British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

A guy lost his life.

Accidental or not, time will reveal.

I cannot understand why every thread resorts to a personal pi55ing contest between Thai haters and apologists regardless of the OP topic.

Would be great to have a thread that just shows sympathy and concern.

My thoughts are with the family.

Whilst I have every sympathy for relatives and friends of Luke, no mourning and keeping shut will prevent this happening again.

My suspicions here are the usual formalities of a press conference with the usual pointing and a few facts never happened, and a injury believed to be caused by barbed wire? can it be similar to those inflicted by a Sharks Tooth Ring?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

I would recommend you to send this message to Jonathan Head. Or maybe better even to CSiLA.

Whether the post is genuine or not you need to learn some respect

Until it's verified as being genuine, the poster called Maria Miller should be ignored as being a troll.

I am pleased that someone else has taken a similar view. I also found it unusual that this person, who purports to be the sister of the deceased, writes in such an inflammatory manner, thus giving rise to more and more hate posts, speculation and further criticism of the police and has elected to do so on an annoymous forum. I see this person was asked to put their details on their FB page but declined to do so as the family is grieving. The reason provided for not doing so I find paltry to say the least, as they took time to raise it on TVF, yet some have appeared to accept that reasoning. I can't, seeing that they have elected to use this type of carriage service for the specific purpose of what I believe is to inflame the situation as it would be a given for it to reach more readers than they'd get if it was on FB.

Firstly, what does this person hope to achieve through this forum, all I can see is that it is greating more hysteria, with people dreaming up all sorts of conclusions. murder, conspiracies, the involvement of the so called Island mafia, various assaults, being bashed and thrown into a pool, the list goes on, I won't expand because it is there for all to see. As for them declining to list the details on FB, I find unusual to say the least, as if they were to acknowledge their bona fides in this manner, then maybe one could find that the post is genuine but then again people are able to put up fake FB pages, aren't they? At this time, I am with you on the troll situation.

So this person gives out a email address, so what, proves absolutely nothing, does not substantiate for one minute that they are who they say they are. Anyone can have numerous email addresses but because they say this is who they it is being accepted by many. After having read numerous past posts, mainly from those people who want to denegrate Thailand, its people, the police, the laws, it strikes me as bearing a similar hate stirring message with multiple allegations of suspicion and wrong doings.

For many posters to go into overdrive and posting their infantile guesses, rumours and innuendos and giving out sympathic messages not knowing who they are dealing with just shows how gullible some can be. If I am criticised for being callous, then so be it but until this person can prove who they are and that they are the real deal, I cannot accept that in such a time of grief, that some one would come onto an anonymous forum, with what I believe is an attempt to inflame an already worsening situation. If I am proved to be wrong then I will be the first to appologise.

One other matter also caught my eye in this person's response to a poster, who initially advised that they should contact Jonathan Head. Now, I do not know if it was a Fraudian Slip but they referred to him as Richard Head. We all know what this means in the terms of general slang. May mean nothing but there is a huge difference between the two christian names.

I agree. It seems very odd (co-incidental) indeed that a grieving relative suddenly appears on TV, also full of accusations of wrongdoing and subterfuge.... Not really the first place someone would think to come for information in such a situation, or to raise awareness of any perceived miscarriage of justice - and to be fair that process has not even begun yet.

Also very odd that the posts made in the name of Maria Miller from the IoW were made between 3.00 and 3.30am in the morning GMT...... A time when people are more likely to be awake either in the US or, dare I say it, Thailand. I appreciate that in itself is not conclusive, but does add further cause for suspicion

I see another poster is now claiming that Maria Miller has been contacted and is genuine. Whilst I have no doubt that it would be possible to contact Maria through her FB page - as quite clearly that is a genuine profile, I still do not accept that any post's made here under that name originated from her. As has already been stated there was ample opportunity for her to verify herself in an open and transparent way by simply posting an innocuous message on her FB page - surely something that someone genuinely (misguidedly) seeking assistance here (for what it would be worth) would have been only to happy to do.

why do these peple die on this island and why called the island of death thats what i think funny never old people he about the 6 person to die in a strange way

People die on Koh Tao for various reasons - not all 6 have died 'in a strange way' Some have been murdered, some have just died and the cause of death of the latest one in topic here is still not wholly confirmed.

