Rumors that bar owners are getting in trouble for letting customers sit with laptop? Is it true?

ikebukuro5

So if I fly in from Hong kong on Friday to BKK to do a weekend of golf, get off the plane turn my phone on and respond to an email from office in HK in relation to a HK matter I am technically working in thailand? because I doing in thailand?

Or if I hold a regional position say in HK or SG as where most regional positions are located and respond to an email from my BKK office whilst in in HK in relation to a matter relating to BKK I am technically working Thailand? because the matter relates to thailand despite being in HK?

1) yes

2) no

so even answering a work call from hk whilst in thailand is breaking the law. So there must be millions of visitors to thailand breaking the law every hour of every day each year.

but running a business in thailand from abroad is not?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear a lot of incredulous comments doubting the truth about his work not being related to Thailand, but I assure you , it is NOT related to Thailand.

I can't give any details because he wants to remain anonymous.

But let's say it would be analogous to running a contruction business in North America, delegating tasks to staff, doing business paper work, taxes, renting equipment, calling customers and vendors ect...

NOTHING to do with Thailand.

You just don't get it do you?

No matter where his business is, if he is doing it from Thailand, it has something to do with Thailand.

He is violating hai law if he is doing it without a work permit.

Is it clear now?

....can never win....

..has nothing to do with winning....

...it seems like we are only welcome if we can have our blood...our life...everything...sucked out of us....

...and yes....many more people are conducting business on their phones and pads nowadays...

...by the way...thinking is work too...now what...

.it cannot be a 'protected occupation' though...because there does not seem to be any real thinking going on here....

You're right, you can't win. Might as well just give it up, find a tall building, and take a swan dive, put you out of your misery. No one will miss you, I promise.

I hear a lot of incredulous comments doubting the truth about his work not being related to Thailand, but I assure you , it is NOT related to Thailand.

But let's say it would be analogous to running a contruction business in North America, delegating tasks to staff, doing business paper work, taxes, renting equipment, calling customers and vendors ect...

If he`s in Thailand and working on his computer, then he falls under the laws of Thailand.

Who are you trying to kid, us or yourself?

To hell with the laws of Thailand or any law anywhere that is unjust. People have moral imperative to disobey unjust laws. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell the government that I'm doing it, but you bet I wipe my ass and defecate on authoritarianism. I just do it discretely, as I know what's good for me.

Edited by BudRight

And this is the reason why i would never put WiFi in my bar,when we had it.They come in early,sit there with what ever type of computer they are using,Charging it on my electricity,nursing one beer and hour and looking resentful when the girl asks them if they want another drink.Also it attracts attention from the local fuzz,nowadays,what with the American tax in their own country problem.I also didn't want to be involved with the people working thing.Other customers don't want to watch someone working on a computer either,it wasn't the image we tried to provide.Or bar was a noisy girly bar that sold beer and booze to men who wanted to get pissed.The last thing they wanted was to have to be quiet because some pratt is trying to concentrate on what he was doing.Some of them even bring their bloody kids in with them,which automatically turns all the sexy girl's into mum's.And who wants a 6 year old watching you when you are grabbing a girlys ass. These type of customers are not wanted in bar's or cafe's according to the other bar owners i used to know. The other problem is that once the local BIB or any other other type of law enforcement people get involved,they are always on your case looking for a handout.And,let's face it we dont know if these guys are on the level,they could be hackers,boiler house scammers,etc.No! i would never put WiFi in a bar,it leads to problems and loses you customer's in the long run.

<deleted> 'em,let them find a library.

WiFi is a pest and certain doom for any bar that installs it.

KKD

Your "friend" is working illegally in Thailand no matter how you manipulate the wording to make yourself feel good. But that isn't the issue here.

I've done the exact same thing but I go to quiet little cafes and 90% of the time I order a meal and a couple drinks. I've never been given a hard time.

So, your "friend" is either 1) nursing one drink for hours in a place that caters to customers socializing and therefore spending more money or 2) the owners suspect that you, I mean, your "friend" is doing something they worry about coming up on their internet connection. If he is getting on sites that the owners worry about can be an issue.

Tell your friend to time when he's going to these places with a meal time and order food and a few drinks. Most people I know who work online like this buy one drink and make it last a couple hours.

"I'm asking because I have a friend that is overly paranoid, he sells stuff on ecommerce sites from West to West, nothing to do about Thailand. He also has a business in the USA that he controls from over here, again, nothing to do with Thailand."

Actually, it has everything to do with Thailand, because that is where your "friend" is when he works.

So, as he is, (according to the letter of the law), working illegally, I would think that the RTP do have the powers to seize his laptop and any other evidence.

According to this line of reasoning, this would mean that anyone who transacted business online in Thailand would be accused and presumably found guilty of working illegally. This would mean that anyone who checked their work email, took a client phone call or did something work-related while on holiday would be in the same category.

No country I have ever heard of operates such a policy. So lets not get paranoid.

Yes. If you work in Thailand illegally, you are in violation of the law. Your interpretation of the law by minimizing it won't change the law. Just like if you speed 5 mph over the speed limit in your country, you are still breaking the law even though it's only 5 mph.

Pretty simple stuff.

nowadays,what with the American tax in their own country problem

What's the IRS care about a bar owner in Thailand?

Not that it's a huge risk but the USA taxes Americans anywhere they are in the world.

$97,600 dollars earned overseas can be excluded from US taxes. He would need to earn a heck of a lot to be worried about the IRS.

