Saudi official says kingdom ready to send troops to Syria

webfact

Saudi official says kingdom ready to send troops to Syria

CAIRO (AP) — A Saudi military spokesman said Thursday the kingdom is ready to send ground troops to Syria to fight Islamic State group provided coalition leaders agree during an upcoming meeting in Brussels.

Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri told The Associated Press that Saudi Arabia has taken part in coalition airstrikes against IS since the U.S.-led campaign began in September 2014, but could now provide ground troops.

The United States is scheduled to convene a meeting of defense ministers from countries fighting IS in Brussels this month.

"We are determined to fight and defeat Daesh," Asiri said, using the Arabic acronym for IS. He didn't elaborate on how many troops the kingdom would send.

Saudi Arabia is deeply involved in Yemen's civil war, where it is fighting Iranian-backed Shiite rebels. Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries have long viewed Iran as a regional menace, and Riyadh and Tehran back opposite sides in the wars in Syria and Yemen.

A spokesman said the U.S. State Department had no immediate comment on the issue of Saudi Arabia's involvement, but added that "in general we want members of the coalition against Daesh to look for ways to do more and to contribute more."

Asiri's announcement came shortly after Russia said it suspects Turkey of planning a military invasion of Syria.

Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said Thursday in a statement that the Russian military has registered "a growing number of signs of hidden preparation of the Turkish armed forces for active actions on the territory of Syria."

He said images of a checkpoint on the Turkish-Syrian border taken in late October and late January show a buildup of transportation infrastructure that could be used for moving in troops, ammunition and weapons.

The announcement came a day after U.N.-led peace talks in Geneva were suspended for three weeks.

The United States blames both Syria's government and Russia for stalling the peace negotiations. Syrian government troops, backed by Russian airstrikes, have increased the pace of attacks on opposition forces in recent days as the talks faltered.

"We believe that the airstrikes alone are not the perfect solution," Asiri said in another interview with the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya TV.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-05

All foreign troops currently in Syria should leave. Too complicated now...

Agreed, this is a fight that should be spearheaded by other Muslim nations in that region and around the world.

The more western influence there is the more the extremists will use that to rally more infidel haters for the next round of lunatic recruiting.

If the USA kept out of that region in the first place there would be no ISIS.

But the 'Cartel' has just got things right where they need them.

They must protect the petrodollar and having the correct 'installed' government in Syria is a vital link in their chain.

There's no going back now, things will intensify and of course the barbaric Saudis just can't wait to amp it up a notch.

Sending Saudi troops to Syria won't solve any problems.

It will make a bad situation even worse.

I disagree, modern well trained special forces would make mincemeat out of ISIS' especially if not hampered by restrictive rules of engagement so popular with liberals. This is not a comment on Saudi motives overall.

P.s I believe Saudi or GCC special forces are already in Syria and the news is belatedly catching up with this.

Saudi cooperates with Turkey. Turkey wants to stop Russia in Sirya. I do not doubt any moment that Putin (and I support him) will use nuclear weapon against Turkey, Saudy and Qatar. Anyway they are the main sponsors of muslims terrorists. So what we will have? no Turkey, SA and Qatar. no terrorists. Very good!!!

Edited by StasD

This will be interesting. The Saudi's are not used to getting their hands dirty. But that said, they are not going to sit by and let the Shiites rule the region. At least this is starting to whittle down to what it was in the first place and that is a sectarian war.

We can expect oil to continue to plummet as both Iran and SA ratchet up the fighting; unless someone does something really silly and spreads the war even wider.

Agreed, this is a fight that should be spearheaded by other Muslim nations in that region and around the world.

The more western influence there is the more the extremists will use that to rally more infidel haters for the next round of lunatic recruiting.

The U.S. stirred up the hornets nest that has always been the Middle East. But no outsiders told them or forced them to be the useless people they are.

simple1, on 05 Feb 2016 - 14:08, said:
jerome2, on 05 Feb 2016 - 13:51, said:

For finish to rape and kill unveiled girls

Assad forces have used rape as a tool of war for years.

http://world.time.com/2012/07/12/is-the-syrian-regime-using-rape-as-a-tactic-of-war/

Rape is a tactic that dates back 1000's of years.

