Why don't people dress decently in restaurants ?

peterb17

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my day a suit was worn, end of a meal quiet chat, glass of port with a cigar....

Really sorry if you young guys never experienced that stuff....Glad I did...smile.png

A cigar ? Yes why not dress well and ruin the dining experience for everyone on the restaurant by stinking up the place.

maybe , it is not the most important ... the most important is maybe what you eat and what you pay for... wink.pngwai.gif

i admit that going somewhere people are eating as pigs in front of you, smoking around you (for just 2 exemples) can disturb your digestion... biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png but the way of people getting dressed ?????

In my day a suit was worn, end of a meal quiet chat, glass of port with a cigar....

Really sorry if you young guys never experienced that stuff....Glad I did...smile.png

A cigar ? Yes why not dress well and ruin the dining experience for everyone on the restaurant by stinking up the place.

Gentleman retired to the drawing room for their port and cigar. I thought everyone knew that.

where is the connection between a certain way to dress and stinking ???

a suit and a tie or other smart way of dressing doesn't avoid flatulences.... biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by silverado

Some have no self respect for themselves or others. Depends on the restaurant as to dress code, sure people should try to strive for being clean and leave the jockstrap and sandals with white socks at home. Can't stand the mobile users in eating places, as someone mentioned. Dress is gloss but the Hello Kitty types shouting in their phones go away.

where is the connection between a certain way to dress and stinking ???

a suit and a tie or other smart way of dressing doesn't avoid flatulences.... biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

The Cigar would be the stinking part...

What restaurant? In Thailand? What restaurant? Upscale? Why do you think it's upscale?

You decided to come to a third world country and you are complaining about the dress code if I understand correctly?

Why don't you fly to many premier European restaurants spots if that is what you seek?

Or just visit a Conrad Lounge (or any 5 star hotel) where dress code is enforced.

The OP never mentioned the word upscale, but if you are suggesting that because Thailand is a third world country there is no such thing as an upscale restaurant, well I suggest you raise your sights.

I dunno. I do all my hiso dinning at Changi airport

Assuming this eatery is in Pattaya in which case you have to get used to it as it is common behavior with Pattayas quality tourists.

No I don't have to get used to it- a simple dress code would make a difference - you think that some stinking guy would be acceptable in some of the better hotels and restaurants- no

Yes, you DO have to get used to it.

Pattaya is a cesspit. If you were in Monaco, I could understand the complaint.

You choose to locate yourself in what is arguably the sex tourism capital of the world. A place where there is a whole street full of BJ bars where te average customer will think nothing of being the 15th sucker of the day.

It doesnt attract the best & brightest. You are unlikely to bump into Brad Pitt, Bill Gates, Dennis Quaid on a walk through the town.

Think about why many of the gentlemen in the town need to trave half way round the world to get their tackle tickled. They are poorly turned out, lacking in style & class.

That's who you are having dinner with. If it offends, go to Bangkok ;-) for sure, you won't change Pattaya.,.

Assuming this eatery is in Pattaya in which case you have to get used to it as it is common behavior with Pattayas quality tourists.

No I don't have to get used to it- a simple dress code would make a difference - you think that some stinking guy would be acceptable in some of the better hotels and restaurants- no

You choose to locate yourself in what is arguably the sex tourism capital of the world. A place where there is a whole street full of BJ bars where te average customer will think nothing of being the 15th sucker of the day.

It doesnt attract the best & brightest. You are unlikely to bump into Brad Pitt, Bill Gates, Dennis Quaid on a walk through the town.

Think about why many of the gentlemen in the town need to trave half way round the world to get their tackle tickled. They are poorly turned out, lacking in style & class.

That's who you are having dinner with. If it offends, go to Bangkok ;-) for sure, you won't change Pattaya.,.

Obviously you have chosen to explore the seamier side of Pattaya. It might surprise you to know that there is another side to Pattaya that doesn't involve BJ bars

, where people raise families in normal neighbourhoods, but I guess water finds it's own level.

maybe , it is not the most important ... the most important is maybe what you eat and what you pay for... wink.pngwai.gif

i admit that going somewhere people are eating as pigs in front of you, smoking around you (for just 2 exemples) can disturb your digestion... biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png but the way of people getting dressed ?????

Yes - ok I don't mind too much, but if you are out for dinner, do you really want to sit within a few feet of someone who does not seem to have washed for a while. In a way it's not the dress ( why does anyone wear a vest in public) - but as I say- armpit hair within a few feet- in a nice restaurant .

Oh No

Off piste again

This has nothing to do with the pros and cons of Pattaya / Jomtien .

