This is why you have to avoid travelling by bus in Thailand!

Asiantravel

Coming down Pratumnak just before lunchtime today Saturday the 30th and I noticed this bus in this very precarious position leaning over on its left side. I assume it was brake failure. Just outside and opposite the Marriott Courtyard hotel.

I watched the horrified expression on many Chinese tourists as their own buses crept past this scene and you could tell they were almost asking themselves could that happen to us?ohmy.png

post-149848-0-30074000-1454141244_thumb.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bus drivers are a menace at the moment in Pattaya. Speeding combined with poor driving. God bless all on the roads with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's not only the drivers it's the condition of the buses themselves. I was walking past seven or eight of them parked along Beach Road and I was looking at the condition of the tyres which were shocking in some cases.

Looking at the pictures I suspect that the driver just took that corner too sharply and didnt go wide enough to clear the concrete bollards on his right. Easy to do if you are distracted by something else or cant see the bollards too clearly.

It's unlikely to be brake failure.

Looking at the pictures I suspect that the driver just took that corner too sharply and didnt go wide enough to clear the concrete bollards on his right. Easy to do if you are distracted by something else or cant see the bollards too clearly.

No No No, we can't have that - you're implying a skill deficiency or error of judgement was the root cause of the accident.

There will be a "legitimate" reason - I'm picking brake failure or a tyre blow out will be reported in Pattaya One in a few days as the cause. facepalm.giffacepalm.gifwhistling.gif

if that was the case then why are the front wheels in that position? Why would the driver have bothered to straighten the front wheels after coming to a grinding halt?

Here's the latest. It only need two cranes to get this bus back on the road.

attachicon.gif12644790_10153352398743091_6997228041662904753_n.jpg

It's now 40 minutes since you reported about the two cranes attempting to move the bus.

I've been wetting myself waiting to know if one (or both) of the cranes are still upright.

Can you give us an update? whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Driving on the expressway in Bangkok yesterday I saw a bus, very similar to the one in the Ops photo. It was listing / leaning quite a lot to the right, it appears the right hand side suspension may have failed.

This didn't stop the Bus from travelling at about 100-120 kmh in convoy with other busses - accident waiting to happen.

OH GREAT!! NOW you tell me. Some months ago, about two hundred klicks south of Chiang Mai coming up from Bkk, the bus driver left the highway and decided to finish the trip up through the bush. Of course, he was sleeping at the time, so his judgement wasn't all that great.

post-216250-0-96263100-1454147968_thumb.

OH GREAT!! NOW you tell me. Some months ago, about two hundred klicks south of Chiang Mai coming up from Bkk, the bus driver left the highway and decided to finish the trip up through the bush. Of course, he was sleeping at the time, so his judgement wasn't all that great.

from what you wrote I feel quite sure you were not on a Nakhon Chai Air bus ( and if I had to use a bus it would be the only bus company I would ever trust in Thailand). There is no excuse for their drivers to fall asleep because on long distances they have two on board. They also have very well maintained buses.

http://www.nca.co.th/main.html

Edited by Asiantravel

If we stopped using buses, minivans, motorcycles, bicycles we could never leave the house. Except planes.. But oh noo, those fall out of sky sometimes too.

And it would be wiser not to walk because sidewalks are bad, we shouldn't cross streets cos there are no regulated crossings. And street food is iffy freshness, water unsafe to swim, beaches dirty, air polluted, locals angry..

Im not afraid to take a bus here at all.

from what you wrote I feel quite sure you were not on a Nakhon Chai Air bus ( and if I had to use a bus it would be the only bus company I would ever trust in Thailand). There is no excuse for their drivers to fall asleep because on long distances they have two on board. They also have very well maintained buses.

http://www.nca.co.th/main.html

I'll second that, anytime! Having travelled about 20 times (over 3 years) between Patts and "middle Issan", I have nothing but praise for them, the drivers, buses, and even hostesses!

You want to blame this on the Bus? I would say The driver may have something to do with this (Can't drive for shit) cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You took this to be serious? Just a little facetiousness. We all know why this occurs, maybe you should just lighten up a little.

if that was the case then why are the front wheels in that position? Why would the driver have bothered to straighten the front wheels after coming to a grinding halt?

That's a good question. The second photo gives a better idea of the angles involved, and looking at it I still suspect that he was indeed trying to take the corner but didn't quite manage it.

I actually have a licence to drive those types of coaches, and I did so for a while in the dim and distant past.