PM offers apology for the hot-tempered manner he shown at press interviews

webfact

He apologized. That means a lot in Thailand regarding losing face.

While most Thai think apologizing is losing face, the opposite is true.

I don't understand all the buffoons in TV watching out for every mistake he makes

and seeing everything he says and does through the black glasses.

What alternative is there and which one was before he finally ended the shin mess?

I don't think he is the best imaginable PM - but who else would have ended the shin cleptocrazy?

Being against him is being for the ptp and their mercenaries the reds, because there is no other visible power in Thailand

If you believe, truly believe, that this "mess" started or was to end with the Shins, there may be little hope for you to understand until you look deeper into Thai history for, say, the last 5 decades at least.

Have you heard that there have been nearly 20 attempted or successful coups?

Does that fact make you wonder why?

Do you think to yourself "well, this does seem to be happening on a regular basis. I wonder if there is a bigger issue than the Shins or any single or couple of groups." ?

Thailand is totally messed up. The military is no exception. I pity them all and especially the average Somchais and Ploys.

The "but but but Thaksin!" argument really is flogging a dead horse. Thaksin or his proxy parties have been in charge of Thailand for a combined time of what, ten years?

That's nothing compared to the time of military (or their puppet) governments of the last 75 odd years. Yet Thaksin apparently invented corruption rolleyes.gif

...Nor is he or his family in any way related to the subject of this thread.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We’re starving to death now, investment, trade, economy."

I wonder if it has entered his tiny, man-child brain, that perhaps a lot this has to do with him?

“I myself is worthless.”

Thanks for that confirmation Uncle Too.

Very introspective.

clap2.gif

I don't understand all the buffoons in TV watching out for every mistake he makes

What alternative is there and which one was before he finally ended the shin mess?

I don't think he is the best imaginable PM - but who else would have ended the shin cleptocrazy?

Being against him is being for the ptp and their mercenaries the reds, because there is no other visible power in Thailand

Well HE didn't actually apologise...someone else claims that he did. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter though:The guys great. I can't find fault really. 10/10

Great grammar for an English paper!!

Surely he should come out and apologise himself, instead of having others do it for him, be the man you are meant to be.

Agree, that in itself leads the apology to be inept.

God this guy is such a buffoon.

I don't think anyone really took her seriously ....

I guess you mean aside from the millions who voted for her? Still, what do they matter?

You mean the millions who voted for her brother's political party of which she was the number one party list nominee.

Like her brother before, standing in a constituency is too risky.

oh... talking about diplomatic skills, i guess everyone should learn from the Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak. Despite the domestic and international criticism and pressure about his dictatorship and being accused for taking billions of ringgit from the country.. he still act cool and behave very well infront of all the media.... clap2.gif

Press reported that he locked himself in his office for a whole day and only allow his deputy to see him. He is fast losing himself and his incompetency is showing up each day. We got 18 or more months to see a full melt-down of this once proud man.

If you believe, truly believe, that this "mess" started or was to end with the Shins, there may be little hope for you to understand until you look deeper into Thai history for, say, the last 5 decades at least.

Have you heard that there have been nearly 20 attempted or successful coups?

Does that fact make you wonder why?

Do you think to yourself "well, this does seem to be happening on a regular basis. I wonder if there is a bigger issue than the Shins or any single or couple of groups." ?

Thailand is totally messed up. The military is no exception. I pity them all and especially the average Somchais and Ploys.

The "but but but Thaksin!" argument really is flogging a dead horse. Thaksin or his proxy parties have been in charge of Thailand for a combined time of what, ten years?

That's nothing compared to the time of military (or their puppet) governments of the last 75 odd years. Yet Thaksin apparently invented corruption rolleyes.gif

...Nor is he or his family in any way related to the subject of this thread.

that's true. But as a background comment, many politicians, self proclaimed leaders, and power grabbers throughout Asian, African and South American countries don't like being questioned; and clearly demonstrate that dislike.

Even in the West, where politicians have to be more thick skinned and able to look after themselves verbally whilst retaining their calm, some like Sturgeon can't always help themselves.

Why anyone expects a career senior military officer to suddenly develop diplomatic political skills, and tolerate answering back or order questioning mystifies me. Not his skill set.

