Is Thailand really cheap?

webfact

Is Thailand Really Cheap?
by The Pattaya Sleuth

thailand1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- It is amazing how many times over the years I have read how cheap Thailand is and certainly some things are but I really don’t think it applies to everything – not anymore anyway.

I have read all sorts of reports about people saying that they can live comfortably on THB30,000 a month but surely this depends as much on where you live as much as how you want to live? I would argue that in most of Bangkok and indeed Pattaya the AVERAGE man would really struggle to live on this amount unless you own your own property.

I don’t dispute that rent is far cheaper in Thailand than it is in most places in the West but finding somewhere for less than THB10,000 a month in Pattaya, close to public transport maybe difficult. I don’t dispute for one second that these places exist, but would they be close to public transport – if not you need your own transport which could prove costly on a THB30,000 budget or you will need to take taxis with the same end result. The question of whether you really want to live in THB5,000 a month room is probably best ignored at this stage.

So if we were to assume that you were living in a THB10,000 a month room, you then have water and electric – let’s say THB1,000 per month. You also have a mobile phone so for arguments sake we shall say that is THB1,000 as well. Of course you are sensible so you have reasonable medical insurance so if we could pick a random amount of THB3,000 a month (realistically this could be a lot more of a lot less but this is not a bad average). Now we are left with THB15,000 or THB500 a day – doesn’t sound too bad does it?

You are very frugal with your money and only spend THB200 a day on food and drink – we shall be realistic and say this is an average and every meal isn’t Pad Kapow and every drink isn’t from the water vending machine. You live in Pattaya so let’s assume that you like the occasional drink in a cheap bar. You like the football so on Saturday’s you drink a little more than average and you go somewhere slightly more expensive so if we said an AVERAGE of 4 drinks a day at THB60 that would seem pretty reasonable. This leaves you THB60 a day.

This THB60 a day needs to be spent on any medication you may take, taxis, any tips and laundry. You really don’t have much left for anything else so is life in Thailand (or Pattaya) really cheap?

Source: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/thailand-really-cheap-pattaya-sleuth/

inspire-bangkok.jpg
-- Inspire Bangkok 2016-01-21

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in Bangkok, we live comfortably but without excess. No rent as we own our house but we have to maintain it, charge that usually fall on the owner when you rent. Monthly budget is around 30 to 40K. Then you have "exceptional expenses" that fall on a desperately regular basis (car maintenance, visit to the dentist, air cond break down, ...) and you can easily add 10 to 20K / month.

On the other hand we also have a house in the sticks. Budget 10 - 20 K a month including the extras and you can't really spend more as there is nothing to spend your money on.

Then there is the occasional week end in Pattaya with the boys. 10K can disappear overnight without you remembering where they went ...

it can be cheap if you want or have to live like a poor Thai person but if you want to live like a real human I don't think its cheap, you win a few and lose a few. l don't live here cos its cheap, the money it cost me to live here I could live anywhere in the world.

Thailand is expensive because of high tariffs and industry protectionism. Do away with these things making Thai businesses compete, actually collect income taxes instead of taxing consumption and Thailand would be cheap again.

I run 2 houses,admittedly owned outright,3 small motorbikes,a wife and 2 kids who are always well dressed.All four of us eat like horses,pay the bills,I dont go out very often choosing to have a beer at home instead and smoke as well.My pleasures are simple.Me and the wife go out most days on my bike and enjoy the country.My wife manages all this up here in Phitsanulok on 20k a month with a 5k a month back up,as well as money in bank for visa etc that is hardly ever needed.So of course it's cheap but no where near as cheap as in 2007/8 when my houses were built getting 70-80 baht to the pound.

Finally before you ask,my wife is not available to act as a financial guru to all those who can't manage money.

I don’t dispute for one second that these places exist, but would they be close to public transport – if not you need your own transport which could prove costly on a THB30,000 budget or you will need to take taxis with the same end result.

Pretty sure most places west of Suk that are cheap are also near song taeow routes or a motorcy taxi location. They may not be the most attractive forms of "public transportation," but if you're planning to get by under Baht 30,000 a month you can hardly be dreaming of door-to-door limo services. While the proper taxis are comparatively expensive, their occasional use would hardly amount to the same expense as owning your own car ... or you could even consider walking.

If you are living in Pattaya, you have much bigger problems.

coffee1.gif

I'm living in Pattaya and have no big problems, although I wouldn't want to be staying here on a budget as low as the "author" of the article is aiming for. Obviously some challenged individuals find everything a struggle.

It's beginning to sound like Pattaya-bashing is motivated by jealousy. Possibly the overwhelming attraction of living in a rural area staring at a tree 24/7 isn't the thrill some anticipated and those who find themselves in a bucolic setting are feeling envious of those of us who don't have to personally chase down & kill whatever we eat everyday.

Edited by Suradit69