Sir Terry Wogan: Veteran broadcaster dies aged 77

Jonathan Fairfield

Sir Terry Wogan: Veteran broadcaster dies aged 77

LONDON:-- Veteran BBC broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan has died aged 77, after a short illness, his family has confirmed.

In a statement, they said: "Sir Terry Wogan died today after a short but brave battle with cancer.

"He passed away surrounded by his family. While we understand he will be missed by many, the family ask that their privacy is respected at this time."

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-01-31

An off-topic post and the (sensible) reply removed.

In my early days in Thailand I used to download Wake up to Wogan (on dial-up), burn it to a CD, and listen to yesterday's news in the car on the way into Bangkok every morning.

I still have some of the disks, I expect I'll be listening tomorrow.

An off-topic post and the (sensible) reply removed.

In my early days in Thailand I used to download Wake up to Wogan (on dial-up), burn it to a CD, and listen to yesterday's news in the car on the way into Bangkok every morning.

I still have some of the disks, I expect I'll be listening tomorrow.

I hope you have backups -- those could become collectors items now.

Sir Terry Wogan was loved by everyone and did a remarkable job of reaching out to the world in a seemingly effortless way. A great loss.

Eurovision will never be the same...

He hadn't done Eurovision for sometime, he quit in 2008 his place being taken by another Irishman; Graham Norton.

Terry Wogan: from son of an Irish grocer to legendary broadcaster

Wogan covered the Eurovision Song Contest for BBC radio for the first time in 1971 and began his TV coverage of the event in 1973. He went on to cover the contest for UK and Irish audiences for more than three decades. “All I’ve gained by watching the Eurovision Song Contest over the years is a numbing of the prefrontal lobes,” Wogan once said. “Ten seconds after the contest has finished, I’ve forgotten every song … The whole thing has become an astounding, huge, grandiose load of rubbish.

R.I.P. Sir Terry; you will be much missed.

Wonderful man in so many ways ...remember him as far back on a RTE program called Jackpot .. No doubt under pressure back in the 70s/80s with the IRA problems but in a true professional way carried on as a friend to everyone. One of the greats to departed .. RIP and thank u.

Probably the only male BBC Radio/TV DJ of the 70's era not to feature in Operation Yewtree... whistling.gif

Yeh what are the odds.... he met and shook hands with the queen on so many occasions. Even got a knighthood.

As did Sir Jimmy.........