Do i need a helmet

colinneil

Heres 1 for all those members who know about Thai law.

I am taking delivery of a 3 wheel mobility scooter. At first glance it looks like a motorbike.

16 inch wheels/2 speeds up to 15 mph. lights/ indicators/ auto braking.

Do i need a motorbike license or not/ do i need a helmet?

Pretty sure you don't need a licence as it's mobility had a look through (quick look) and can't see anything but as it's only up to 15mph or is that 15mph. I would say no licence required and as for helmet I would say up to you me in thailand yes I would. But surley the suppliers of this could and should give you the answers they must know.

Given there is rarely any consistency in Thailand for laws etc, it would entirely depend on the boys in brown in your area.

I would suggest asking them directly, then there is no, "but it says", or he said she said, nonsense.

Keep a couple of hundred baht spare,Thais are generally forgiving to older westerners especially those like yourself with a disability and I can't imagine your going to encounter to much hassle.

From a safety perspective if you feel you wish to wear a helmet then do so,the issue isn't with your scooter and it's speed but those around you.

At first glance it looks like a motorbike.

Is it similar to the one below?

I am still trying to find some reliable source.

Fact is that I can not remember ever having seen a 3 wheel drive with a helmet.

(I know this is no proof tongue.png )

201107-01-165024-1.jpg

one Troll / Flaming post hidden

Forum Rules -

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

You could always consider using a cycle helmet. That's probably adequate for the speeds your doing and lightweight too.

I was thinking exactly the same, a bi-cycle helmet is very light and gives good air-flow around your head but still give some protection.

I see many expats on scooters in Pattaya using them but would rather be better protected myself when riding sometimes 100km/h on same.

Archived