badly engineered and needs replacing, so looking into what Jap bike brake is interchangeable. The original PDI left a lot to be desired and had to do it myself, so at least I know it is done. The seat was really cheaply covered, but 400 baht soon fixed that, however, given that I intend to tour on this bike, I feel I didn't go far enough with the mod. It is still too narrow for my fat arse to be properly comfortable. It is not at all happy with 91 octanes, the book says minimum 93, so now with 95/91 in the big tank we are both much happier.

I will know better about the bike after a MHS trip planned, but the bike sit's easily on my truck, so at least that part of the plan works. Two up on the hills and twisties?... well we shall see.

It isn't a Honda CRF, but at 46,000 baht it is around 1/3rd the price and two up I am not sure how good a CRF would be...and the Lifan is properly fun. Snob value is pretty much zero, so I would put that in the "Pros" category.

Still deciding between MHS and Nan province for the trip next week......

KLX dual-pot with custom bracket works tits on the front.

Rear started acting up so did same there.

Especially important if 2-up on hills, guess.

I was hoping someone would remind me of the Jap upgrade, will change them both. I remember my time in the Laos mountains, brakes were so important two up on that little bike, even using low gears. The Lifan pads are not that wonderful either, so it will be good to get rid of them too.

Cheers for that, are the hydraulic connections the same, is it a straight bolt-on swap?