The Island of Death or Death Island, is a description used by the ThaiVisa brigade of Miss Marple's and Inspector Clouseau's who like to embroider their posts for added sensationalism. I believe it was also used (likely created) by that pinnacle of responsible and accurate reporting in the UK, otherwise known as the Sun.

Your reference to 'old people' is hard to understand due to a complete lack of punctuation, and shall I say, a rather unusual style of writing. If you meant "why do old people never die on Koh Tao?", well I expect the Thai locals do, but of course that is of little interest to the readers here - no matter how suspicious the circumstances might be. Fair to say that Koh Tao's number of more senior visitors is not particularly high, and those that do come tend not to go on mushroom and alcohol benders for days on end.

Edited by Shadychris

465 posts so far. Absolutely unbelievable that the nutty Thaivisa bashing and hating conspiracy theorists are still at it with no information whatsoever to justify their pontificating even though a postmortem has confirmed that, with all due respect, the irresponsible, drunk, mushroom consuming clown drowned (for god's sake, his own grieving sister even referred to him as a little shit in one of her comments). There never is any evidence presented to TV members although judging by the way some posts are written some people seem to think that TV is here to be referred to when investigating authorities run out of ideas!

The indignation shown by so many arrogant, amateur sleuths could be understood if the incident had been reported with any fervour by any of the usual respected news services but it wasn't and the reports that were published made no reference to there being any suspicious circumstances whatsoever.

Time to give it a rest, you don't know anything and you never will because you're not investigators.

Until it's verified as being genuine, the poster called Maria Miller should be ignored as being a troll.

I am pleased that someone else has taken a similar view. I also found it unusual that this person, who purports to be the sister of the deceased, writes in such an inflammatory manner, thus giving rise to more and more hate posts, speculation and further criticism of the police and has elected to do so on an annoymous forum. I see this person was asked to put their details on their FB page but declined to do so as the family is grieving. The reason provided for not doing so I find paltry to say the least, as they took time to raise it on TVF, yet some have appeared to accept that reasoning. I can't, seeing that they have elected to use this type of carriage service for the specific purpose of what I believe is to inflame the situation as it would be a given for it to reach more readers than they'd get if it was on FB.

Firstly, what does this person hope to achieve through this forum, all I can see is that it is greating more hysteria, with people dreaming up all sorts of conclusions. murder, conspiracies, the involvement of the so called Island mafia, various assaults, being bashed and thrown into a pool, the list goes on, I won't expand because it is there for all to see. As for them declining to list the details on FB, I find unusual to say the least, as if they were to acknowledge their bona fides in this manner, then maybe one could find that the post is genuine but then again people are able to put up fake FB pages, aren't they? At this time, I am with you on the troll situation.

So this person gives out a email address, so what, proves absolutely nothing, does not substantiate for one minute that they are who they say they are. Anyone can have numerous email addresses but because they say this is who they it is being accepted by many. After having read numerous past posts, mainly from those people who want to denegrate Thailand, its people, the police, the laws, it strikes me as bearing a similar hate stirring message with multiple allegations of suspicion and wrong doings.

For many posters to go into overdrive and posting their infantile guesses, rumours and innuendos and giving out sympathic messages not knowing who they are dealing with just shows how gullible some can be. If I am criticised for being callous, then so be it but until this person can prove who they are and that they are the real deal, I cannot accept that in such a time of grief, that some one would come onto an anonymous forum, with what I believe is an attempt to inflame an already worsening situation. If I am proved to be wrong then I will be the first to appologise.

One other matter also caught my eye in this person's response to a poster, who initially advised that they should contact Jonathan Head. Now, I do not know if it was a Fraudian Slip but they referred to him as Richard Head. We all know what this means in the terms of general slang. May mean nothing but there is a huge difference between the two christian names.