If for some weird reason you are obsessed with celebrities - grow up.

Yes I've been out for dinner in Monaco, you assume that the residents here are paupers.

But why comment on Monaco- this is a Thai forum?

A simple resolution to your issue: Open your own restaurant business. Then you'll have the privileged right of dictating (enforcing) the patron dress-code restrictions, and personal hygiene standards.

Opening soon- with a legal contract before you eat my stupendously delicious food

All I'm asking- would you go out to eat stinking ?

Well I am a bit grand- had port laid down for when I was 21. Things have moved on, we opened the port- was not so good.

I'm NOT asking for a suit, black tie outfit etc.

ALL I'm asking that if people go out to a reasonably smart restaurant - they wash and don't wear a Singha vest.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, watch some Hercule Poirot episodes where they have nailed correct attire and behaviour....I lived through that error and have very fond memories..

Sadly now folk look at a nice restaurant as a posh McDonald's, they ain't got a clue what dining is about.....

Classic!

A simple resolution to your issue: Open your own restaurant business. Then you'll have the privileged right of dictating (enforcing) the patron dress-code restrictions, and personal hygiene standards.

Opening soon- with a legal contract before you eat my stupendously delicious food

All I'm asking- would you go out to eat stinking ?

We stopped off and at outside the pub after our cycling today, and people were buckling at the knees as they walked past

Well.

It's seems the answer is

1. I'm probably a prissy queen who should open a restaurant with a very strict dress code.

2 I live in a total cesspit, I should expect smelly low life - because it's where I live- I should move to Monaco and rub shoulders with Brad Pitt

3 . I should not care- and should change my attitude to Crocs

4. After every evening I should retire ( from the ladies- unlikely) and drink huge amounts of port and smoke cigars.

5. No one seems to have actually said- no it is not acceptable, many excuses.

6 . The OP is signing off- at least I have made an attempt to respond- which is a damn sight more than many who start new threads.

I 'm not sure I would rank gambling any higher than prostitution

Well.

It's seems the answer is

1. I'm probably a prissy queen who should open a restaurant with a very strict dress code.

2 I live in a total cesspit, I should expect smelly low life - because it's where I live- I should move to Monaco and rub shoulders with Brad Pitt

4. After every evening I should retire ( from the ladies- unlikely) and drink huge amounts of port and smoke cigars.

6 . The OP is signing off- at least I have made an attempt to respond- which is a damn sight more than many who start new threads.

Think I pretty much agreed it was not acceptable and you weren't expecting too much....Others broached the same opinion also.....

Key word was decent → some are & others are not and haven't a clue.....Two different sorts.....

There are pigs everywhere in the world → here they can get away with dressing like it....

Yeah you do have to get used to it, or stay in.

Well I am a bit grand- had port laid down for when I was 21. Things have moved on, we opened the port- was not so good.

I'm NOT asking for a suit, black tie outfit etc.

ALL I'm asking that if people go out to a reasonably smart restaurant - they wash and don't wear a Singha vest.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, watch some Hercule Poirot episodes where they have nailed correct attire and behaviour....I lived through that error and have very fond memories..

Sadly now folk look at a nice restaurant as a posh McDonald's, they ain't got a clue what dining is about.....

"I lived through that error"

Freudian slip? gigglem.gif

Obviously you have chosen to explore the seamier side of Pattaya. It might surprise you to know that there is another side to Pattaya that doesn't involve BJ bars

, where people raise families in normal neighbourhoods, but I guess water finds it's own level.

I have a second house in Pattaya.

I have had it for more than a decade.

It's on the dark side.

I have lots of family living there.

You telling me the seedy side passed you by? Never saw it cause you were the other side of Sukhumvit. Do me a favour.

It is no place to raise a family. Schools are terrible, crime is rife and choice in terms of what to do with kids is very limited.

Still, its Bangkok upon sea for us city dwellers that take our families there as we can get there in just over an hour.

But we sure dont go there for the restaurants or nightlife. It's terrible.

Oh No

Off piste again

This has nothing to do with the pros and cons of Pattaya / Jomtien .

If for some weird reason you are obsessed with celebrities - grow up.

Yes I've been out for dinner in Monaco, you assume that the residents here are paupers.

But why comment on Monaco- this is a Thai forum?

If you booked a stay in a sewer, I reckon you'd complain about the smell of shit, too. Edited by pedro01

Well.

It's seems the answer is

It is acceptable.

The business owners accept it.

The customers accept it.

Just you dont. Go somewhere nicer.

They wont let you into Mantra with a wife beater on, will they?