65K Income for Americans- Gross or Net income

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be the retirement visa. I believe the US embassy has you swear you can meet the requirement then issues the affidavit. I've read some have been asked to show proof when completing visa or checking in for the 90 day. I want no problems and plan on covering all the bases.

It would be the retirement visa. I believe the US embassy has you swear you can meet the requirement then issues the affidavit. I've read some have been asked to show proof when completing visa or checking in for the 90 day. I want no problems and plan on covering all the bases.

You will not be asked for to show proof of income for the 90 day report - I've never seen anyone report that. Few, if any, have been asked to show proof by Thai Immigration when applying for the annual extension based upon retirement....all they want to see is the US Consulate affidavit if you are applying using the income method.

I don't think you can walk in and request 'retirement extension'. I came on a tourist 30 day stamp, get it extended to 90 days, went to US Consulate and got the income paper etc, and then returned to Thai Immig and applied for 'retirement'. So, if all this remains true then you would need to be here for at least one season, about 120 days.

Circumstances may be different if applying from out of country.

Circumstances are much different if applying from the US. It's easy except for finding a dr. that will complete the medical report.

Thanks for the info amexpat.

So I should come over on a 30 day tourist visa then go for the retirment visa. Easier to get medical report in Thailand? And how thorough are the exams, do you think a hernia would keep me from getting a good health medical report?

You can not cover all bases in Thailand, all is just unattainable.

Gross or Net Income, defined by whom? It does not matter, nobody wants to deal with the details of it.

Circumstances are much different if applying from the US. It's easy except for finding a dr. that will complete the medical report.

Thanks for the info amexpat.

So I should come over on a 30 day tourist visa then go for the retirment visa. Easier to get medical report in Thailand? And how thorough are the exams, do you think a hernia would keep me from getting a good health medical report?

That would not be my advice. Get an O-A visa while you're in the US and arrive on that....you can make it last for up to two years.

Do you have TB, syphilis, HIV, or elephantiasis? That's what the medical report specifically mentions.

You really should read the visa sub-forum because it appears from your questions you don't quite understand the differences between obtaining a visa in the US and applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement here in Thailand.

Gross or Net Income, defined by whom? It does not matter, nobody wants to deal with the details of it.

Yes you right no one can cover all the bases whether in Thailand or anywhere else. Just trying to research and cover as many bases I can to keep problems to a minimum.

To answer your question, Gross or Net income defined by Thai immigration. I've read they rarely do but have asked for proof of income so it does matter to me.

I'm not the sharpest tool maybe you're trying to be helpful, sorry I missed it but thanks for chiming in. Good day to you Sir.

The US embassy does not have you "swear that you can meet the requirement".

You fill out the Income Statement form, which is personal information and an amount of income per month. By signing per the wording on the form you are attesting that the information is correct. The embassy is witnessing your signature.

The US embassy does not have you "swear that you can meet the requirement".

You fill out the Income Statement form, which is personal information and an amount of income per month. By signing per the wording on the form you are attesting that the information is correct. The embassy is witnessing your signature.

Appreciate the info.

I go to the USA conciliate and they ask me how much income I have. I uae the gross figure and they ask me to raise my right hand and swear it is true then sign the form I have filled in. I take no chances. I have the paper work with me to prove it and they never ask.

I also take the proof with me to immigration and they never ask for proof. I even tried to show it to them once but they were not interested.

How ever I will continue to take it with me in case. I have heard that some people have been asked to produce it so I am prepared. I also take my letter from my landlord that I have been here at this address X number of years. Never been asked but I hear it is not an uncommon thing to be asked. So I am ready if they do.

Not sure but I do believe some countries want to see the proof of income before they will sign. All this is for my extension.

Edited by northernjohn

Yes you right no one can cover all the bases whether in Thailand or anywhere else. Just trying to research and cover as many bases I can to keep problems to a minimum.

To answer your question, Gross or Net income defined by Thai immigration. I've read they rarely do but have asked for proof of income so it does matter to me.

I'm not the sharpest tool maybe you're trying to be helpful, sorry I missed it but thanks for chiming in. Good day to you Sir.

Thai Immigration has not defined income, net or gross. Do your research and you will find that it is up to the individual officer what is required and what is required of the person before or after you may be different from what is required of you. Details of income are so rarely required it is not worth worrying about as long as you take a bath, groom yourself reasonably and wear the same clothes you have been wearing for the past two weeks.