I dont expect The General to have great media handling skills as he has been a military man all his life and not for a good while I imagine, had much experience in being questioned..... however I would expect in consideration of his role, that he has retained the services of a few good men who can render meaningful and expert guidance as to handling the media...... I would expect him to be schooled and to some degree exhibit a growing proficiency in media handling .. Specifically

1) Never lose your cool in front of the media.. smile even when its killing you inside.... .. no question/ statement or position as posed by the media should ever be seen to antagonise or annoy .... like sharks in bloody water they are attracted to it as it makes news....and sure as the Sun rises each day they will try and reopen the wound at every occasion thereafter

2) Never reply to a question with a question.. such as "you think we are not trying ?" it sounds like its almost an aggressive, quasi apologetic stance of defeat .

3) Unless to the question posed , it has a favourable answer.or spin you can thus place on it .. never, never , never answer the question as asked.... " Thank you, its a good question but the real underlying significant point here is " and then proceed to give three points at length, they need not be related whatsoever to the question asked in fact preferably not ..if interrupted hold up your hand, small and say "I'm sorry , could you please let me answer the question as asked"... and then proceed back to your three points.. no reporter will dare question you and by the time you finish your three points they will have forgotten what the original question was anyway and will be impatient to ask their own question.

4) If you field a question that is remotely close to a question asked previously or even at a past press conference... refer back to that " thank you for that question but I believe I covered that in the Press conference on Jan 12th"

5) Select a journalist or publication whom you feel will present a balanced and moderate view perhaps leaning to your side but not OTT... grant a 30 minute question and answer session and have your PR team release to the papers / publications after it has been vetoed....... your focus and theme should be " for the greater good and future of Thailand" dwell not on water holes and who dug em but talk of Thailand in bigger terms in what your vision is and then come back to the plans and steps you are making sure happen to effect this....

6) Not every question warrants a response.... " Sorry I dont see the relevance to that question at this point in time".. Next question please

7) Last but not least "smile"....... a grimace and show of annoyance just adds more blood in the water to the frenzied pack.....

While no-one expects a Statesman like stance from a career military man they dont expect a petulant aggressive response either ..... get a few good people , polish up your act some and then start turning these opportunities around such that both domestically and internationally their is an air of quiet and assured confidence in the policies and endeavours your are undertaking .....

Press reported that he locked himself in his office for a whole day and only allow his deputy to see him. He is fast losing himself and his incompetency is showing up each day. We got 18 or more months to see a full melt-down of this once proud man.

Which press would that be Eric?

oh... talking about diplomatic skills, i guess everyone should learn from the Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak. Despite the domestic and international criticism and pressure about his dictatorship and being accused for taking billions of ringgit from the country.. he still act cool and behave very well infront of all the media.... clap2.gif

probably because he's a die-hard psychopath and prayuth is not...

Which press would that be Eric?

Shouldn't be allowed to be spoon feed. Have a read in Nation. Whole day remained in office and only allowed Theerchai to meet him. Just 1 visitor for a full day. He is really hurting or sulking after the outburst.

he's doing a pretty good job considering the mess left by his predecessors ...

somehow I just couldn't see Yingluck on the podium at the UN convention in the US recently ... I don't think anyone really took her seriously ....

Thank god someone with some balls could step up to the plate ... wai2.gif

Yes do verry good job thats why 75 % down or more for no investment in Thailand and i think from Japan 85 % down :-)

And farm income down 30 % in the past 1-2 years (Bank of Thailand)......due to falling produce and prices...go figure...

Isn't one of the most common lines used here in thailand " may hurt the image of Thailand "

I THINK HE NAILED IT

But no matter how many times this country begins to lose more and more face in the modern International society, the stubborn draconian regimes are doing the same old procedures again, aka insanity aka FACE-sanity..... aka no matter how much face you lose, you try to save it with the same old methods and hope for different results....

I dont expect The General to have great media handling skills as he has been a military man all his life and not for a good while I imagine, had much experience in being questioned..... however I would expect in consideration of his role, that he has retained the services of a few good men who can render meaningful and expert guidance as to handling the media...... I would expect him to be schooled and to some degree exhibit a growing proficiency in media handling .. Specifically

1) Never lose your cool in front of the media.. smile even when its killing you inside.... .. no question/ statement or position as posed by the media should ever be seen to antagonise or annoy .... like sharks in bloody water they are attracted to it as it makes news....and sure as the Sun rises each day they will try and reopen the wound at every occasion thereafter

2) Never reply to a question with a question.. such as "you think we are not trying ?" it sounds like its almost an aggressive, quasi apologetic stance of defeat .

