David Miller's father opposes Koh Tao death sentence

webfact

David Miller's father opposes Koh Tao death sentence
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- The father of slain British backpacker David Miller has said he does not want the men convicted of his murder to get the death penalty.

Ian Miller told the Jersey Evening Post that although he was sure Myanmar migrant workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun were guilty of killing his son, he did not endorse the death penalty for them.

"The message we want to get across is that there has been enough death," he told the newspaper, adding that his family had been vilified by internet users for supporting the conviction.

Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun were convicted of the murder of Miller and of the rape and murder of fellow Brit Hannah Witheridge on Koh Tao in September 2014.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/19/david-millers-father-opposes-koh-tao-death-sentence

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-19

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be a proper retrial because the conviction is "unsafe". Why were the police absolutely convinced that 2 Thai men were the killers at the beginning?

Yes the family have been vilified for accepting the court's verdict so easily when there are so many "holes" in the case. Surely the family must have realised that courts in Thailand are not impartial, they must obey a higher authority. Judges are vulnerable to corruption and threats.

Time with the appeal court to look at and review the decision, on the first basis, and make its own decision, an appeal can also be lodged to review the appeal courts decision to the supreme court, who may look at the case or decide not to review, , after all the appeals have been exhausted or refused the prisoners or some one on their behalf have 60 days to apply for a royal pardon , which may succeed,

Mr Millers wish for a non lethal outcome for these men may well come to fruition.

"The message we want to get across is that there has been enough death," he told the newspaper, adding that his family had been vilified by internet users for supporting the conviction.

Maybe what he meant to say was " we donot want 2 innoccent person's to die"

Quite possibly, but either way I take my hat off to the gentleman for his compassion under the almost unimaginable grief he must be suffering. Edited by baboon

I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding -- maybe the reporter has a problem with the Jersey accent.

Time with the appeal court to look at and review the decision, on the first basis, and make its own decision, an appeal can also be lodged to review the appeal courts decision to the supreme court, who may look at the case or decide not to review, , after all the appeals have been exhausted or refused the prisoners or some one on their behalf have 60 days to apply for a royal pardon , which may succeed,

Mr Millers wish for a non lethal outcome for these men may well come to fruition.

The defense had 30 days to lodge an appeal.

Has anybody read anything, seen anything on TV news whatever indicating that an appeal has been lodged?

He believes or says he believes the 2 Burmese men are guilty. I don't know why he believes this but I'm sure he has his reasons.

As for saying he doesn't want the two Burmese executed, well, this has been one of the few mature and level headed comments made by the people involved in this whole sorry mess.

While I do believe the Miller family have been more accepting of the Thai authorities version of events due to wanting closure, I find it abhorrent that they have received abuse. I commend Mr Miller in not wanting the death penalty is a general rule. Especially as two innocent men have been sentenced.

I find it just as scummy as the abuse Laura Witheridge has received.

While I do believe the Miller family have been more accepting of the Thai authorities version of events due to wanting closure, I find it abhorrent that they have received abuse. I commend Mr Miller in not wanting the death penalty is a general rule. Especially as two innocent men have been sentenced.

I agree. It's easy for us to make comments from behind computer screen regarding the verdict but at the end of the day the ones really living with the consequences are those actually involved.

I agree. It's easy for us to make comments from behind computer screen regarding the verdict but at the end of the day the ones really living with the consequences are those actually involved.

Yes. Disagreeing with the Miller family's agreement on the verdict is fine but sending them abuse is sickening. And I say that as someone that believes whole heatedly that this whole thing is a stitch up.

No he definitely didn't want to say that. Maybe you have reading issues so I'll put in bold for you what he effectively said, please let us know if you can't comprehend it.

Ian Miller told the Jersey Evening Post that although he was sure Myanmar migrant workers Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun were guilty of killing his son,

self serving ???? it pretty obvious most people on here believe the 2 are scapegoats and do not agree with them being murdered

Most people definitely doesn't include the father of one of the murder victims, since he said the scapegoats convicted suspects were sure the killers of his son.

It should be understood that since the murders several family’s lives have been turned to hell, in England and in Burma.

How ever ways they chose to deal with this should not be criticised because for these people it’s a life sentence that will probably run for generations to come. My guess is that each member of the families will have their own opinions, some are going to express anger more then others and I’m sure will want to see closure on which is now a case of confusion and uncertainties and maybe there will always be doubts whatever is the final verdict and outcome as to the fate of the 2 Burmese men. I feel great pity for everyone involved.

It should be understood that since the murders several family’s lives have been turned to hell, in England and in Burma.

How ever ways they chose to deal with this should not be criticised because for these people it’s a life sentence that will probably run for generations to come. My guess is that each member of the families will have their own opinions, some are going to express anger more then others and I’m sure will want to see closure on which is now a case of confusion and uncertainties and maybe there will always be doubts whatever is the final verdict and outcome as to the fate of the 2 Burmese men. I feel great pity for everyone involved.

You forgot to mention all the respectable families on Koh Tao that have to live with this travesty of injustice because of a vested interest or interests on the Island. Selling your moral soul for money cannot be an easy thing to do for anybody with a conscience. Hopefully the days are numbered when the average person in Thailand will not have to make a decision between whats right , and money.

While many here show compassion for the Burmese boys believing them to be innocent, Mr. Miller is compassionate though he believes them guilty.

A previous poster has said time will tell..I disagree the truth like the bodies will remain buried,An terrible burden to the bereft families.

If and its a big if, the Myanmar boy's are guilty then living the rest of their day's in a Thai prison is in my opinion worse than having a lethal injection. Anyway very pleased to read that most people including the victim's Father believe in punishment in time spent in prison and not the easy way out.

An inflammatory post has been removed as well as the replies:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Odd that Mr Miller has suddenly spoken out after Laura's very truthful and sad facebook post.

I wonder, with all respect - did the Millers accept any compensation?

Mods, if this is over the top - delete it.

The article from the Jersey Evening Post, from which the quote in the OP originates, is dated 9.00am on 10th January. So likely that he made his comments the day before, if not earlier. A poster on an earlier thread had this as a link shortly after publication, so the date looks correct.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2016/01/10/there-has-been-enough-death-family-of-murdered-david-miller-say-they-dont-endorse-death-penalty-for-his-killers/

So might the comments of Mr Miller predate those of Laura?

When were the facebook comments posted? I seem to recall around the 11th / 12th, but could be wrong.

Edited by dabhand

In this day and age, only the most backward and uncivilised countries have the death penalty.

Unfortunately Texas (Where Bush and Cruz come from). and a few other (mostly southern) states in the US have these very antiquated and "Get Even" laws on their books. Some executions should have gone on, such as Charles Manson, but only in very rare heinous crimes with many witnesses. I could go on to mention three very famous recent dictators that should have been executed for having been responsible for murdering about 120 million of their own people but only one died of suicide - the other two of natural (we are told) causes. But that might start a firestorm on this site and it might be closed down.