So, as he is, (according to the letter of the law), working illegally, I would think that the RTP do have the powers to seize his laptop and any other evidence.

I actually don't think people are allowed to make comments as stupid as that without a licence

Pray tell, what is so stupid about the comment? Any police force have the right to take evidence to back up criminal charges?

digital nomads are working!!! work permit or deported!!! all selfies that result in money need to pay LOS!!!

you bring in a laptop to LOS, extra 100,000 baht!!!!

sorted.

i'm going to do a youtube video on this and make big money!!!!

pay bar fine first....

nowadays,what with the American tax in their own country problem

Not that it's a huge risk but the USA taxes Americans anywhere they are in the world.

$97,600 dollars earned overseas can be excluded from US taxes. He would need to earn a heck of a lot to be worried about the IRS.

....provided one spends the appropriate amount of time outside USA each year (330 days perhaps?).

"I'm asking because I have a friend that is overly paranoid, he sells stuff on ecommerce sites from West to West, nothing to do about Thailand. He also has a business in the USA that he controls from over here, again, nothing to do with Thailand."

Actually, it has everything to do with Thailand, because that is where your "friend" is when he works.

According to this line of reasoning, this would mean that anyone who transacted business online in Thailand would be accused and presumably found guilty of working illegally. This would mean that anyone who checked their work email, took a client phone call or did something work-related while on holiday would be in the same category.

No country I have ever heard of operates such a policy. So lets not get paranoid.

Yes. If you work in Thailand illegally, you are in violation of the law. Your interpretation of the law by minimizing it won't change the law. Just like if you speed 5 mph over the speed limit in your country, you are still breaking the law even though it's only 5 mph.

Pretty simple stuff.

If all matters of law were so simple courts wouldn't exist. Not even supreme court justices view things in such stark simplicity.

Who do you think writes laws anyway? There is no magical clarity or authority bestowed upon drivel just because it has been made a "law." There's no sacred benediction to it's passage; it's just the ramblings of selfish old men enforced with sanctions.

Even the normative statement that one should follow laws is just "might makes right" in disguise - it comes from the very definition of authority, which is a monopoly on the use of legitimate violence.

"You're breaking the law," isn't a courageous condemnation, it is a defeated, cowardly whimper. And it reflects a lonely ignorance about how that's even determined.

....provided one spends the appropriate amount of time outside USA each year (330 days perhaps?).

Correct you are.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion---Requirements

I actually don't think people are allowed to make comments as stupid as that without a licence

Pray tell, what is so stupid about the comment? Any police force have the right to take evidence to back up criminal charges?

You're effectively saying that the police, after observation of his activities on a computer being used at a coffee shop, can

1. Deduce that he's working illegally and

2. Take both him and his PC into custody right there and then.

That's what's so monumentally stupid about the comment.

On what grounds could they justify accusing him of working illegally? Sending an email? Visiting a website? Uploading a file to his Dropbox, perhaps?

No matter how hard the haters pray, there will be no witch-hunt of online workers.

It's simply too difficult to track them down and bring charges.

They will always go after the easy targets doing the idiotic things to earn an illegal crust in this country . . . like the farang fool selling Thai BBQ from a cart in the street

Your "friend" is either up to no good, going slowly insane, or just a cheapskate sitting in a place for ages using the internet and not purchasing enough in the owner's opinion.

I have brought my laptop with me all over Thailand to all kinds of places and never had any problems. I still do. And I see people on their laptops at restaurant and bars all the time. That's why they put their wifi passwords up on the walls, etc.

Don't know what is going on with this post, but it seems weird.

"Is he over reacting?"

About what? You never articulated that he was overreacting about anything. Individual business owners can set their rules for the time that a customer can use a seat. Their business is to sell cone, not provide free internet access for two hours.

• 11 months later...

Many people seem to suggest that the police/military could give problem to people who are working a business, even a foreign business. Is this something that one would need to pay attention to in other parts of Asia? Does Vietnam, for instance, have such intrusive laws/powers?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

On 17/01/2016 at 3:09 AM, Sutty said:

Maybe as said sat on lap top using free WiFi (which is not secure so if and that's a big if, he is looking after his businesses back in West! !!! And USA he won't have them long when hackers get him!!which bar????) Not drinking like any owner of coffe/bar he is not a worthwhile customer so feed him the story described and hey presto vacant seat. I suppose technically he is working illegally which will bring out the throw him out of Thailand brigade on here.

VPN springs to mind

On 1/17/2016 at 10:52 AM, Rob13 said:

Yeah all that and the girls aren't making any money and are probably complaining to the owner about the kinnneow farang who comes in everyday.

Pretty stupid anyways to conduct your biz on an open connection everyday in the same place, just setting himself up for hacking or spying, he ought to at least move arouund to different locarions

Haha, I guess you haven't been in a bar lately...2/3 of the girls ignore the customers as they sit engrossed in their cellphones anyway.

On 1/17/2016 at 4:25 PM, ikebukuro5 said:

Of course he's WORKING in Thailand. Working is describing his actions while sitting in a bar in THAILAND. He can get done for WORKING, nothing to do with the content of his WORK. 

20 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

Haha, I guess you haven't been in a bar lately...2/3 of the girls ignore the customers as they sit engrossed in their cellphones anyway.

Oh so true. More interested in their imaginary friends than attracting a real customer.

On my recent visit to LOS I passed a lot of bars devoid of customers and with a few girls not even trying to get me inside because too engrossed in the machine.