A New York based woman's right's group, who pick up stories on social media can hardly be declared as gospel.

The group’s research includes 81 stories of sexual assault reported since the onset of the Syrian uprising in March 2011, with most of the alleged culprits being the regime’s soldiers or shabiha (plainclothes militia).

81 stories since 2011 hardly an indictment of systematic rape as a tool of war.

Possibly a response that Obama and Hillary or Bernie simply aren't going to continue these expensive wars on behalf of the Arab world. Time Islam got in and sorted all this mess out. It would be good if Russia steps back also.

The West seems to be wasting a whole pile of money fighting wars that really should be sorted by the region.

Can these Saudis fight? I hope so.

Russia, Iran, Saudia Arabia and Turkey are the major combatants now. Not the US. Not the West. These 4 are causing the most problems. Leave and things would calm down. Can't blame the US exclusively for the current crisis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35495157

Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees are moving to Turkey's border to flee heavy fighting near the city of Aleppo, officials and activists have said.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said up to 70,000 may be heading to the border, while a monitoring group put the number at about 40,000.

Intense Russian air strikes have helped Syria's government troops make advances near the country's largest city.

Bombing indiscriminately, and killing lots of innocent civilians. Congrats to Putin.

They must protect the petrodollar and having the correct 'installed' government in Syria is a vital link in their chain.

There's no going back now, things will intensify and of course the barbaric Saudis just can't wait to amp it up a notch.

I would have asked in what way Syria is a vital link in anything to do with the petrodollar, but that might result in the usual convulsed and over-reaching conspiracy theories. While it is nice and tidy to tie almost any conflict to a handful of often quoted causes, it doesn't quite relate to how complex things are.

Sending Saudi troops to Syria won't solve any problems.

It will make a bad situation even worse.

I disagree, modern well trained special forces would make mincemeat out of ISIS' especially if not hampered by restrictive rules of engagement so popular with liberals. This is not a comment on Saudi motives overall.

P.s I believe Saudi or GCC special forces are already in Syria and the news is belatedly catching up with this.

The Saudi forces, present or otherwise, will do little to turn the tide. Their presence is more show than substance. Special Forces, no matter how well trained, are not the answer by themselves.

Russia,, Iran and their mercenaries are welcomed to do the daily bombing on schedule !!

This war it seems not going to end up soon,, this war is going to get more and more fires..

most likely going to be preparation for a big change in the entire region,, going to remove many cancerous cells.

As far as I read some historic predictions, by the year 2022 will be a tremendous earthquake that will bring end to many corrupted unjust regimes,,

Let's wait and see.. !!! 2022 if Assad still on power or not?

I would have asked in what way Syria is a vital link in anything to do with the petrodollar, but that might result in the usual convulsed and over-reaching conspiracy theories. While it is nice and tidy to tie almost any conflict to a handful of often quoted causes, it doesn't quite relate to how complex things are.

I'm only mildly into certain 'conspiracy' theories. Having said that, even blind freddy can see that Putin Has outplayed Obama in the ME. If Russia ends up with a 'controlling hand' in any number of ME countries then we might just find that Oil, gas and a few other thing may no longer be sold in USD. The result of that would be Catestrophic for the USA. Let's face it, one of the real reasons USA invaded Iraq was due to the fact Sadam had thumbed his nose at the states and wasn't going to play ball the USA way. Clearly, there were no weapons of mass destruction & Saddam, like Bin Laden had nothing to do with the attacks on the USA in 2001.

Anyhoooo, the USA needs to ensure that the cards in the ME fall a certain way, anything else will result In the unthinkable and the BIGWIGS that control the money matters wouldn't like that.

At this point, Russia & China and just one or two important middle eastern countries may end up Changing the rules of the game.

Now I certainly don't blame the USA for the entire mess as several hundred years of history has shown that the political Middle East has been a poo fight, long before these issues came into play.

We are living in very dangerous times & the majority of humans on the earth seem oblivious to it. I'm not one of them. Now the Saudis have an agenda, most of the players do, so this will get interesting.