tiny house on wheels

papayasalad

Sorry..not an answer to your question..

has anybidy built an house boat and what are the ramifications..

pls only those who actually have investigated/experienced..

Haven't built a house boat, but have had my own boat in Chao Praya for 4 years

I would think a house boat would just be classified as a boat by the Marine Departement.

You would need a licence/license (from the Marine Departement) to drive it, not difficult to get.

You would need to register the boat with the Marine Department and obtain a Tabian Ruua, (boat registration book).

Costs a couple of thousand bahts, involves a surveyor measuring the boat and checking out the boat and the engine installation

and taking photographs.

The name of the boat has to be checked and cleared as unique, (in your province I think).

Thats about it.

• Like 1

Here's some ideas for DIY:

biggrin.png

Can't see that one getting through the first low lying Power Line that crosses many roads. My Power goes off enough as it is. Surely we don't want thousands of Thais driving around with weapons like this. But good if you are an Electric Generator Salesman I suppose.

Being mobile they dont need council approval

Thais don't like farang getting one over on their xenophobic rules. Or anything else for that matter. :D

Rocking up to a Thai neighborhood or village and planting one's shack there might not end well for one's shack. :D

A friend of mine has a hobby of making wooden boats here (long wooden khlong boats). He has to keep them hidden because the Thais with their boats on the khlongs destroy them.

Coming onto a group of Thai's turf is often not best welcomed.

you can not go against progress. if people got a better way to live and not have to borrow, they will build tiny houses all around the country. that s the only way to save yourself from these banksters. tiny house will soon come to Thailand. you can have the same surface than a shoe box condo. and on wheel. rent a grass strip. Park your house and enjoy life. any problem? loud music or shit neighbour , move it.

Edited by papayasalad

Movable tiny houses are called "knock-downs". Caravans and travel trailers are unknown here.

To be sure: Thai Ladies / GF are opposed to "knock-downs". It would mean, that a Farang can legally and physically move part of his assets away from the "Family Property". Heaven forbid !

That explains, why so few Farangs are allowed to build a "knock-down" by order of Thai wife / GF.

Cheers.

I thought that until a few weeks back. We passed a caravan dealer on the road back from Nakhon Sawan. if I remember right it was on the No 32 just south of where the No 1 forked to the left. We were travelling quite fast so it was just a glance but they looked like UK tourers to me. I used to work for the caravan industry.

In the UK caravans are classed as tourers, statics or park homes. Tourers are towed behind vehicles, statics have wheels and can be moved, normally by low loader, but are normally sited with electricity and mains drainage. Park homes are in fact sectional buildings but they are regulated by the Caravan Council.

The self drive types are normally referred to as camper vans for the smaller versions and mobile homes being the larger. You can also get trailer tents, a small trailer for towing behind a car that opens up into a large tent with a cooker and seating in the trailer part.

Note that vehicles that are often called RVs in the US often have twin rear wheels.

You cannot drive that with an ordinary Thai car drivers lic. This lic. is valid for 4 wheels only.

You would have a fairly hard time getting a Thai lic. good for more than 4 wheels, I think.

(have tried, in vain, for a few years)

I watched the tiny house on TV and many leave after a year. Just too small you and Ms are in each others way. Not for me. I would go nuts living in one of them. I rather have a motor home but I have not seen them here. Probably because they don't have facilities for hook ups.

"tiny houses are the next big thing"

doesn't matter what you guys say, tiny houses are here to stay. not because people want it , it's because people can not afford a bigger house and/or don't want become a slave of a monthly mortgage.

it 's not normal that a house costs over 1 million, when it s just wood, sink, shower, tiles and a few miserable bricks glued with cement .

this house market is a udge scam perpetuated by our parent, constructor buildings. based on a fake idea that :"everybody must have a house ".

in UK, a guy told me he bought his house 25'000£ 50 years ago, now it worths over 400'000£

I prefer be free that being stuck in Same place all my life because I can not move my roof around and become a sheep of these banksters. live tiny is the way to go.

Edited by papayasalad
  • Like 1

Note that vehicles that are often called RVs in the US often have twin rear wheels.

You cannot drive that with an ordinary Thai car drivers lic. This lic. is valid for 4 wheels only.

You would have a fairly hard time getting a Thai lic. good for more than 4 wheels, I think.

(have tried, in vain, for a few years)

Does not even need to be dual wheels AFAIK.

Thai guy at my work purchased a jetski and trailer. He went to the LTD to upgrade his ordinary car licence so that he was legal to tow it.

"tiny houses are the next big thing"

doesn't matter what you guys say, tiny houses are here to stay. not because people want it , it's because people can not afford a bigger house and/or don't want become a slave of a monthly mortgage.

it 's not normal that a house costs over 1 million, when it s just wood, sink, shower, tiles and a few miserable bricks glued with cement .

this house market is a udge scam perpetuated by our parent, constructor buildings. based on a fake idea that :"everybody must have a house ".

in UK, a guy told me he bought his house 25'000£ 50 years ago, now it worths over 400'000£

I prefer be free that being stuck in Same place all my life because I can not move my roof around and become a sheep of these banksters. live tiny is the way to go.

Or you know, just rent.

Why are people so obsessed with owning a house, anyway?

because they are cute... I lived in a tiny house in the mountain, people say it's so small, in fact it was a big place because I spent most of the day outside in nature (forest, snow,...) instead to be stuck on a sofa watching TV.

I like this one :

Edited by papayasalad

Movable tiny houses are called "knock-downs". Caravans and travel trailers are unknown here.