I agree. It seems very odd (co-incidental) indeed that a grieving relative suddenly appears on TV, also full of accusations of wrongdoing and subterfuge.... Not really the first place someone would think to come for information in such a situation, or to raise awareness of any perceived miscarriage of justice - and to be fair that process has not even begun yet.

Also very odd that the posts made in the name of Maria Miller from the IoW were made between 3.00 and 3.30am in the morning GMT...... A time when people are more likely to be awake either in the US or, dare I say it, Thailand. I appreciate that in itself is not conclusive, but does add further cause for suspicion

I see another poster is now claiming that Maria Miller has been contacted and is genuine. Whilst I have no doubt that it would be possible to contact Maria through her FB page - as quite clearly that is a genuine profile, I still do not accept that any post's made here under that name originated from her. As has already been stated there was ample opportunity for her to verify herself in an open and transparent way by simply posting an innocuous message on her FB page - surely something that someone genuinely (misguidedly) seeking assistance here (for what it would be worth) would have been only to happy to do.

this forum actually offers a platform of knowledge support and guidance whether you agree or not - granted there are certain people that deflect and seem to have other motives for posting on the Koh Tao threads but they are few and it doesn't take long to weed them out and realise they have other deflecting interests motives for posting on these threads

What you do have here are -

- People with a considerable knowledge of Thailand and how stuff works here

- professional/qualified people here that are retired or are current lawyers - solicitors - police - forensic experts etc who are willing to offer neutral advice without motive

It is up to each individual to decide who they are willing to listen to

As it turns out it is not a bad place to come as a starting point and seek assistance in such matters

Edited by smedly

why do these peple die on this island and why called the island of death thats what i think funny never old people he about the 6 person to die in a strange way

People die on Koh Tao for various reasons - not all 6 have died 'in a strange way' Some have been murdered, some have just died and the cause of death of the latest one in topic here is still not wholly confirmed.

Yes it has been wholly confirmed, the postmortem reported drowning to be the cause of death. No-one, apart from the usual over-excitable Thaivisa posters, has suggested any circumstances that may give cause for concern.

Yes it has been wholly confirmed, the postmortem reported drowning to be the cause of death. No-one, apart from the usual over-excitable Thaivisa posters, has suggested any circumstances that may give cause for concern.

And apart from his sister.

Most children ages 1-4 drown in home swimming pools.

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Water-Safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

So yes, swimming pools are more dangerous than the ocean.

For children, 555.

Any adult with above average IQ knows you swim at a 90 degree angle to a riptide current. What's the big deal. Oh. Wait...

this forum actually offers a platform of knowledge support and guidance whether you agree or not - granted there are certain people that deflect and seem to have other motives for posting on the Koh Tao threads but they are few and it doesn't take long to weed them out and realise they have other deflecting interests motives for posting on these threads

- professional/qualified people here that are retired or are current lawyers - solicitors - police - forensic experts etc who are willing to offer neutral advice without motive

As it turns out it is not a bad place to come as a starting point and seek assistance in such matters

I agree - it can be a useful place to find information on some of the areas you mention. I found much good information concerning Visa's and life in general in Thailand before I came myself.

However it is not a court or a coroners office. It does not have the relevant information and evidence that is needed to investigate a death, no matter how good a forensic expert or policeman a person might have been in a past life. All you have here is wild speculation based on quite possibly unreliable media reporting and often poorly translated from a foreign language. Also, whilst it may be fairly easy for you or I, with a good knowledge of this forum to weed out those posters with agendas (or simply trolls), IMHO that is likely not true for someone visiting the first time.

Edited by Shadychris

Well, not everything in the media is clear especially at these early stages, but according to this one hour ago:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/young-tourist-luke-miller-found-dead-on-same-thai-island-where-backpackers-were-murdered-a3152481.html

"Thai authorities are looking at how the young tourist died, and have said the circumstances of his death are as yet unclear"​

And according to local media:

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/british-national-luke-miller-found-dead-in-koh-tao-swimming-pool.html

"Lt Col Napha Senathip said they believe Mr Miller climbed onto the roof of the booth – cutting his face on barbed wire in the process – before jumping off and hitting his head on the swimming pool floor. Police do not believe any foul play was involved."