3) Unless to the question posed , it has a favourable answer.or spin you can thus place on it .. never, never , never answer the question as asked.... " Thank you, its a good question but the real underlying significant point here is " and then proceed to give three points at length, they need not be related whatsoever to the question asked in fact preferably not ..if interrupted hold up your hand, small and say "I'm sorry , could you please let me answer the question as asked"... and then proceed back to your three points.. no reporter will dare question you and by the time you finish your three points they will have forgotten what the original question was anyway and will be impatient to ask their own question.

4) If you field a question that is remotely close to a question asked previously or even at a past press conference... refer back to that " thank you for that question but I believe I covered that in the Press conference on Jan 12th"

5) Select a journalist or publication whom you feel will present a balanced and moderate view perhaps leaning to your side but not OTT... grant a 30 minute question and answer session and have your PR team release to the papers / publications after it has been vetoed....... your focus and theme should be " for the greater good and future of Thailand" dwell not on water holes and who dug em but talk of Thailand in bigger terms in what your vision is and then come back to the plans and steps you are making sure happen to effect this....

6) Not every question warrants a response.... " Sorry I dont see the relevance to that question at this point in time".. Next question please

7) Last but not least "smile"....... a grimace and show of annoyance just adds more blood in the water to the frenzied pack.....

While no-one expects a Statesman like stance from a career military man they dont expect a petulant aggressive response either ..... get a few good people , polish up your act some and then start turning these opportunities around such that both domestically and internationally their is an air of quiet and assured confidence in the policies and endeavours your are undertaking .....

Quote : 'I dont expect The General to have great media handling skills as he has been a military man all his life and not for a good while I imagine, had much experience in being questioned..... however I would expect in consideration of his role, that he has retained the services of a few good men who can render meaningful and expert guidance as to handling the media...... I would expect him to be schooled and to some degree exhibit a growing proficiency in media handling'.

It has nothing to do with this, it is his faulty personality.

Quote : 'I dont expect The General to have great media handling skills as he has been a military man all his life and not for a good while I imagine, had much experience in being questioned..... however I would expect in consideration of his role, that he has retained the services of a few good men who can render meaningful and expert guidance as to handling the media...... I would expect him to be schooled and to some degree exhibit a growing proficiency in media handling'.

It has nothing to do with this, it is his faulty personality.

I cant really comment as I dont know his personality but certainly as a military man like most others there is a gruffness and no nonsense attitude which you cant blame him for ... however given the alternatives and for Thailand to have a hope of growth and prosperity especially as in the next few years there could be considerable upheaval, then I think he is possibly best man for the job at present. Having said that he needs to learn how to woo people and get them on board with what he is doing.... the local press, the international press and the populace........he has allowed this whole question of "when is the election/ " to become a huge issue when in reality it never should have been specifically tabled rather a series of points and significant accomplishments/ steps forward to be achieved before "we are ready for election" should have been the strategy....... I dont think the advice and guidance he gets in this regards is very good or maybe to your point the advice is good but he is of such an ilk that he doesn't listen to it ........regardless the image portrayed is not helping him.

he's doing a pretty good job considering the mess left by his predecessors ...

somehow I just couldn't see Yingluck on the podium at the UN convention in the US recently ... I don't think anyone really took her seriously ....

Thank god someone with some balls could step up to the plate ... wai2.gif

Yes do verry good job thats why 75 % down or more for no investment in Thailand and i think from Japan 85 % down :-)

In case you hadn't noticed the whole World is going down the gurgler, especially Western nations. In fact US and UK only beat TH by .05% in GDP growth stakes for 2015. PNG and Ethiopia topped those stats!

"The premier's mood in the morning was already soured by the media questions in regard to the water management plan, but PM Prayut stopped short to say anything, when asked what set him off."

"Stupid. Try finding an answer yourself (rather than asking everything). Aren’t you all already smart?" Read the news. I do, and that's why I know things," he uttered in a verbal tirade. blink.png

cheesy.gif

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-erupts-after-questions-about-cruel-charter-30278403.html

This reminds me of another occasion where the PM told off an Australian reporter, who, in typical reporter fashion, was trying to trigger an incident rather than actually collect information. She knew what buttons to push, she pushed them ... and it worked. The PM kind of blew it, the cameramen kept filming, the rant was in the news, and the reporter was in heaven (I bet).