To be sure: Thai Ladies / GF are opposed to "knock-downs". It would mean, that a Farang can legally and physically move part of his assets away from the "Family Property". Heaven forbid !

That explains, why so few Farangs are allowed to build a "knock-down" by order of Thai wife / GF.

Cheers.

slightly incorrect ... although not 'well known' here ... travel trailers is the American name equivalent to a caravan. A knock-down is a thai style wooden bungalow that is built and transported to site by truck.

Thailand does have caravans & even a 5th wheeler that I seen on the highway a few hours nth of BKK.

I took this pic but it's difficult to see ... if you look closely you may see a couple of caravans in the background and there is a Montana brand 5th wheeler ...which is pretty amazing for thailand , probably imported from the US.

post-48292-0-17952200-1452838080_thumb.j

I've been interested in them for a long time. Shipping container homes to. Would love a decent motorhome here but costs importing one would probably be ridiculous.

While easy to convert into a working/living place, shipping containers have a few drawbacks to consider in terms of quality of life:

- marine paint is high in toxic chemicals in order to withstand ocean corrosive environment

- wooden floor has been equally treated with loads of substances to achieve long term resistance to insects, moisture, load weight, repetitive (un)loading cycles, content leakages...

- steel is among the worst performing materials in terms of insulation; both for noise and temperature

And weight is also something to consider the day you decide to move it: a 40ft container is around 4 tons and will require a large crane for any move

We use one as a safety box for our company tools but I wouldn't live in it.

Is the real name not a caravan?

Sorry SB, you beat me to it.

British: caravan

American: mobile home

Redneck: trailer (as in "trailer trash")

A "motor home" (American English) is a home with a motor (duh). You don't pull it. You drive it.

RV: Covers travel trailers, motor homes, caravans, all-terrain vehicles--3-wheel & 4-wheel, etc. Pretty wide category.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

A "motor home" (American English) is a home with a motor (duh). You don't pull it. You drive it.

RV: Covers travel trailers, motor homes, caravans, all-terrain vehicles--3-wheel & 4-wheel, etc. Pretty wide category.

Note quite. caravan is a generic term.

The NCC(National Caravan Council) puts it like this.

"The caravan industry is very diverse and there are four distinct product sectors that fall under the statutory definition of a caravan:-"

http://www.thencc.org.uk/images/industrypics.png

Note quite. caravan is a generic term.

The NCC(National Caravan Council) puts it like this.

"The caravan industry is very diverse and there are four distinct product sectors that fall under the statutory definition of a caravan:-"

http://www.thencc.org.uk/images/industrypics.png

Thanks for the clarification.

Check out this company out of Pattaya. Closest mobile trailer I have seen here in Thailand built like they make in the U.S. Detract-able trailer hitch setup for when you park it & has wheels for towing. They say they can make anything you want. www.orestone.co ( Not com)

Our dipsht neighbors thought they knew how to build mobile park homes(Trailer trash) & they neglected to have wheels & had 2 cranes lift the container houses of with real mild steel on cement post blocks. both units the roofs tore off & the front house(looks like a doll house) they forgot to weld a piece of iron on the front of the roof so when they lifted it it came crashing down on the truck holding it. Thai made compared to a foreigner constructed build. Now the 2 units are trailer trash that they dumped off at the land. The other option is to buy the container yourself get a heavy duty truck straight axle & fabricate a frame & add a removable hitch set up. That can be built for about 1/3 of the cost.

Good luck I sure couldn't do it. My huge ass Winnebago would have been to small for My gal & I. Not enough space to hide when you don't care to be in the same room! LOL.

But this company looks like they have a clue. No idea about the price but if your not building it yourself expect 200,000 up for the mobile set up.

Edited by Beardog

img_8508_555ef744e087c337f3dc6620.jpg

This could probably be a farang owned house.

NOW you're talking-=----- Love it-------- where is it ?clap2.gifclap2.gif

the pic was just something I found on www

but there are houseboats in LoS, in the Kanchanaburi area you find quite a few

there are also some in Saraburi and Lopburi

mostly used as "hotels"

I've seen many pickup trucks in Thailand, but I have almost never seen a ball hitch attached to the back of the vehicle for towing caravans or utility trailers for transporting goods, etc.

I have also seen very few utility trailers, which I would assume would be popular in Thailand.

They're must be a reason for this, and it isn't because my sight is going bad.

I've seen many pickup trucks in Thailand, but I have almost never seen a ball hitch attached to the back of the vehicle for towing caravans or utility trailers for transporting goods, etc.

I have also seen very few utility trailers, which I would assume would be popular in Thailand.

They're must be a reason for this, and it isn't because my sight is going bad.

A few years ago, when asked about applicable regulations in order to get a trailer (new model) allowed on the road, an official told me that a file had to be presented by a registered engineer to the Transportation Ministry where it would be decided if such a model should be allowed or not according to... their opinion of the day.

We know what it means every time a local official opinion is the key to any decision

I guess such a blur process is the reason why trailers are so rare here.

• Like 1

Having been around Thailand for about 12 years, I can count the number of private trailers I have seen on one hand.

Even small commercial trailers are not very common. I saw one the other day hauling a small backhoe, rolling along at 30 km/h, and from the looks of it I would not have wanted to pull it even that fast. Somehow I think that one was not Transport Ministry approved.

• 6 months later...

hello, i have checked and caravans are difficult to find and expensive in thailand, so a tiny house on wheels is the best choice, but not sure that it's possible to find one ready to use, maybe need to buy the house and the wheels separately ?

please help with more information.

• Like 1