I have lived and worked in Thailand just about 20 years. It is common for the news in Thailand to be incorrect, vague, poor reporting, etc so I dont put much faith in anything the news reports.

Also as for CCTV cameras in Thailand allot of them are for show and dont work. Yet, the guys on TV are always ready to know exactly what happened with the little bit of information they get.

Thailand can be a great place but it can also be very dangerous, people come to Thailand and let their guard down.

@Maria, I';m very sorry to hear about your brother, I do hope you find the truth.

I agree - it can be a useful place to find information on some of the areas you mention. I found much good information concerning Visa's and life in general in Thailand before I came myself.

However it is not a court or a coroners office. It does not have the relevant information and evidence that is needed to investigate a death, no matter how good a forensic expert or policeman a person might have been in a past life. All you have here is wild speculation based on quite possibly unreliable media reporting and often poorly translated from a foreign language. Also, whilst it may be fairly easy for you or I, with a good knowledge of this forum to weed out those posters with agendas (or simply trolls), IMHO that is likely not true for someone visiting the first time.

to a certain extent you might be right but in some cases a person that has worked in law enforcement in some capacity has a good nose for spotting something that just doesn't sit right or doesn't add up or to put it bluntly - can smell a rat, there very few in this country that cannot be made to toe the line either with bribes threats or both, anyone that doesn't see that is a fool

One thing I have learned in Thailand is - they have a serious rodent problem

We have a family member who made a post here about injuries to this young mans arms and face - yes he may have drowned in a swimming pool on his own and we have a Thai coroner involved and little else, no witness - no cctv, will we hear more ? I very much doubt it, he jumped in a pool hit his head and drowned, case closed, maybe in a few weeks we will hear a UK coroner say he had injuries consistent with a beating, who knows, what I do know is that there has been some seriously questionable stuff going on on that island and people are dying

There seems to be a surprising lack of details on this incident.

At 27 one would not suspect a health incident.

Sad.

Why NOT?

Because it is much less likely in a young man than say a 60 year old overweight smoker.

Surprised you need to ask.

And you studied medicine where? And you have been practising for how long? I have read some non-sensical posts on here in the 12 or so pages now but yours is up near the top. You, like the rest of us, have absolutely no idea, yet you want to ask another poster why he had the need to ask. I would too, given what hasn't been divulged at this time, yet you make a statement with out any basis whatsoever. I'd suggest you do some research before posting and you will see just how many young people do have medical conditions, some ever more severe than the example you have given

Didn't he die in a swimming pool?

You are one of these idiots who think people are not allowed an opinion without a university degree?

You appear to be a troll.

Death Island strikes again

If you'd read the linked report, you will see that a pissed up young guy actually struck 'Death Island'. Well, one of it's swimming pool floors anyway, after having dove from a booth into it, lacerating his face with barbed wire on the way down. Some people shouldn't be given passports .. coffee1.gif
I'm sorry but in my experience Thai holiday resorts make no effort at all when it comes to health and safety and the result is that stunts like this (if that IS what is was) are just to easy to do in Thailand.
there are 2 aspects to H&S here the first is to ensure the places are safe for the purpose intended - Thailand usually fails here and the second is to design facilities in such a way that horseplay and dangerous behaviour cannot be undertaken in the first place. As a holiday resort the owners/managers are fullt aware that their customers are likely to drink too much and exhibit excessive behaviour - and a such they should take measures to ensure their safety......no chance in Thailand.

My guess is that the vast majority of swimming pools and the surrounding areas would be immediately closed if they were in a European resort.

Yes, H&S are important. In this case, haven't we read that this person climbed up onto a DO Booth that was surrounded by barbed wire? Isn't the barbed wire an indication to keep off or out for your own good?

Maybe you're saying Thai barbed wire is no good or there should be strong barbed wire over weaker barbed wire on top of other barbed wire.

In the end if someone is determined to go on a frolic of their own, we can just wish them good luck.