The OP needs to spend time with the many fine threads on the Visa subforum -- the very first forum at the top of the list of Thai Visa forums and gain an understanding of the difference between applying for an O-A retirement visa in his home country -- where proof of income/bank account (in his home country), medical report and police check is needed vs. arriving here either 30-day visa exempt or on a tourist visa and then doing an in-country conversion to a 90-day O visa and then getting a 12 month retirement extension during the final 30 days of that 90-day O visa.

Akdraw -- thoroughly confused yet? Rather than us trying to explain all this here, go to the Visa subforum and read the threads where the real experts have done so already.

The big difference is that if you come here with an O-A visa, you can get two years of life out of that visa and don't have deal with CM Immigration (except for 90 day reports) for two blissful years. But you do have the bother of producing the documents needed to get the O-A visa. If you just wash up here in Chiang Mai visa-exempt you can do an in-country conversion, using an Income Letter from the U.S. Consulate and no need for a medical or police report. But many more painful hours of dealing with Chiang Mai Immigration. Or hiring a visa agent to do the in-country conversion for you (I've seen estimates of about 20,000 baht)

If your income is a little short of 65,000 baht (net) don't lie at the U.S. Consulate. It's not a good idea to misrepresent yourself to a federal official. Besides you'll need a bank account here in Thailand to handle your living expenses and for emergency back-up. Use the "combo" method and be legit.

I have always used net income as the figure I put on the Income Statement.

The amount is more than adequate to meet the requirement, and I see no reason for showing the significantly higher gross number.

I just use the gross as that is all that is required and I see no reason to confuse people telling them to use the net. I qualify with room to spare on both. Just prefer to keep it simple.

The easiest way to get the initial retirement is do it where you live. I went into the Thai consulate in Vancouver and had it three days later. All the requirements were easier there because I knew where my doctor was I knew where the police station was. All they checked was the local area. I also knew where to get a notary to notarize a piece of paper saying I was who I said I was. Every thing was in perfectly understandable English.

As I look back on it I had the papers to prove my income but to be honest I am not sure they asked to see them. That is one thing I have contracted since living here senior moments.

I have always used net income as the figure I put on the Income Statement.

The amount is more than adequate to meet the requirement, and I see no reason for showing the significantly higher gross number.

I just use the gross as that is all that is required and I see no reason to confuse people telling them to use the net. I qualify with room to spare on both. Just prefer to keep it simple.

The easiest way to get the initial retirement is do it where you live. I went into the Thai consulate in Vancouver and had it three days later. All the requirements were easier there because I knew where my doctor was I knew where the police station was. All they checked was the local area. I also knew where to get a notary to notarize a piece of paper saying I was who I said I was. Every thing was in perfectly understandable English.

As I look back on it I had the papers to prove my income but to be honest I am not sure they asked to see them. That is one thing I have contracted since living here senior moments.

Either way works...but how is using gross more simple than using net? Either figure is just a number.

I know how much each paycheck is...I round down to an even number ($nn00) and multiply by 24.

Putting some logic to it, it seems like net might be a more "honest" or "accurate" number, as that would more closely represent what you might have available to use in-country.

I would definitely say GROSS especially if it is a standard and verifiable source of income, such as SOCIAL SECURITY. The U.S. embassy doesn't even want to see anything at all, and IF ever questioned at Thai immigration you can easily obtain a printed statement stating the amount of your SOCIAL SECURITY benefit. In the case of less standard kinds of income, I would consider gross vs. net on a case by case basis.

Again I would say, don't be SILLY here, go with GROSS.

It's completely defensible if you have documentation of the GROSS amount if it's EVER challenged.

You can just say, I thought it meant GROSS as it's not stated either way in the rules.

Remember the rule isn't about IMPORTING even ONE baht into Thailand.

It's about INCOME. Simple as that.

Think about it, if someone asked your SALARY, you you tell them the GROSS amount or the NET? Duh! There's the answer.

Again I would say, don't be SILLY here, go with GROSS.

It's completely defensible if you have documentation of the GROSS amount if it's EVER challenged.

You can just say, I thought it meant GROSS as it's not stated either way in the rules.

Remember the rule isn't about IMPORTING even ONE baht into Thailand.

It's about INCOME. Simple as that.

Think about it, if someone asked your SALARY, you you tell them the GROSS amount or the NET? Duh! There's the answer.

Gross income is meaningless because it does not tell how much money you have to live on.

If somebody asks me my salary, with very good reason I tell them to fcck off.