So ... what does that tell us ? It tells us that this PM is not a politician. He's an Army General. Big news, huh ?

Now here's the funny part : all around the world, and especially in our beautiful Western demockracies, everyone, and I mean everyone complains that politicians have become incapable of being truthful, spontaneous, bold, the way Churchill was for instance. Western politicians are vilified for speaking 'waffle', being coached by media experts and turning with the wind (read opinion polls). Hell, some of them are/were even media tycoons, like Berlusconi. Whatever they do and say is done and said with the media in mind and for media effect, rather than with a respectable political agenda.

To make things worse, their mandates are so short that there can be no long term or even middle term policy any more. On big boats, captains know that there is a delay between the moment you turn the helm and the boat actually starts turning. The bigger the boat, the longer the delay. It's the same in politics, of course, but the media have managed to impose such a frenetic pace that no one can include the time factor any more, and act rationally.

Western politics thus have become a pathetic reality (?) show where presidents spend more time rushing to the latest disaster scene than actually doing their job. It feels like a permanent 'damage control' situation. Not exactly the best conditions for long-sighted, well thought-out, daring policies.

In recent history there are few examples of Generals mixing well with democracy. General De Gaulle was an interesting example. He was undoubtedly intelligent, honest, and with a vested interest in wanting the best for his country. He is also famous for a number of foot-in-mouth public statements (his "Vive le Québec libre!" delivered in Montreal on 24 July 1967 created quite a stir) which present day politicians would certainly never make, and were typical of his 'military approach'.

The present Thai PM is not used to being a politician, that's for sure. The thing is, when you're a high rank Army guy, you are used to giving orders that no one would dare challenge. You are used to being treated with the utmost respect and when contradiction must be presented, it is offered with such an array of precautions, perfume and sweetening powders that you can actually treat it magnanimously (and then ignore it). Imagine going from that into the present day political arena, where media people go for the jugular whenever possible, hunting for the scoop. Pretty much like asking the stage manager to suddenly jump on stage and be the pop star.

I am one of the guys on this Forum who thinks General Prayut did the right thing 2 years ago, and I am not about to change my mind.

Why ? because I was here, I saw, heard and felt that this country was heading straight towards some very ugly events, some of which had already begun, and the powers in charge were not doing anything strong enough to get the country off that dangerous path.

I am not, never was, and never will be a supporter of Franco or Pinochet and consorts, and there is a huge difference between those guys and Prayut. It is extremely dishonest to compare him with them. Western politicians who pounced on him immediately after the coup, advocating the 'return to democracy' ("return" ? ha!) and delivering patronizing advice made me angry because they were at best ill-informed and at worse manipulated by Mr T.'s media team, who, surprise surprise, happened to be a media tycoon himself.

Incidentally these Western do-gooders and democracy advocates were not concerned with the well-being of Thailand. What they were doing was using the situation to make themselves look like 'the good guys'. More media manipulation is what it all was, basically. I can totally understand why this show of hypocrisy infuriated him. Given his position he ought to have kept his anger in check, yes, but, well, see above.

So ... the General saved his country from chaos, yes he did, he won the battle, but then what next ? Did he win the war ? It's too early to say.

At any rate, and for better or worse, he found himself in a new set of clothes he was not used to wearing in the least. The fact that his intention was always the good of Thailand is not in question. However his idea of what's good for Thailand is his, and no matter how respectable it is, there should be room for other ideas, other proposals. Is that happening ? Hum ...

Also, people around him should not be sycophantic, but is that feasible ? Only he knows, because he's the one who chooses them. Only he can move from being a General to being a Prime Minister. If he managed to combine the best of both functions, he would become a great statesman. Efficiency, courage, authority, righteousness on the one hand, flexibility, astuteness, and a thick skin in front of journalists on the other ... I don't care if the numerous bar-stool politicians on this forum call me naive because I call them cynics, but this latest apology by Prayut is encouraging and a good sign, especially in this country and from a person in his position.

Edited by Yann55

Well, that's a great message for all to hear: We're starving, investment, trade, economy" At least he had the good grace to apologise but will he never learn any diplomatic skills? Rhetorical question.

But the big question Prbkk is whether he did apologise. At the moment we only have his spokesman saying so, not very reliable evidence.