We are not sure of all the circumstances, but on reading the first reports I put 2 & 2 together and got 22...

I was assuming this was a organised event/party where the organisers made a lot of money out of alcohol, possibly other interests too, in such a situation where patrons are being intentionally intoxicated I feel the organises/managers are responsible for "Duty of Care" and should conduct risk assessment to prevent such a tragedy, and clearly the barbed wire was not fit for purpose.

But now we see other reports, mentioned AC bar, and reports that it is closed down, so was there a there a party? or did the deceased trespass in a closed hotel? would explain why there was no CCTV and his body not discovered until the next morning...

Could the deceased have been beaten up, murdered for trespassing? or asking the wrong questions? even murdered elsewhere and dumped in the pool?

Following on from the HW & DM murders I have no confidence in the police to investigate it properly, they will just brush it under the carpet on instructions from higher authorities, and sadly I have no confidence in the British Government who I believe have in the past put commercial interests before justice and will continue to do so.

Wow! How did you do that? A young man, seemingly intoxicated, died in circumstances that no one fully understands, but you've had him beaten, dumped, suffering from police incompetence, incompetence of the entire BRITISH Government, commerce trumping justice.

When I drop down dead, alone, walking down the lane, of old age or infirmity, I hope for my wife's sake they don't ask you for your opinion of what happened.

There are some crackpots here but you're outstanding.

If i were the family i would be taking the body to Dr Pornthip for an independant autopsy. Its what the thais do when they want honest answers to what happened to their loved ones.

Everyone knows the rtp will just say what suits themselves best.

If i were the family i would be taking the body to Dr Pornthip for an independant autopsy. Its what the thais do when they want honest answers to what happened to their loved ones.

Everyone knows the rtp will just say what suits themselves best.

That is pretty good advice, I would be insisting on it, there is no reason why the family cannot get the CIFS involved - up to them, the police may not like it but (delete) (delete)

Edited by smedly

1. Body found floating in water

2. Head injuries

3. Scratches to face

4. Happened during the night

5. Koh Tao

6. Surname - Miller

7. No witnesses

So nothing at all suspicious then!

8 the iron on the roof was bent down, It was bent down before the death I downloaed a pic from b4 this happened and was like that long time.

9 the pace was packed one hour b4 sunset, but the owners of the bar saw nothing and failed to see him still there b4 they locked up.
10 Police kept the release of any information quiet and still quiet.
Why would you climb up and jump into a pool when everyone has gone, who do you impress? yourself.
Maris Miller has posted from facebook onto the Sunset bars face book page, read it yesterday saying things don't add up and suspects he was murdered, it's pretty hard to do that if she isn,t Maria Miller.

....a pot of cool water sitting on a stove. Place frog. Heat the water up till it boils. The frog will die. It's sit in that pot till it boils and then it's too late....Known island is the pot....young (only young) the frog.....Keep sending more frogs....

“He didn’t look like someone who had been in the water for hours — there was still dried blood on his face.”

I know this is about Nick Pearson but.........

no wonder the speculation

We don't need speculation in any matter, each should be treated as an separate case, not running into or off another incident. The only common denominator is Koh Tao Island, so please let's stick with the subject at hand.

At what stage do you consider that the prevalence of tourist deaths on this tiny island should become an issue? 5? Check, 10? check. 100?

For my part, I share others concerns about this merry go round KT seems to be on. When my young relatives visit I warn them off the island as a matter of course. Samui and KPG, though not perfect examples of safety do not seem to suffer from the same high incidence of biting the hand that feeds them.

What are you on about. Any death is of concern but I am getting sick and tired of people speculating and putting up unrealistic scenarios and turning assumptions and innuendos into fact. So before you jump out of your tree, understand what I have written. if you have difficulty in doing so, then maybe you shouldn't comment.

Well good for you, warning people off, if that is you belief then do it, I don't think we need to know about it. Do you think this little bullish action on your behalf will have any bearing on the numbers who attend there, I doubt it.

Oh dear. How wonderfully ironic that you fail to understand my point entirely, then go on to accuse me of not understanding yours, and further instruct me whether or not I should post in a public forum. I understand your point perfectly, and even to a certain extent agree with it regarding factualising innuendo and assumption.

However, to reiterate the point that you so spectacularly missed: When the number of incidents in a single place sits at the extreme of a bell curve, someone does need to be speculating, or at least asking some very pointed questions. In the absence of any such action on the part of the authorities, it seems reasonable to me that concerned members of the public should raise those concerns. If you find it so sickening, perhaps you should take your own advice and avoid commenting on (or reading) the topic.

With regard to my advice to my own family- I agree that it will have practically no impact on visitor numbers. I don't care about that as, unlike some who post here, I have no vested interest. My purpose is not to reduce the numbers of people visiting the island, as it is of very little importance to me either way. I do hope that it will help to keep my relatives alive though. Again- if you don't 'need' to hear the opinions of others, simply avoid the topic.

Regardless- As your criticism was liked by two of the biggest KT shills/ trolls on the board, I suspect that my post was barking up the right tree from the point of view of any right-thinking individual.

To Maria- my condolences to you and your family for your loss. I hope that you are able to find some answers to your questions.

Edited by Slip

It's about time banks of CCTV cameras at any tourist venue in Los were rendered tamper proof and hosted remotely in more than one place ie at the provincial capital and in Bkk. Cameras in known trouble spots should have interlocking arcs. Foreign owned businesses could go further by hosting/having theirs accessible on remote hard drives located outside the Kingdom.

(A company I used to work for was doing this ten years ago!)

It's a bit like fitting child locks but nothing else seems to work.

Edited by evadgib

The Police on Koh Tao have learnt well from their previous experience how to lock everything down tight and keep the press out. No photos of the body on Facebook this time.

This certainty from the police about how he died despite the fact there are no witnesses is very suspicious to me.

The Police on Koh Tao have learnt well from their previous experience how to lock everything down tight and keep the press out. No photos of the body on Facebook this time.

This certainty from the police about how he died despite the fact there are no witnesses is very suspicious to me.

Yes it's almost gone from one extreme to another..Which like you said is suspicious..Also if they have established as they say the cause of death there being very quiet about that too..As is the family which if they suspect fouls play you would think there would,be stuff coming out..I know I would be kicking up a almighty stink and moving heaven and earth if it was a family member of mine. Maybe the British Embassy is advising them to say nothing...Not sure why they would mind .

1. Body found floating in water

2. Head injuries

3. Scratches to face

4. Happened during the night

5. Koh Tao

6. Surname - Miller

7. No witnesses

So nothing at all suspicious then!

8 the iron on the roof was bent down, It was bent down before the death I downloaed a pic from b4 this happened and was like that long time.

9 the pace was packed one hour b4 sunset, but the owners of the bar saw nothing and failed to see him still there b4 they locked up.
10 Police kept the release of any information quiet and still quiet.
Why would you climb up and jump into a pool when everyone has gone, who do you impress? yourself.
Maris Miller has posted from facebook onto the Sunset bars face book page, read it yesterday saying things don't add up and suspects he was murdered, it's pretty hard to do that if she isn,t Maria Miller.

The Sunset bar does have barbed wire on the roof of the DJ booth next to the pool, presumably to stop people climbing up there. Look at their facebook pics. If you want to jump in the pool, why don't you do it from the diving board, which is just below the booth?

Edited by IslandLover

Can anyone find a report in the Bangkok Post??

Interesting is that the alleged Maria Miller has posted that no CCTV footage was available from Sunset Bar, however Khaosod English has said Police Lt Col Napha Senathip has told him that CCTV fottage recovered indicates Luke was drunk and that further investigation of CCTV footage was being investigated.

I would like to know where this CCTV footage has been recovered from ???

Nothing I can find in BK Post today anyone read anything???

balo, on 10 Jan 2016 - 15:34, said:

Has anyone tried to contact Maria Miller on her genuine facebook page just to verify that she is the real poster on Thaivisa ?

I would not be surprised if she don't know anything about this thread. .

Balo, she is genuine. How many times do I have to tell you.